Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does the BBC get too much of our Money?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Interested in views. I enjoy the BBC in its various guises, notably The TV channels, radio 4, 6 music and its website, and happy to pay the fee. But...went to their site to see what american football is on tonight and was blown away by what they cover, eg well, american football, bowls and judo to name a few. Small example i know but i am sure illustrative of the funding they get.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I consider the licence fee to be the most 'value for money'cost of the year. I listen to Radio 2 all day at work, Radio 5 in the evenings, when I watch telly its usually BBC1 or BBC2, and really get most of my news coverage from them, so well worth the fee for me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I consider the licence fee to be the most 'value for money'cost of the year. I listen to Radio 2 all day at work, Radio 5 in the evenings, when I watch telly its usually BBC1 or BBC2, and really get most of my news coverage from them, so well worth the fee for me

This.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Interested in views. I enjoy the BBC in its various guises, notably The TV channels, radio 4, 6 music and its website, and happy to pay the fee. But...went to their site to see what american football is on tonight and was blown away by what they cover, eg well, american football, bowls and judo to name a few. Small example i know but i am sure illustrative of the funding they get.

They do have a commercial arm which may help fund the American football coverage in your example.

Versus SKY and Virgin it's excellent value for money and of course no breaks in programmes for pesky adverts!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wouldnt happen in Germany.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Like most people, probably don't use 95% of the BBC's output. Up until this year I was happy with that. Though not so anymore, seeing as how they blatantly lied through through their teeth re the Top Gear Argentina Xmas Special so as not to damage their worldwide cash cow. Utterly shameful stance by the corporation. Hopefully will come back to haunt them bigtime. C*nts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The BBC is the only VFM I pay.

TV, radio, I-player and podcasts, and no freakin adverts.
I don't understand why anyone would do the corporation down.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
They don't cover the American football well... But understand your point. I don't think they get too much of our money. Pretty reasonable price for the year!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Like most people, probably don't use 95% of the BBC's output. Up until this year I was happy with that. Though not so anymore, seeing as how they blatantly lied through through their teeth re the Top Gear Argentina Xmas Special so as not to damage their worldwide cash cow. Utterly shameful stance by the corporation. Hopefully will come back to haunt them bigtime. C*nts.

It was clear the number plate wasn't a coincidence but not sure i would damn the whole corporation on that incidence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm far more annoyed by the money given to Richard Branson to run trains, which not only do I not use but the people who do still pay through the nose for a ticket.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I'm far more annoyed by the money given to Richard Branson to run trains, which not only do I not use but the people who do still pay through the nose for a ticket.

That's free enterprise.
Everything private is better than anything public is, or ever can be.
I don't have to prove this, mind you -- it just is.
It's axiomatic.

Didn't you learn anything during the '80's and 90's?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I don't watch much telly but the radio stations are wonderful value for money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here