Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia - how long do you stay for?

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I'm off to Australia in a couple of years time for a mates wedding as I'm the best man. Now the question I have is how long do I stay out there for? Do I just take a couple of weeks holiday or do I go for longer? I have the option of being able to take up to a year off work unpaid and still having my job to go back to.

So any advice/ ideas welcome.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
definitely not just two weeks
you will have the wedding and that will take say one week up
give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the wedding and then travel
other than that ..too little info but it
depends on when the wedding is
do you like cricket crocodiles, kangaroos, surfing etc etc
am guessing but
3 months at least if you have the option/cash etc

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Went for an Ashes series a few years back, ended up staying 2 years then year and half in NZ. As above if you're young enough go for it, and don't forget NZ!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm off to Australia in a couple of years time for a mates wedding as I'm the best man. Now the question I have is how long do I stay out there for? Do I just take a couple of weeks holiday or do I go for longer? I have the option of being able to take up to a year off work unpaid and still having my job to go back to.

:thumbsup: !!!!!!!!!!

I went for a year, did a bit of casual work to keep the pennies rolling in and still didn't get to see everything I wanted to see. Best place I've ever been. You don't get an opportunity to take a year off work AND still have a job when you come back very often - grab it and run. Have fun.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Now the question I have is how long do I stay out there for? Do I just take a couple of weeks holiday or do I go for longer? I have the option of being able to take up to a year off work unpaid and still having my job to go back to.

The club is in good hands now Tony, go and enjoy your curtailed break down under. Pile those chips up.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We just stayed for the one night when we went but my wife did say that an extra night would have been nice so we could have done the Northern bit.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We went for 4 weeks, which included 2 night stops at Singapore on the way down and Hong Kong on the way back.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
My daughter and her fella went for six months, absolutely loved it. If they didn't both have very strong family bonds in England I am sure they would have emigrated. If you have the opportunity to stay for one year then go for it - and enjoy !!! If you are young with no ties or commitments this is the time to travel and have an amazing adventure !!!

Albion Pearl Jammer

Jan 4, 2015
Eastbourne
:thumbsup: !!!!!!!!!!

I went for a year, did a bit of casual work to keep the pennies rolling in and still didn't get to see everything I wanted to see. Best place I've ever been. You don't get an opportunity to take a year off work AND still have a job when you come back very often - grab it and run. Have fun.

Totally agree with this, I spent 18 months there in my early 20's on working holiday, best time of my life. I would encourage anyone who has a chance to see some of the world and Oz is great.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
definitely not just two weeks
you will have the wedding and that will take say one week up
give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the wedding and then travel
other than that ..too little info but it
depends on when the wedding is
do you like cricket crocodiles, kangaroos, surfing etc etc
am guessing but
3 months at least if you have the option/cash etc

Don't forget the flies

Oct 2, 2008
Been in the same position.....first trip to Oz was to be best man at my brothers wedding. Went for 3 weeks but really wish I could have stayed longer. Stay as long as you can - Australia is absolutely amazing and will blow you away.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
We went for 4 weeks, which included 2 night stops at Singapore on the way down and Hong Kong on the way back.

Am going for four weeks starting middle of this February, with wife and two other family members.

Limiting visit to east coast, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane.

Would like to have gone longer but unfortunately can't.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We saw an awful lot in 3 months but it was fairly exhausting. Don't try and do it all would be my advice - that place is vast!

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Ive been here a year and im never leaving. Sydney is the friendliest city ive ever been to, absolutely brilliant people here

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd say what a combination of the other posters have said so far

- spend some time in Singapore on the way out (3 days is probably enough) and Thailand on the way back (a week minimum)
- don't try and see it all (it takes 6 or 7 hours just to fly over it!). for a first visit the East coast is your best bet (Sydney, Byron Bay, Brisbane, maybe a bit of the Great Barrier Reef). Save Ayres Rock and Perth for another trip

Six to eight weeks would be about the minimum I'd suggest

Fantastic place!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
First time I went I stayed 4 months.
Second time I stayed 4 weeks.
Third time was 4 days.

Clearly a bit pointless me thinking of going back as I'll have to leave after 4 hours...

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Australia is massive. Most Australians have never seen all of it! My advice is simple - go to Melbourne, find a lovely coffee shop and never ever leave again except to go to watch Hawthorn in Aussie Rules football. aussie Rules is an amazing game and we ought to get the Hawthorn coach over for a month or so to putting fighting spirit and a 'we can't lose' philosophy in the Albion. Melbourne is the best city in the world - in the best country.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here