Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Since when were footballers role models?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Thats all I keep hearing lately, in the light of the publicity over Ched Evans. People in the media banging on about him being a role model to youngsters etc. The trouble I have with this argument is that I don't hear it being addressed at other sportsmen/women. Cricket, Rugby, Boxing, Athletics, Swimming, Tennis, Golf, Darts, Snooker. Are all these participants role models as well? Do we then assume that all public figures are such...Politicians, Judiciary, Clergy, Actors. Popstars?
Of all sports, football is probably just about the worst to pick for playing a part in shaping youngsters lives, closely followed by boxing. Both sports have been tainted beyond redemption. Corruption and cheating are the norm. There are no accepted boundaries for behaviour. The ugly elements of society, attracted as always by big money, have long since got their claws into football and boxing and their influence is all pervasive.
If you want to talk about role models in sport, then you have to look to golf and snooker. At least these have managed to maintain their sporting ethos. Fair play is the bye-word and cheating is simply not allowed. A footballer spends 90 minutes trying to cheat.
Role models are parents, grandparents, close relatives and teachers. They shape a youngster's development, teaching them standards and boundaries of behaviour. Passing on knowledge and experience and helping them to prepare for the rigours of life ahead. Trying to set an example at all times.
To label Ched Evans or any other footballer as a role model is laughable.

Quality rant. Perhaps question should be "when did footballers start being role models"?

Has

football always been considered as the "peoples game" more than cricket and rugby perhaps?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Thats all I keep hearing lately, in the light of the publicity over Ched Evans. People in the media banging on about him being a role model to youngsters etc. The trouble I have with this argument is that I don't hear it being addressed at other sportsmen/women. Cricket, Rugby, Boxing, Athletics, Swimming, Tennis, Golf, Darts, Snooker. Are all these participants role models as well? Do we then assume that all public figures are such...Politicians, Judiciary, Clergy, Actors. Popstars?
Of all sports, football is probably just about the worst to pick for playing a part in shaping youngsters lives, closely followed by boxing. Both sports have been tainted beyond redemption. Corruption and cheating are the norm. There are no accepted boundaries for behaviour. The ugly elements of society, attracted as always by big money, have long since got their claws into football and boxing and their influence is all pervasive.
If you want to talk about role models in sport, then you have to look to golf and snooker. At least these have managed to maintain their sporting ethos. Fair play is the bye-word and cheating is simply not allowed. A footballer spends 90 minutes trying to cheat.
Role models are parents, grandparents, close relatives and teachers. They shape a youngster's development, teaching them standards and boundaries of behaviour. Passing on knowledge and experience and helping them to prepare for the rigours of life ahead. Trying to set an example at all times.

You're arguing that footballers shouldn't be role models, and most would agree - but they are.

Kids have photos of footballers on their walls. They want to be them. Simple as that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You're arguing that footballers shouldn't be role models, and most would agree - but they are.

Kids have photos of footballers on their walls. They want to be them. Simple as that.

I'm arguing that footballers are totally inappropriate role models.
Kids dream about being footballers. It is hero worship, idolatry. Just the same as having pictures of film stars and pop stars on your walls. It is a fantasy world. Family and schools teach kids the rules of life. How you are expected to behave and the boundaries you don't cross.
How can a sportsman, whose every inclination is to take advantage and cheat at every opportunity, be a role model to young kids?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I think you have a different defintion of role model to Wozza...

Wozza's definition: someone that children do look up to
Your definition: someone that children should look up to

The reality is that children do look up to these people, but perhaps for some (not all!) footballers, they shouldn't.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Emulating what they do on the pitch sure.
Going out and rapeing people, well hardly likely is it ffs!!!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I can certainly agree with much of what you write, but with respect, do you think that you might be just overstating your case? You are bang on, in that the examples of parents are what has the most influence on children -sadly, in some cases, but though footballers might not want to be such, they do tend to at least influence children; you only have to see the antics of eg goal celebrations at children's matches to see this. I think it is an exaggeration to claim that footballers spend 90 minutes trying to cheat -no one disputes that the diving, for example, has got worse, but . . the whole match? You are right in that the idea of role models tends to be used far more with football, but this may simply be that those who fall by the wayside tend to be more famous. Rebecca Adlington, if my memory serves me right, won acclaim in the swimming world for her stand against "dodgy" swimwear allegedly enhancing performance, but this did not receive national attention to the same extent; she would doubtless be a role model for hard work. Anyone in the public eye is to an extent a role model, if others try to emulate them. This may not necessarily be justified, as we are all prone to errors of judgement at times, but is the reality of life. Yes, money has undoubtedly tainted many sports such as football as you suggest, but taking the examples of golf and snooker, it might just be that both sports are rather more clear-cut and it is simply more difficult to cheat....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Footballers are only role models when the media decide they are role models.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
In the same way that 'no marks' become celebrities on Big Brother.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Since they decided to be distinctly different people to you and me.

As individuals they don't have to be exceptional role models, but as they represent individuals in an industry where every move and action get scrutinised, cheered and consciously or sub-consciously copied, they have a responsibility to behave well.

This isn't just about people that children look up to.

If they want to misbehave, go get a job in a less scrutinised and less rewarded industry.

Fungus

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 21, 2004
Truro
For me, since Dave Turner and Nobby Lawton presented prizes at Shoreham boys club; since "being" Charlton / Best / Law in a kickabout - since forever.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Since they decided to be distinctly different people to you and me.

As individuals they don't have to be exceptional role models, but as they represent individuals in an industry where every move and action get scrutinised, cheered and consciously or sub-consciously copied, they have a responsibility to behave well.

This isn't just about people that children look up to.

If they want to misbehave, go get a job in a less scrutinised and less rewarded industry.

Very fair comment. They are more than happy to take the money,enjoy the status and be in the public view. With this comes the responsibility. To be fair, most footballers may well accept this -as ever, in life, a minority let the side down.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

How much do those kids know about any of the players in their pictures personal life? (square root of sweet fa i would bet)

Are we saying that kids are very easily swayed and should expect anyone with a picture of John Terry on their wall will sleep with their colleagues wife / girlfriend, etc.

Should anyone who had Ryan Giggs posters on their wall as a kid now go out and sleep with their brother's fiancée too, as that is what their role model had done secretly for 8 years.

Won't family upbringing and school / friends influences play a far bigger role in setting their morales than footballers ever would. They could just have those pictures on the wall because they think that they are a good player on the pitch and never intend to be influenced by anything that they have or might do off the pitch so no, i don't think footballers are role models in how they live their personal life, but may inspire youngsters to get involved in the sport in an attempt to become a similar player themselves.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Wayne Rooney is captain of England and Manchester United.
Is he a good role model?

IMHO without a doubt no.

Then again if he wasn't a footballer he would probably be in prison or living on a park bench.
He doesn't become intelligent,compassionate or caring just because he kicks a ball around and earns a million a month.
He can't help that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes and yes. i do think its over played, i dont see how a footballer, rugby player should guide how we live our lives beyond the world of their sport, but we do hold all those professions in esteem. so we expect high levels of behaviour, probably misguidedly and driven by media obsession to saint/destroy people, but we do make them role models nontheless.

Parents simply cannot decide who will be Role Models for their children, the little b'stards have their own minds and their own minds will in most instances chose sportsmen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here