Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not pulled up any trees this season, but looked decent on Saturday.

Can we find a STARTING big bloke so that Baldock can play off him please? Ideally, binning CMS to fund it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Haven't we already got that COG in the wheel

Two things:
a) he rarely starts, for whatever reason
b) I'm guessing he's on his way. If that's the case, then he needs to be replaced with someone Hughton feels is worth starting a game with.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I still think Baldock will score some important goals for us, he just needs a foil and a decent run of games.

Stockport seagull

Jan 10, 2015
Matt smith is looking great at Bristol City on loan, looks like a championship player to me , just needs to find somewhere to settle, can't see there being a massive fee either

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
I still think Baldock will score some important goals for us, he just needs a foil and a decent run of games.
I completely agree. He's got something about him but needs games, service, luck and a few goals. He'll defo come good

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I thought Baldock was disappointing on Saturday albeit he was played out left which I didn't get at all. Doesn't look like his position. But why didn't he shoot when the Charlton keeper mis-kicked? There was an open goal to take aim at but he didn't even manage to get any sort of shot away. I'm still hoping he'll come good but it's been a very slow start to his Albion career.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was disappointed with Baldock and CMS on Saturday. Didn't think either looked like scoring in a month of Sundays.

Chris O'Grady did really well when he came on. Held the ball up, linked play, suddenly their back four looked really panicked. I'd go as far as to say that Chris coming on secured the 3 points, because we were rocking for a while.

Baldock looked like he froze in indecision on a couple of occasions where he needed to be decisive either take a shot, take the last man on, or fire off a quick pass. He seemed to think about all those options, then lost the opportunity for all three. His through ball to JFC was sweet, but thought he offered very little to be honest.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I completely agree. He's got something about him but needs games, service, luck and a few goals. He'll defo come good

The biggest thing he needs is confidence. He looked low on it on Saturday, got in some decent positions, but as I said above, his decision making or lack of it was poor.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was disappointed with Baldock and CMS on Saturday. Didn't think either looked like scoring in a month of Sundays.

Chris O'Grady did really well when he came on. Held the ball up, linked play, suddenly their back four looked really panicked. I'd go as far as to say that Chris coming on secured the 3 points, because we were rocking for a while.

Baldock looked like he froze in indecision on a couple of occasions where he needed to be decisive either take a shot, take the last man on, or fire off a quick pass. He seemed to think about all those options, then lost the opportunity for all three. His through ball to JFC was sweet, but thought he offered very little to be honest.

Very good points. We were sat right in front of the warm up goal when the Albion were doing their pre-match shooting practice and Baldock did not miss one, tucked in to the corner every time. Then, come game time, he was completely indecisive. COG was great when he came on, a proper number 9s performance that, as you say, really worried the Charlton back four.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Thought Baldock put in a good shift on Saturday, however playing him out wide will never bring out the best in him

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Thought Baldock put in a good shift on Saturday, however playing him out wide will never bring out the best in him

Time and again we've heard similar comments about Barnes and the many times he was played as anything but an out and out striker. I'm not saying Baldock is as good as he was but it certainly wouldn't hurt to play him as an actual striker.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Exactly the same things people have been saying about CMS for 3 years

But all the while he's being played out of position, he still gives more to the team overall than CMS. LOVELY ball through to JFC for that chance, and far more intelligent runs than CMS.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Time and again we've heard similar comments about Barnes and the many times he was played as anything but an out and out striker. I'm not saying Baldock is as good as he was but it certainly wouldn't hurt to play him as an actual striker.

Still hasn't been given a run of games yet in his actual position.

But all the while he's being played out of position, he still gives more to the team overall than CMS. LOVELY ball through to JFC for that chance, and far more intelligent runs than CMS.

CMS looking good in training.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

CMS was his same old self, lots of running around and a very poor first touch.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
CMS was his same old self, lots of running around and a very poor first touch.

I actually thought he was poorer and more ineffective than usual. HORRIFIC first touch as per, but it also seemed like he'd almost given up on running about towards the end. And "running about" is the one thing he's great at.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't go, so I'm not going to compare, but the commentators said CMS was making good runs and he won the free-kick that led to the goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here