Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone in the Reserve Forces?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I have been considering the possibility of applying for the RAF reserves to fulfil a childhood dream before it passes me by.

I’m a still fairly young (late 20's) and despite having a decent paying job, it is very rudimentary for me (office based).

Is anyone on here part of the reserve forces that can give their view on it? How has it been? Would you do it again if you had the chance? How is it balancing against work / home life?

Help appreciated.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Enjoy your time in Iraq and Afghanistan. If you like planes, heat and sand a flight to Lanzarote is a better bet.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Those RAF adverts keep telling me I am but I don't remember signing up.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I've just served 10 years in the RAF Regiment. Never been in the reserves nor do I want to be, but if you want any general information the feel free to ask questions.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Got a couple of friends in the TA. Their employer appears to be fairly supportive- one I know did two tours of Iraq (admittedly this is quite recent, not during the Gulf Wars). He seems to get a lot out of it.

Why not? Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't. You've clearly got a bit of an itch that needs scratching, and I can't see what there is to lose by looking into it at least :)

Jan 30, 2008
Part timers who like a bit extra cash on the side , when faced with the real deal come up short , only what an ex regular told me
Regards
DR

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Part timers who like a bit extra cash on the side , when faced with the real deal come up short , only what an ex regular told me
Regards
DR

A friend of a friend. How about those who started part time, and then joined up?

Jan 30, 2008
A friend of a friend. How about those who started part time, and then joined up?
I'm sure that's happened and still happens , my point is if you want a career in the forces you get stuck in , my Uncle see active service in Aden and was in N ireland at the height of the troubles, he started of as an apprentice jockey before joining up
regards
DR

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm sure that's happened and still happens , my point is if you want a career in the forces you get stuck in , my Uncle see active service in Aden and was in N ireland at the height of the troubles, he started of as an apprentice jockey before joining up
regards
DR

A lot of reservists are those who have done their time and stay on in the reserves, until they're too old to sign on any more. Generalisations eh?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
regards
DR

There are a few personal reasons why I would be unable to commit full time at present but if I really enjoy it/am good at it and it is feasible in the future I’m sure becoming a regular would be on the cards.

My reason are certainly not financial – in fact I didn’t even look into that part of the roles at all – and I can’t speak for all reserves but I don't commit to anything without giving it 100%.

Jan 30, 2008
There are a few personal reasons why I would be unable to commit full time at present but if I really enjoy it/am good at it and it is feasible in the future I’m sure becoming a regular would be on the cards.

My reason are certainly not financial – in fact I didn’t even look into that part of the roles at all – and I can’t speak for all reserves but I don't commit to anything without giving it 100%.
Fair play , can't argue with that:thumbsup:
regards
DR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here