Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky+ HD Box Repairers?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Hi,

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Brighton or Hove that repairs Sky+ HD boxes? Ours has become very slow and keeps freezing :( I'm just investigating other options before having to pay Sky over £200 for a replacement box!

Thanks,

Z

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Buy one off ebay. When does your contract run out?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Hi,

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Brighton or Hove that repairs Sky+ HD boxes? Ours has become very slow and keeps freezing :( I'm just investigating other options before having to pay Sky over £200 for a replacement box!

Thanks,

Z

Have you tried a planner rebuild because that often fixes the problem. Worth a try before you shell out. Also I believe that if you get Sky to visit for a repair they will give you a new box if they can't fix it and I think they charge £65 for the visit and fix.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Have you tried a planner rebuild because that often fixes the problem. Worth a try before you shell out. Also I believe that if you get Sky to visit for a repair they will give you a new box if they can't fix it and I think they charge £65 for the visit and fix.

Sky will only supply a refurbed box which has a 3 months guarantee. You can avoid the £65 callout fee by threatening to cancel. If the box is knackered there is no attempt to repair it they simply replace it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you tried a planner rebuild because that often fixes the problem.
Would that also apply to a Sky Box that refuses to acknowledge anything other than an hour or so in the future.
Or is there something else I could do.
It's buggering up my series links, something chronic.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I threatened cancellation when they said a new box would cost £250 ... they then replaced it with a new one and sent a engineer to install it for nothing

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks

This is good advice. Try a planner rebuild, after the latest software upgrade there are a lot of people with problems, google sky box not recording etc and you will find a lot of info. If the rebuild doesn't work try a full reset, this will delete all recordings, but I doubt that will be of concern, if you're considering changing the box anyway.

You can find out how to do these if you google sky planner rebuild/reset.

If none of that works ring sky and say you can't afford to buy a new box and that you'll have to cancel. We got a new 2TB HD + box for around £49, worth a go?

Good luck, make sure you push it.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Would that also apply to a Sky Box that refuses to acknowledge anything other than an hour or so in the future.
Or is there something else I could do.
It's buggering up my series links, something chronic.

Yes again its definately worth a try. My current box has been fine for a year or more but my previous one had to have a planner rebuild almost weekly. If your not sure how to do it either head over to Digital Spy and search for 'Sky rebuild' or try the Sky help forum which also shows what to do. You have to access a hidden menu but its quite straight forward after that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes again its definately worth a try. My current box has been fine for a year or more but my previous one had to have a planner rebuild almost weekly. If your not sure how to do it either head over to Digital Spy and search for 'Sky rebuild' or try the Sky help forum which also shows what to do. You have to access a hidden menu but its quite straight forward after that.
Thanks.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Under no circumstances accept paying a £65 engineer callout charge. Just threaten to cancel and you'll either be put on hold while they "check with their supervisor", or you'll be transferred to the retentions team - either way, with the threat of cancellation or the mention of Virgin, they'll fold faster than Superman on laundry day.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Under no circumstances accept paying a £65 engineer callout charge. Just threaten to cancel and you'll either be put on hold while they "check with their supervisor", or you'll be transferred to the retentions team - either way, with the threat of cancellation or the mention of Virgin, they'll fold faster than Superman on laundry day.

Not for me they didn't. Both boxes knackered, they told me it would be £600 for replacements. I told THEM I was off to Virgin, and they didn't try to stop me.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I had a problem with Sky concerning Catch up,Tv I was advised that i would have to replace my Sky+ box with an HD,at a cost of £10.95 per month,instead i switched to Virgin,then i was offered a number of add ons at no extra cost for six months which i declined,more than happy with my new supplier.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not for me they didn't. Both boxes knackered, they told me it would be £600 for replacements. I told THEM I was off to Virgin, and they didn't try to stop me.

Can only go by my own experiences. I've got Movies and Sports so pay through the NOSE for their services, ie north of £70 a month. I absolutely refuse to pay for a callout, and I'm not bluffing. I've had 2 repairs and a replacement box over the last...oh, I dunno, 10 years. Free.

The day they say they're not fixing it is the day I cancel.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

The same happened to me except I don't have the Virgin option available so just cancelled - strangely enough less than three weeks later I received a letter with an offer of 6 months subscription at half price, free installation and a new HD box!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The same happened to me except I don't have the Virgin option available so just cancelled - strangely enough less than three weeks later I received a letter with an offer of 6 months subscription at half price, free installation and a new HD box!

That's exactly what I said to the Sky bloke. I could cancel, then take out another contract, but it would take a bit of time, I seem to remember. The Virgin guys that came to fit the new system said that people end up switching between one and the other every 18 months or so, because new customers get a much better deal than the offers given to existing customers. I guess the sales/promotions teams are on 'new business' bonuses...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sky will only supply a refurbed box which has a 3 months guarantee. You can avoid the £65 callout fee by threatening to cancel. If the box is knackered there is no attempt to repair it they simply replace it.

I recently had an HD box that wasn't working properly. Had tried rebooting, software update, planner resets etc. In the end I called Sky - they said a standard call out was £65, but this included a new box if that is what was needed, then said they would reduce this to £30 as I have been with them a long time (the box was about 4 years old). Guys came within 2 days (on a Sunday), asked what was wrong and simply replaced the box with a brand new one (a better model too with integrated wifi) plus a new remote.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

For a step further, also worth doing a software update (different combination of buttons but you'll find it on the web easily enough). You do lose all stored progs though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here