Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dortmund Advice

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
I am taking my son to see Borussia Dortmund v Schalke on Feb 28th for his 21st and we will be making a long weekend of it.

Any advice regarding bars, restaurants things not to miss in and around Dortmund?

Much appreciated in advance

onepostwonder

Nov 8, 2014
industrial city full of factories, cold, and also lots of germans there...............give me spain or italy anyday over that.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Not a great deal to see in Dortmund but it is a fantastic city when the football is on, I have been to the Derby v Schalke a few times and you will love it. Well done for getting tickets. my advice is to stay in Koln (cologne) which is about an hour away by train if you want to see interesting stuff plus trains are free all day on match even as far out as Koln. Its a fantastic place to watch football, give me that over Spain and Italy any day of the week for football experience. The people are great and will love the fact you've come over from England to watch their team.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Long time since I've been but I remember the old town (Altstadt?) area having loads of typically German bars and being very lively and I recall trying to walk off a hangover in the botanical gardens. There are lots of parks which is a bit unusual in an industrial city. Not a lot in Dortmund tbf but with the football and a few beers you will fill the time I suspect. There is some decent shopping too I think in the old town area. The bars do the German thing of marking your drinks on your beer mat to pay at the end and lots do food - pigs hock is usually fabulous with a beer or three!

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Not a great deal to see in Dortmund but it is a fantastic city when the football is on, I have been to the Derby v Schalke a few times and you will love it. Well done for getting tickets. my advice is to stay in Koln (cologne) which is about an hour away by train if you want to see interesting stuff plus trains are free all day on match even as far out as Koln. Its a fantastic place to watch football, give me that over Spain and Italy any day of the week for football experience. The people are great and will love the fact you've come over from England to watch their team.

The Schalke game is always the most contested, on and off the field! Should be a great atmosphere, which you will enjoy. Agree with the post in that koln has far more to offer -Dortmund is industrial. Are you flying in or driving? My aunt lives in Dortmund and we are frequent travellers to Germany so let me know if you want help with regard to travel. Obviously where you fly into, if indeed you are flying, would then influence where it might be better to stay.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Surely it would be better to celebrate a 21st in Manchester and taking in the Albion at Bolton rather than going to Germany.

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
I went to the Dortmund Arsenal champions league fixture and it was the best away ground I have been to, the atmosphere is brilliant and I have never met such friendly fans,
I hope to go back out there soon.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Well done, that's a very hot ticket. Where did you get them from. Bearing in mind the history between us I would look to staying out of town, which isn't great anyway. Consider Dusseldorf which is lovely. For local history visit the mine at Zollverein. It has a good visitors centre with English speaking guides at the weekend.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
industrial city full of factories, cold, and also lots of germans there...............give me spain or italy anyday over that.

Have you ever been?

I went during the world cup in 2006 and I enjoyed it. There are some nice squares with bars/cafes and the stadium is in a leafy park.

And the Germans we met there were without exception helpful and friendly

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
My advice is stay in Dusseldorf or Cologne and train it in. Dortmund isn't great for a weekend. Worth it for the day of the match though and take in the atmosphere. After the game, wander round to the Sudtribune (massive terrace). They'll let you in post game and you can get a feel of just how big it is.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Try and get to an Iserlohne Roosters game while you are there. Not far from Dortmund. I went to their derby with Cologne a few weeks ago and it was a BANGING atmosphere and great experience.

Watch "Stimmung beim Spiel Iserlohn Roosters - Kölner Ha…" on YouTube
Stimmung beim Spiel Iserlohn Roosters - Kölner Ha…: http://youtu.be/5JtNpUPV-hs

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I went last year to see Hamburg at the Signal Iduna or whatever they call it now. We stayed in Cologne and took a train in. I think that the nicer city is Cologne, although you also have Dusseldorf which is nearer - so would go along with [MENTION=13970]Spoon[/MENTION]y and @vicars suggestions. Train was direct and just over an hour.

the main aquare in Dortmund is good for sitting around on match day. Plenty of heated outdoor seating to enjoy a beer and a sausage, and also some great shops to duck into to collect scraves, hats etc before the game. It may be a bit tighter for the Schalke game in terms of security, but having also been to a Cologne v Leverkusen game...that just means a greater police presence rather than segregation and being kept away from one another. They tend to mingle and atmosphere is largely good.

There's plenty at the ground as well. You can buy beer, pork sarnies and from memory they had a band on too. and that is just from the area outside of the ground. Tube in and out was pretty quick. none of the Falmer queues. They shift 80,000 in about 20 mins.

All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Appreciate all the advice and offers of help.

I could only get tickets through the BVB's own travel agency via the club website and so they are in the form of a club package i.e. hotel and ticket together. Booked it in November and it was nearly sold out then. Bit 'plastic' I know but hey ho it's the lads 21st and he has always wanted to go to this derby.

We are certainly going for the football, atmosphere and the beer more than the sights but Koln sounds worth a trip out.

Staying in a hotel in Dortmund city centre and will be driving from central France (where we live) and before anybody asks I am an Albion season tkt holder and manage to get to about 80% of home games!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Never been but I bet you'll have a magnificent time at the "opera house of German football".

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Appreciate all the advice and offers of help.

I could only get tickets through the BVB's own travel agency via the club website and so they are in the form of a club package i.e. hotel and ticket together. Booked it in November and it was nearly sold out then. Bit 'plastic' I know but hey ho it's the lads 21st and he has always wanted to go to this derby.

We are certainly going for the football, atmosphere and the beer more than the sights but Koln sounds worth a trip out.

Staying in a hotel in Dortmund city centre and will be driving from central France (where we live) and before anybody asks I am an Albion season tkt holder and manage to get to about 80% of home games!

Absolutely not plastic, we were in Salzburg just before Christmas and me and my daughter went to Salzburg v Rapid Vienna, just because it was happening while we were there, good fun going to a European game.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Absolutely not plastic, we were in Salzburg just before Christmas and me and my daughter went to Salzburg v Rapid Vienna, just because it was happening while we were there, good fun going to a European game.

I won two tickets to a Chelsea game about four years ago and the stand I was in (the west I recall) was full of Japanese and Scandanavian football tourists with half and half scarves. Now I may be a football tourist for this BVB/Schalke derby but I REFUSE to buy a half and half scarf. I may wear some tight Lederhosen though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here