Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peterborough chairman in 'player rant' on Twitter

tiotom92

Jan 11, 2014
Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony has criticised his players on social media following Saturday's 2-0 defeat by Colchester.

The Irishman gave 11 reasons why his players had annoyed him during a loss which left Posh 11th in League One.

MacAnthony's list of grievances was:
"...that it's always the manager who is held responsible when a team of players fold like a stack of cards when the going gets tough!"
"... that our team can play with that kind of tempo/intensity for first 25 minutes, then follow that up with the 65 minutes we all witnessed!"
"... that a player of Joe Newell's ability can miss an open goal from five yards out early on. He should be scoring 10/15 a season."
"...that a striker I paid half a million for, minutes before Colchester score, scuffs great chance eight yards out with nobody near him."
"... that Bossie [midfielder Michael Bostwick] allows their top scorer to get in front of him to tap in their first goal, shouldn't happen!"
"... that our centre back runs 50 yards to edge of opposition's box, doesn't pass or shoot but loses ball & they go other end and score."
"... that both our full-backs who had plenty of the ball couldn't deliver any crosses of any merit or quality or with urgency."
"...that we had a ref who cost us Crewe game because of incorrect decision was given us again, then sent manager off and many yellows today!"
"... that as going has got tough many thousands of fans have bit like our players, have folded and taken their ball and gone home!"
"...Tomorrow I'll still pay the bills & next Saturday will pay thousands to watch my team play & hopefully win."
"... that our goalkeeper [Ben Alnwick] had three shots to save all game but we conceded two goals!"

Tinpot or a breath of fresh air hearing a chairman talk this way? NSC decides :thumbsup:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's a big old facepalm from me.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeh he started each tweet with 'p'''d off that'....

For me it's incredibly tin pot & not something chairman or indeed managers should do. They shouldn't be on social media at all. Just gives trolls the chance to target them. To my knowledge it's only palace & posh who have their chairman on Twitter (I expect there are others). Incredibly unprofessional - suprised at posh...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He is a complete media/attention whore. He is always on Sky Sports as a rent-a-mouth to comment on anything. Glad our chairman is as reserved as he is.

Why shouldn't players he sell become millionaires? They have the talent not him

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

For me it's incredibly tin pot & not something chairman or indeed managers should do. They shouldn't be on social media at all. Just gives trolls the chance to target them. To my knowledge it's only palace & posh who have their chairman on Twitter (I expect there are others). Incredibly unprofessional - suprised at posh...

Fernandez uses it all the time.

I thought it was a bit odd he took time to comment on a qpr game with everything going on.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

David Gold is on twitter. He wasn't happy with West Hams drawer yesterday.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He'd just shelled out for the squad to have 5 days in Spain last week as well. Coming back and stinking the place out against junk like Colchester probably macked him off a tad.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Its fine for him to have an opinion, but there is a time and a place. Being slated like that on Twitter could have 2 effects.

1. The player will buck their ideas up and turn things around.
2. The player will think "f**k this, Im leaving" and hand a transfer request in.

Its a risky business, personally, Im happier with our more reserved chairman.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It takes all sorts, like to see a rant with some passion, will be interesting to see how the results pan out next week......

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Tony Fernandes the QPR chairman is also on Twitter and another who regularly airs his views on the teams performance...

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
At the end of the day he pays the wages of those players...if those players (employees) are not performing they need to be told.
However the chairman should not be shouting his mouth on social media. This opinions/views should be aired in the dressing rooms away from the media.
What a clown of a chairman!

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Do we still owe anything for CMS?

BBC 21:03
There will be no incomings at League One Peterborough, and chairman Darragh MacAnthony is not happy. MacAnthony claims a Championship club has failed to make an agreed large payment preventing Posh from strengthening their squad.
"Truthfully it is a disgrace and their chairman is the same," MacAnthony says on Twitter. "It has put us last minute in a terrible predicament which I shall now fix and once the loan window opens, we shall bring in a couple of players to help the squad.
"It's also a shambles the Football League allow this nonsense to carry on and not for the first time. I'm also sure we are not only club who it has happened to but the knock on effect is outrageous and doesn't help a club like Peterborough that's for sure!"

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Do we still owe anything for CMS?

BBC 21:03
There will be no incomings at League One Peterborough, and chairman Darragh MacAnthony is not happy. MacAnthony claims a Championship club has failed to make an agreed large payment preventing Posh from strengthening their squad.
"Truthfully it is a disgrace and their chairman is the same," MacAnthony says on Twitter. "It has put us last minute in a terrible predicament which I shall now fix and once the loan window opens, we shall bring in a couple of players to help the squad.
"It's also a shambles the Football League allow this nonsense to carry on and not for the first time. I'm also sure we are not only club who it has happened to but the knock on effect is outrageous and doesn't help a club like Peterborough that's for sure!"

Forest, surely.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here