Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton: this can be us

Despite what some detractors may have to say about our south coast neighbours, nobody can have failed to notice their success this season so far. I for one was backing them to be relegated back to the championship.

With 17 games to go they are sitting pretty in 3rd spot, 5 points clear of the euro drop out (2 of champions league) and just 10 points off the summit. They have taken points of those around them including back to back wins against Arsenal and United in recent weeks.

4 years ago they were promoted as runners up to us in league one. Unlike our first (successful) season in the championship, they romped it to the promised land.

Southampton's academy is well regarded and has produced some gems of late. With our amazing academy up and running, maybe we can dream of the same?

The similarities don't end their though. We both have new grounds with similar capacities and once all has settled down, would likely have similar crowds if enjoying the same results in the same league.

We have recently groaned at the players we have lost and have been a little meh at some of the replacements. In the last year they have shifted out £110m worth of players and have been noted for keeping at least £30m back for a rainy day. This puts our FFP agenda into perspective. They have invested in lesser known players with smaller fees. Difference is, their managers and coaches have go the performances out of them. Maybe CH is about to do the same?

Southampton don't face another top 5 rival in the premiership until mid march. By which time they may have sown up their champions league spot.

I don't want to cover them in any more glory, but there is no reason why this can't be us. Needless to say if the saints are running out at the Neu Camp next season then I will be ever so slightly jealous and the stick we gave them for not keeping up (although this was of course directed st Adkins more than the team) a few seasons back will seem like a distant and very irrelevant memory.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Agreed there is a lot of truth in that post regarding infrastructure, fan base etc....

Fingers crossed Mr Hughton brings some gems in via this transfer window and in the summer. Then we will really have a shot.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The difference being that they have had a top class academy for the last 10 years, made intelligent managerial appointments and have a good recruitment policy.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I should think using the Southampton model is exactly what Tony has in mind. It's probably going to take 5 years before we see the academy producing regular players but now it's in place hopefully it's only a matter of time.

onepostwonder

Nov 8, 2014
This is a smart post from the OP.

I would take it a step further and say that in about 5 years the top two divisions will be a league table of the culmination of [[bank balance, facilities, academy, catchment area]].

In this we are very much premier league........the only think that can f00k it up when the phoenix that is bha starts rising is injuries or a poor manager.

I said after Poyet fluffed the Palace game we will have to wait another 5 or 6 years, and i still stick to that.

Next season we will be there or there abouts, but the season after is the one i see us going up.

Note: Saints are today 6/4 for a top 4 finish, third favorites, with spurs fourth favorites at 6/1. The Saints 6/4 is printing free money.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The difference being that they have had a top class academy for the last 10 years, made intelligent managerial appointments and have a good recruitment policy.

Yep, no-one is denying that we're playing catch-up. But our academy is being built, and we appear to be learning lessons about where and when recruitment penny pinching can be done. I'm far more confident in this club long-term than I've ever been and hope that for the first time since the late 70s, Southampton and the Albion will be similar sized clubs and at the right end of the football pyramid.

One thing is for sure, Portsmouth have been well and truly left behind. It could be two decades before Portsmouth properly challenge either of us again.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I should think using the Southampton model is exactly what Tony has in mind. It's probably going to take 5 years before we see the academy producing regular players but now it's in place hopefully it's only a matter of time.
Which is probably why he employed the man who instigated their academy.
Got him to set up our academy.
But has now sacked him as we enter the 'moment of truth' stage of the operation.

It'll be interesting to see how history will treat David Burke.
Will Kemy et al who win out.
Or will there be a succession of profitable centre backs to change opinions.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One thing is for sure, Portsmouth have been well and truly left behind. It could be two decades before Portsmouth properly challenge either of us again.

Soon to be overtaken by EASTLEIGH.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Soon to be overtaken by EASTLEIGH.

Yes, TWO Southampton postcodes before Portsmouth. Pure chuckles.

And here are a selection of other local teams that could feasibly be above Portsmouth in the league (albeit in the same division) this time next year:
Woking
Aldershot
Basingstoke Town
Whitehawk
Havant & Waterlooville
Gosport Borough
Eastbourne Borough

It really is lovely to see how far they've fallen.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For those not wanting to sell Dunk (which is fair enough)

I think there's something to be said for Southampton's academy making it's name with big transfers and 'promotion' from the yoof set up.

Would The Ox have got his deal had SFC hung onto Walcott 'for just one more season'?

Making that kind of statement must have been like catnip to every half decent teenager (and parent) in a 100 mile radius.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yep, no-one is denying that we're playing catch-up. But our academy is being built, and we appear to be learning lessons about where and when recruitment penny pinching can be done. I'm far more confident in this club long-term than I've ever been and hope that for the first time since the late 70s, Southampton and the Albion will be similar sized clubs and at the right end of the football pyramid.

While this is all true, there are still people on this site - and on the Argus comments page - who want Bloom to get the chequebook out and "bust the bank" for a shot at the PL. It beggars belief that some supporters think the Portsmouth approach is better than the Southampton one. A quick look at the table should demonstrate that emulating Southampton is the only way to go. Let's hope we hear no more of it - or if we do, the simple reply of "Portsmouth" should be enough

#twats

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Completely correct. The OP mentions our "amazing academy" but while it's housed in an impressive facility, buildings and pitches don't produce good players. Good recruitment and coaching (and a lot of luck) are what counts - and then there's the importance of a track record, which persuades players to choose one club over another. When Roy Hodgson makes as many visits to Lancing as he does to Saints' place at Staplewood to watch the youth teams train then we'll know we're there. We've got a long way to go, although we've made a good start.

I'm a little concerned, however, that we don't always seem to be too great at spotting talent already in the club, or holding onto it - Steve Cook and Yaser Kasim spring to mind - but then that's true of a lot of clubs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm a little concerned, however, that we don't always seem to be too great at spotting talent already in the club, or holding onto it - Steve Cook and Yaser Kasim spring to mind - but then that's true of a lot of clubs.

Slightly different cases: I think there was recognition that YK had the talent, it was felt that his other issues weren't worth the hassle. SC was a mistake though - and people on here said so at the time. But that was under Poyet, he was very loath to play youngsters - Garcia, Hyypia and Hughton all seem more willing to give the kids a go

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Southampton almost spunked the family silver (produced by their academy) during the Rupert Lowe years and the club's holding company were in administration only 5 years ago. The Liebherr billions steadied their ship. But even their strategy at the beginning of this season was supposed to herald the ruination of the Southampton dream - according to the great and good of British football punditry - and most vociferously by the Southampton fans themselves.
BHA will follow the Southampton model - not because of Southampton - but because it's the only way for us to survive in the upper-echelons of European football. (The Championship being the wealthiest non-top flight football division in the world and the seventh richest division in Europe - apparently).
We need a production line of talent to fund the future together with some good management and a big slice of luck.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Saints are without doubt the club to model ourselves on going forward. I'd imagine that it will take us a decade or so to get to the stage where our academy will be churning out the calibre of players that theirs does. However, I'm very much with [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] on this - I'm feeling very comfortable with the direction that the club is going in.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I don't even understand how they have done it, never mind us doing it too. Astonishing success compared to the likes of Hull, QPR, Palace, etc

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Southampton's success so far this year should be cheered by the majority of genuine football fans.

At a time when the Premier League is turning into a plaything for oligarchs and sheikhs, a proper club is punching through into the top positions by developing young talent and being shrewd in the transfer market.

It's not simply that we *should* try to follow their example. Frankly, for clubs like Brighton and the majority of the other 92, it's the only option we've got.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here