Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Staplefield Cricket Club - Need YOUR Help....Please Sign

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
The local Parish Council want to make Cricket in the village Cost Neutral, this would mean that the cricket club would have to pick up an minimal additional fee per season of £5000. The club have two sides one on a Saturday who play in the Mid Sussex League and One on a Sunday who play friendlies. We have approx 20 members, you can do the sums!!! the most likely outcome is the club would close down as we cannot afford to pay the money.

We have started a petition to stop them doing it and need your support to keep cricket on the green. The final decision is to be made at a Council Meeting on the 9th Feb.

Thanks for your support.

the link is here:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/947/448/163/

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Done :thumbsup:

I've played there a couple of times, great little ground and a perfect location for a post-match pint. As a bowler though, I think the boundary is too small!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Done.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Signed, of course.

If this fails and they refuse to reinstate the subsidy, there must still be other options open to you? Where does the £5,000 figure come from? Is the council looking after the ground and preparing the pitches? If so, can you not take that on yourselves?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Signed, of course.

If this fails and they refuse to reinstate the subsidy, there must still be other options open to you? Where does the £5,000 figure come from? Is the council looking after the ground and preparing the pitches? If so, can you not take that on yourselves?

Thanks Hans, we have already as a club taken on the maintenance of the pavilion and also the booking of the green, this saved the council £1500 last year. The £5k is made up of getting wickets prepared (not something we could at this stage do in house as the guy who does it belongs to Ansty CC and has been doing it for years, we dont have any players confident enough to prepare a league grade wicket) and other items such as keeping the green cut and tidy, all of which they want to pass on to us. Currently we are charged in the region of £110 per home game rent, this will increase dramatically to an unaffordable level if they pass it all on. We have meet and argued our case, but so far not much joy.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks Hans, we have already as a club taken on the maintenance of the pavilion and also the booking of the green, this saved the council £1500 last year. The £5k is made up of getting wickets prepared (not something we could at this stage do in house as the guy who does it belongs to Ansty CC and has been doing it for years, we dont have any players confident enough to prepare a league grade wicket) and other items such as keeping the green cut and tidy, all of which they want to pass on to us. Currently we are charged in the region of £110 per home game rent, this will increase dramatically to an unaffordable level if they pass it all on. We have meet and argued our case, but so far not much joy.

I've shared this with my own club, have you pinged it around all the local league clubs ? Twitter via people like Bumble and Jon Agnew ? Botham ? Matt Prior ? All got massive followings and will almost certainly retweet it for you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The local Parish Council want to make Cricket in the village Cost Neutral, this would mean that the cricket club would have to pick up an minimal additional fee per season of £5000. The club have two sides one on a Saturday who play in the Mid Sussex League and One on a Sunday who play friendlies. We have approx 20 members, you can do the sums!!! the most likely outcome is the club would close down as we cannot afford to pay the money.

We have started a petition to stop them doing it and need your support to keep cricket on the green. The final decision is to be made at a Council Meeting on the 9th Feb.

Thanks for your support.

the link is here:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/947/448/163/

OK, I've signed it as I do most petitions on NSC based on loyalty to fellow Albion fans. That said, please answer me one question, why should the tax payer help pay people to play cricket ?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I've shared this with my own club, have you pinged it around all the local league clubs ? Twitter via people like Bumble and Jon Agnew ? Botham ? Matt Prior ? All got massive followings and will almost certainly retweet it for you.

We have, and a few others as well, it only started yesterday so not too bad currently. I have emailed the league sides in Mid Sussex as I am on the league list, but not the others. thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here