Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LuaLua told to carry on being a team player by Albion boss Hughton [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion boss Chris Hughton has urged Kazenga LuaLua to carry on being a team player once he returns to fitness.
The former Newcastle left-winger has signed a new three-and-a-half year contract but will be out for several more weeks with the knee trouble which has sidelined him since the end of November.
Hughton was aware of the raw talent of LuaLua, 24 last month, when they were together at Newcastle.
More than half of the Congolese flyer’s 140 appearances over almost five years as a temporary and permanent Seagull have been as a substitute but he was given more game time and responsibility by ex-manager Sami Hyypia this season prior to the injury and responded with influential displays home and away.
Hughton said: “He is an explosive player with qualities on the ball that are different to a lot of other players and so perhaps in the past I understand it has been a case of where to fit him in best, his best role, off the bench or whether he starts and the type of game it is.
“What you hope with that type of player is that over a period of time they develop, become very much more team players, using their individual skill but amongst really good team play. By all accounts that is what he has become so I am looking forward to working with him and to him returning.”
Tying down LuaLua until June 2018 increases the nucleus of young players Albion have on long-term deals.
England under-20s goalkeeper Christian Walton, centre-half Lewis Dunk and versatile attacker Solly March are also under contract until June 2018, England under-21 international Jake Forster-Caskey until the summer of 2017 and fellow central midfielder Rohan Ince until June 2016.
Chief exceutive Paul Barber said of LuaLua: “I think most people can see how his game has come on in the last year or so, starting more games, finishing more games, really playing a fantastic role in the side.
“He’s a good character around the place. He’s got a smile on his face most of the time and we are delighted to have tied up a deal.
“On and off the pitch I think he has matured. He is a nice lad to have around. He is respectful and communicative. I think the fans have seen on the pitch that he has been very disciplined in his performances.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here