Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funniest infield incident when watching Albion

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I've been watching the Albion on and off for nearly 40 years and have been trying to remember the funniest on-field incidents

For me the best was a recent one. Last away game at Leeds the season before last. El Hadji Diouf was acting up all game. Our away fans started to wind him up singing "your just a s••t Balotelli. He started to get really wound up, gesticulating to our fans and playing more aggressively. Buckley scored early and Rodolf Austin was sent off for Leeds. then Leeds started to threaten. Early in the second half Calderon pulled El Hadji Diouf down in the box and was sent off. Diouf scored the penalty. it looked as though Diouf had his revenge on the fans! Then Diouf made a rude gesture to the away fans and was himself sent off. Wonderful scenes as the whole away support waved and sang "Cheerio" as Diouf trudged off and the Leeds supporters got more and more angry. It was finally capped by a Leo winner to get us into the playoffs. When we went back for the first away game last season El Hadji Diouf was still suspended!

A great memory but there must be some funnier incidents that I've missed....

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Wilkins and Codner fighting like girls in a playground over who takes a free kick.

Although there was an occasion last season where we played so badly it became funny between my Dad and I. It got to the point where we couldn't stop laughing.

Also, any time Lua Lua attempts to head the ball. Their needs to be a compilation of this made.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Wilkins and Codner fighting like girls in a playground over who takes a free kick.

Although there was an occasion last season where we played so badly it became funny between my Dad and I. It got to the point where we couldn't stop laughing.

Also, any time Lua Lua attempts to head the ball. Their needs to be a compilation of this made.

This for me as well I think. Remember thinking what the f!%* is going on and laughing away, was like a parallel universe, neither Wilkins or Codner were known for their aggression or bite in midfield. If memory serves correctly I think even Gulls Eye made a cover of the incident.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Anyone remember when we played Bristol Rovers (I think a last game of season) and big Devon White comes out to warm up and trips over the ropes that are holding up an advertising hoarding?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Mervyn Day swinging on the crossbar in front of the north stand and getting his boots caught in the net.

The old boy "ball boy" heading a Man City clearance into the staff car park

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
After a policeman ducked to avoid being hit by the ball, his helmet came off. Mark Lawrenson ran over to him, put the helmet on his own head and ran on back on to the pitch wearing it! It was near the south east corner at the Goldstone. May have been against West Ham 1981?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not an Albion one but funny none the less.

Remember going to Wembley on a Junior Seagulls jaunt to watch England play Cameroon in Feb 91 or so. It was a bitterly cold night with snow on the ground and about minus 5, this was also I believe in the days before undersoil heating.

IT was a dull game and on about the 60th minute a couple of subs were warming up to come on doing all their keen running and knee thrusting etc. Gary Pallister was replacing Mark Wright and after the customary handshake trotted onto the frosty surface, went two paces, slipped and broke his ankle.

I know it's a little bit schadenfreude but it was bloody hilarious at the time. Shortest sub appearance?

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I suppose that with time to get over it the Dunk own goal at Liverpool was pretty funny
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxilhH-hQzw

It wasn't so funny at the time being down at the koo end with the Liverpool supporters and having been identified as a Brighton fan! Not so funny for Dunk either because it took a long time for him to get back his confidence.

Classic own goal though...and we scored 4 of the 6 goals....

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Back during the withdean years we were playing leeds ( I think ) and where the was no atmosphere you could here this bloke giving stick to one of there players. It got so bad that when he took a corner he fluffed it as all he and we could here was his name getting singled out by this one bloke.
in the end there manager took him off as he must of felt sorry for him.

it was funnier than it sounds trust me. Will remember forever.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
I suppose that with time to get over it the Dunk own goal at Liverpool was pretty funny
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxilhH-hQzw

It wasn't so funny at the time being down at the koo end with the Liverpool supporters and having been identified as a Brighton fan! Not so funny for Dunk either because it took a long time for him to get back his confidence.

Classic own goal though...and we scored 4 of the 6 goals....

Think that goal stoped us loosing him to arsenal. He also got a clumsy sending of palace away

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Keith Cuss ballboy header as already mentioned.

Nigel Erskine swallow dive in front of the North Stand, Goldstone, losing his trousers.

Butch Wilkins nearly getting his foot twisted off by an invading fan, 4-4 v Orient.

Jimmy Case getting sent off at Leicester because his hearing aid battery had run down.

PG

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Keith Cuss ballboy header as already mentioned

Keith was in charge of bellboys as I recall, and Belotti in his malicious days, used the incident as an excuse to sack him

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Not necessarily that much out of the ordinary but Chris Kirkland's look of utter despair after we equalised against Sheffield Wednesday in the 89th minute last season having time wasted non-stop since the first half was a joy to behold :lol:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Nothing beats George Parris turning to the northanstand and putting his finger to his lips before mugging the Wrexham keeper

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nothing beats George Parrish turning to the northanstand and putting his finger to his lips before mugging the Wrexham keeper

Either my memory is playing tricks on me, but I swear he did that at the south end of the ground?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here