Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Clubs

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was wondering what the hierarchy of Sussex Clubs was. Think the top 13 are correct and then followed by the Sussex County League, excluding the Dorking infiltrators.

1. BHA- championship
2 Crawley - League One
3. Whitehawk - Conference South
4. Eastbourne Borough - Conference South
5. Bognor Regis - Ryman Premier
6. Peacehaven - Ryman Premier
7. Lewes - Ryman Premier
8. Burgess Hill - Ryman South
9. Worthing - Ryman South
10. Three Bridges - Ryman South
11. East Grinstead - Ryman South
12. Hastings - Ryman South
13. Horsham - Ryman South

Leads on the question of whether we will ever see the day when there are three Sussex clubs in the top four Divisions. Seems unlikely.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I thin Eastbourne Borough have the potential to go further however funds will hold them back.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Was wondering what the hierarchy of Sussex Clubs was. Think the top 13 are correct and then followed by the Sussex County League, excluding the Dorking infiltrators.

1. BHA- championship
2 Crawley - League One
3. Whitehawk - Conference South
4. Eastbourne Borough - Conference South
5. Bognor Regis - Ryman Premier
6. Peacehaven - Ryman Premier
7. Lewes - Ryman Premier
8. Burgess Hill - Ryman South
9. Worthing - Ryman South
10. Three Bridges - Ryman South
11. East Grinstead - Ryman South
12. Hastings - Ryman South
13. Horsham - Ryman South

Leads on the question of whether we will ever see the day when there are three Sussex clubs in the top four Divisions. Seems unlikely.
What dates did each of the above clubs step up to the Ryman and conference leagues from the Sussex County league ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What dates did each of the above clubs step up to the Ryman and conference leagues from the Sussex County league ?

Interesting question, made harder by the fact the leagues keep changing names and I think there was a restructuring of the non league pyramid. You might need to ask an expert which I am not!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I thin Eastbourne Borough have the potential to go further however funds will hold them back.

Probably the best run club out of the lot ( perhaps Bognor too ), its sustainable which in itself is a success, it tends not to get quick injection of cash from wannabee Ambramovich's so you are unlikely to see overpaid players playing below themselves for short term success, which always ends up bankrupting them.

If we are honest beyond Eastbourne and Bognor we cannot be sure if a similar table will show the same teams in 5 years time.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Didn't we have 4 teams in the top 5 divisions a few years back with Albion, Crawley, Lewes and Eastbourne? I think 3 in the top 4 divisions is a stretch, but I could see a day when Sussex have 4 teams again, maybe even 5, getting into the top 5 divisions.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Probably the best run club out of the lot ( perhaps Bognor too ), its sustainable which in itself is a success, it tends not to get quick injection of cash from wannabee Ambramovich's so you are unlikely to see overpaid players playing below themselves for short term success, which always ends up bankrupting them.

If we are honest beyond Eastbourne and Bognor we cannot be sure if a similar table will show the same teams in 5 years time.

Bognor are skint. The club is run on a shoe string. Jack Pearce does a great job down there however I dont think he would want them to go up as I dont know how they could afford the rise in wages.

Bognor need to get more younger fans through the door.

However if you do ever go down nice clubhouse and the pitch is one of the best probably outside the football league. Generally play some good football too.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Bognor are skint. The club is run on a shoe string. Jack Pearce does a great job down there however I dont think he would want them to go up as I dont know how they could afford the rise in wages.

Bognor need to get more younger fans through the door.

However if you do ever go down nice clubhouse and the pitch is one of the best probably outside the football league. Generally play some good football too.

Bognor have always been skint to different degrees, they have never been 'payers', to be fair to Jack he has never let the club get to carried away with periods of success as far as I am aware.

Bognor have always had a good pitch and a genuine ethos how they would prefer to play, so more power to them.

All clubs are skint, its generally a matter of the amount of debt any club has that determines just how skint they are, just having no money is a success :)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Didn't we have 4 teams in the top 5 divisions a few years back with Albion, Crawley, Lewes and Eastbourne? I think 3 in the top 4 divisions is a stretch, but I could see a day when Sussex have 4 teams again, maybe even 5, getting into the top 5 divisions.

Can't see Lewes getting that high up the pyramid again any time soon as they over-stretched themselves last time and nearly went out of business in the process when their backer ran into his own financial difficulties

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Lewes flirted with getting near the football league a few years back making the conference lack of cash to sustain it however killed that dream

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Not with that football ground.

And not with their level of support. I'm not knocking the club, I've got a soft spot for them since living in Peacehaven during the '90's, but they simply don't get enough fans through the gate to support a team in the higher reaches of non-league football.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Lewes flirted with getting near the football league a few years back making the conference lack of cash to sustain it however killed that dream

The problem with Sussex clubs is the lack of infrastructure meaning it needs heavy investment in facilities which is cost prohibitive and which will always limit the ability to climb the pyramid as you have to fund the squad too. Brighton suffered with this as no alternatives to groundshare with and the cost securing facilities to sustain Championship football. Thank god we have Tony Bloom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here