Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for Brighton historians

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Town historians that is, not the football team.

A work colleague, who didn't think he had any connection with Sussex, is doing his family tree and found out that in the 1930s his gran lived at number 4 Ditchling Road. Given that buildings have come and gone since that time (to say nothing of any house re-numberings that may have taken place) has anybody any idea of where that is and what is there now? He's tried google and I've tried the excellent James Gray photo collection, but we've drawn blanks,

Ta.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I would suspect that it is right down the bottom by St Peters Church on the west side opposite the south end of the Level.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I can't seem to embed the Google image, but yes it does exist. Google street view shows it clearly.

Next to Homelets Estate Agents as Ditchling Road turns into Union Road, opposite the north-west corner of The Level.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Numbers 2-8 Ditchling Road actually front onto Union Road opposite the north west corner of The Level, see attachment. Number 2 has a clinic in the basement whilst number 6 is Homelets letting agency. Numbers 4 and 8 are residences.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 14.54.58.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 14.54.58.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 649

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Thanks guys, NSC comes up trumps again!

ToT, was that #4 back in the 1930s do you know? Or has it been re-numbered?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Thanks guys, NSC comes up trumps again!

ToT, was that #4 back in the 1930s do you know? Or has it been re-numbered?

Yes it has always been number 4, Ditchling Road originally began at the junction with Union Road and Baker Street, with the road running south to St Peters on the western side of The Level known as Brunswick Place. All house numbers on the eastern side are even, those on the western side are odd.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Yes it has always been number 4, Ditchling Road originally began at the junction with Union Road and Baker Street, with the road running south to St Peters on the western side of The Level known as Brunswick Place. All house numbers on the eastern side are even, those on the western side are odd.
Again, thanks.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I suggest contacting Nick Tyson of the Regency Town House (10 Brunswick Square, http://www.rth.org.uk/) in Hove, who runs the MyHouseMyStreet project (http://www.mhms.org.uk/). I think they are trying to chronicle the history (who lived where and what they did) of most of the streets in central Brighton. They were working on North Laine when I had contact with them. I nearly ended up volunteering for them after completing my Masters degree (on John Nash, so I had a considerable interest in the Pavilion), but was too committed to my church in central London by then.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
I suggest contacting Nick Tyson of the Regency Town House (10 Brunswick Square, http://www.rth.org.uk/) in Hove, who runs the MyHouseMyStreet project (http://www.mhms.org.uk/). I think they are trying to chronicle the history (who lived where and what they did) of most of the streets in central Brighton. They were working on North Laine when I had contact with them. I nearly ended up volunteering for them after completing my Masters degree (on John Nash, so I had a considerable interest in the Pavilion), but was too committed to my church in central London by then.
Thanks, I'll pass that on to my colleague.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
Town historians that is, not the football team.

A work colleague, who didn't think he had any connection with Sussex, is doing his family tree and found out that in the 1930s his gran lived at number 4 Ditchling Road. Given that buildings have come and gone since that time (to say nothing of any house re-numberings that may have taken place) has anybody any idea of where that is and what is there now? He's tried google and I've tried the excellent James Gray photo collection, but we've drawn blanks,

Ta.

1954. Pretty much unaltered.

ditchling_road_1954.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here