Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players Code Of Conduct

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Having just watched Question Time I tend to agree that like many other professions the FA or PFA should introduce a Players Code Of Conduct on and off the pitch. The Respect Campaign is a great idea but take it one step further and highlight what is expected from a modern day professional footballer and the possible action which might be taken for a breach of conduct.

This would do away with a lot of bad press associated with players and the game.

At the same time it's sad that the press / media only pick up on the bad news stories and rarely mention the good work carried out by the clubs within the community. Maybe work within the community should be part of a players contract or code of conduct.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's not a bad idea, though could the argument not be made that their contract is effectively already a player's 'code of conduct'?

Most, if not all, clubs have the option to sack players (alongside other, less severe punishments) when they act out, with the FA also able to punish infractions if they choose to. I think the issue is more whether clubs/governing bodies do enough to punish players, especially the bigger stars.

I do agree with you regarding positive press coverage being fairly thin on the ground, however, I wouldn't think mandating work within the community would be the answer simply as it will devalue the vast amount of voluntary work many players already do.

To use Calde as an example, he clearly likes to use his profile to help people, which is immensely commendable and I'm sure is appreciated by those that he comes into contact with. If he was effectively forced to do it instead, would it mean as much to those he helps? I would suggest not.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's not a bad idea, though could the argument not be made that their contract is effectively already a player's 'code of conduct'?

Most, if not all, clubs have the option to sack players (alongside other, less severe punishments) when they act out, with the FA also able to punish infractions if they choose to. I think the issue is more whether clubs/governing bodies do enough to punish players, especially the bigger stars.

I do agree with you regarding positive press coverage being fairly thin on the ground, however, I wouldn't think mandating work within the community would be the answer simply as it will devalue the vast amount of voluntary work many players already do.

To use Calde as an example, he clearly likes to use his profile to help people, which is immensely commendable and I'm sure is appreciated by those that he comes into contact with. If he was effectively forced to do it instead, would it mean as much to those he helps? I would suggest not.
I totally agree with your comments, I just feel that if what is expected is put in black and white by clubs, FA and PFA the players will have no excuse and the beautiful game will not be dragged through the media as it currently is.

It works in other professions and industries so no reason it shouldn't work for football.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ultimately an employee has the right to perform his job without suffering physical or verbal abuse. Would be a corker if a player complains that he is being abused by the fans supporting his team ans as such, he could claim that the company ( his football club ) is not protecting him or supporting him. Could he sue ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I totally agree with your comments, I just feel that if what is expected is put in black and white by clubs, FA and PFA the players will have no excuse and the beautiful game will not be dragged through the media as it currently is.

It works in other professions and industries so no reason it shouldn't work for football.

I do like the idea, I'm just not sure what would be included in there that isn't already covered in the rules of game, existing disciplinary processes, individual club policies and the playing contracts themselves?

It could even (devil's advocate) end up adding yet another layer of confusion to the next scandal as the press try to decide against which piece of legislation a player should be charged.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Ultimately an employee has the right to perform his job without suffering physical or verbal abuse. Would be a corker if a player complains that he is being abused by the fans supporting his team ans as such, he could claim that the company ( his football club ) is not protecting him or supporting him. Could he sue ?
Now a supporters code of conduct is a totally different thing! I suppose us the fans have to work within the clubs ground rules which is enforced by the police and stewards, if we break the rules we get evicted and possibly banned, should players be banned for breach in conduct / contract?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

It'd be an interesting to see but would it not similar to someone in a call centre suing their employers due to being abused by a customer? Sadly, at some point, it has to be expected (to a degree).

That said, if it was his team mates causing the problems and the club refused to step in and try to mediate...maybe? Bound to be some form of duty of care issue there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here