Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Townsend

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
He's not having his contract renewed by ITV.....and neither is presenter Matt Smith.

I wonder who the replacements will be? Jimmy Bullard? Gazza? Neil Ruddock?

ITV football coverage has been shocking for a long time, so no big surprises that they are having a revamp.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
They've lost the Champions League and the FA Cup though, so whilst my original reaction to this news was "Praise the Lord", I find myself wondering now whether it simply means he'll turn up elsewhere. Do ITV have any live football now, apart from (I think) Europa Cup action on Thursday evenings?

Fingers crossed that he doesn't, of course.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Do ITV actually have much in the way of football coverage left next year?

They've already lost the FA Cup to BBC and the Champions League will be exclusively BT Sport so, by my reckoning, that leaves them with a few
England games per year.

More importantly, will Adrian Charles still be there? He's one of the few pundits/presenters that I genuinely can't stand, miserable bloody potato.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
They've lost the Champions League and the FA Cup though, so whilst my original reaction to this news was "Praise the Lord", I find myself wondering now whether it simply means he'll turn up elsewhere. Do ITV have any live football now, apart from (I think) Europa Cup action on Thursday evenings?

Fingers crossed that he doesn't, of course.
Didn't BT Sport get the Europa League as well as the CL?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Didn't BT Sport get the Europa League as well as the CL?

I've no idea. Good point about the England games though. I forgot about them. Poor old Clive Tyldesley. They'll have to find another inane, irritating, pseudo-Irishman to sit alongside him now. There is no shortage of such characters in the media of course. How long is Lawro's contract at the BBC?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I never got why Townsend was so hated and singled out for such abuse. He was a pretty ordinary pundit, but there's plenty of them about.

People get angry about some odd stuff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's almost been fired too well. He'll be disappointed with that one, Clive. For me, he should be doing better there.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've no idea. Good point about the England games though. I forgot about them. Poor old Clive Tyldesley. They'll have to find another inane, irritating, pseudo-Irishman to sit alongside him now. There is no shortage of such characters in the media of course. How long is Lawro's contract at the BBC?
And I forgot about Clive T. A man who seems, based on his commentary style, to dream of being the voice on a 'they think it's all over' passage of play.

'If they score from this throw-in it will resound throughout history *long pause* out for a goal kick'.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
And I forgot about Clive T. A man who seems, based on his commentary style, to dream of being the voice on a 'they think it's all over' passage of play.

'If they score from this throw-in it will resound throughout history *long pause* out for a goal kick'.

Just like on that Magical Night In Istanbul (c) ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Just like on that Magical Night In Istanbul (c) ?
He does like to remind everyone he was there doesn't he? Did he manage to get a memorable piece of commentary in there though?

As I can't recall anything specific I'm going to take it as a win (because I'm now apparently in competition with him in some way).

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
:lol: So true. Which makes me wonder, does he go to all the games, or do they often use a DJ's mixing desk in his place?

I would imagine it could be done using one of the soundboard apps you can download, with the added bonus of being able to use Stewie from Family Guy as a co-commentator.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
For me. He's going to be disappointed with that decision.It's a straightforward but very well job, I've got to say. So the lad will be gutted.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Aspinall and Bob Booker would make a great TV pundit line-up.

Whoever has the viewing rights for the African Nations Cup and the Asian Cup should employ Wazza Aspinall..............it would be an international sensation!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here