Safe standing: Palace owners don't want to "make people sit"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The continued resistance to safe-standing in Britain baffles me. The vast majority of football fans would welcome a return to terraces and as the article demonstrates, a number of figures in the hierarchy of clubs want it as well. I get why Tony and Co wouldn't want to rip out the seats in the North so soon after opening the ground but I hope one day we can return to true standing in the North.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The one thing that I'm jealous of with Palace is that they allow their supporters to be supporters and act like supporters. I get the impression that our club wants us to behave like theater goers.

Everything else about them I find very very distasteful but at least they are allowed to be football fans.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The one thing that I'm jealous of with Palace is that they allow their supporters to be supporters and act like supporters. I get the impression that our club wants us to behave like theater goers.

Everything else about them I find very very distasteful but at least they are allowed to be football fans.

Sums my thoughts up exactly, I cannot see the harm in making the north stand safe standing and there are so many positives. I personally wouldn't use a safe standing area but there are many people who would and I think it would deliver a huge boost in terms of atmosphere.

I can't see it ever happening with Bloom in charge, unfortunately.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
At the goldstone from the 1950s I stood at all games, the surge when we scored threw you against the safety barrier.... late 60s my son used to sit on my shoulders....(now at my age I should be sitting on his shoulders) ...Couldn't stand more than 5 mins now, but if fans want to stand as long as it is safe then they should be allowed in the North Stand.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
What are the Championship's rules over terraces? Don't Brentford have to remove theirs within two seasons or am I making that up?

Oct 11, 2005
London

Totally agree. Everything changed with the opening of the Amex.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
What are the Championship's rules over terraces? Don't Brentford have to remove theirs within two seasons or am I making that up?

I think I read somewhere that clubs are allowed 3 seasons in the Championship with a terrace.Does anyone know if the same rules apply if they get promoted to the Premier League?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The continued resistance to safe-standing in Britain baffles me. The vast majority of football fans would welcome a return to terraces and as the article demonstrates, a number of figures in the hierarchy of clubs want it as well. I get why Tony and Co wouldn't want to rip out the seats in the North so soon after opening the ground but I hope one day we can return to true standing in the North.

Maybe once the Hillsborough enquiry is finished and it's proved that standing wasn't cause of the crushing, then the government will change the regulations. Clubs would be free to provide safe standing.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
“The big question is, we have to provide seats, but do we have to make people sit in them? Because clearly we don’t in Blocks A, B, and C. - See more at: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/v...-want-to-make-people-sit#sthash.HmMksCl6.dpuf

The answer is yes you do, or you are in breach of the ground safety certificate. The stand should either be closed or Palace forced to play home games behind closed doors until they enforce the safety certificate.

Palace only looking for a cheap option to upgrade their ground from the 1950s.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Its nothing to do with not wanting to rip out seats, if they did then they could fit more people in and get more revenue.
Its about crowd control.
All the item we are seated, each of us is identifiable, each seat is sold to an individual and is identifiable and accountable. If the seat owner for that game sells/give away they are still accountable and responsible for who is sitting in that seat.
Take the seat away and allow fans to roam freely on the terraces then you have anonymity for which the security see as a nightmare scenario.
All the time you are identifiable its deemed you will behave more respectfully.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The answer is yes you do, or you are in breach of the ground safety certificate. The stand should either be closed or Palace forced to play home games behind closed doors until they enforce the safety certificate.

If they started doing this, it wouldn't just be Palace that got closed down, would it?

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
So are humans that attend lower league games and games in other countries stronger and more resistant to being squashed on a terrace than those humans that attend Premier/championship games?

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Its nothing to do with not wanting to rip out seats, if they did then they could fit more people in and get more revenue.
Its about crowd control.
All the item we are seated, each of us is identifiable, each seat is sold to an individual and is identifiable and accountable. If the seat owner for that game sells/give away they are still accountable and responsible for who is sitting in that seat.
Take the seat away and allow fans to roam freely on the terraces then you have anonymity for which the security see as a nightmare scenario.
All the time you are identifiable its deemed you will behave more respectfully.

Excellent point - I admit myself that I definitely get more tribal and loud on terracing than seated.
Thing is, I prefer the terrace experience and to me that's what football should be.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Palace only looking for a cheap option to upgrade their ground from the 1950s.

No we're not . The holmesdale is the only stand which doesn't need pulling down , just tweaking if we are allowed safe standing .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here