Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Those clever Israelis. Mobile phone full charge in under 3 mins.

Jules

Jan 17, 2013
Those clever Israelis are at it again..

BBC has posted an article about Israeli start up ' Stotedot'

It has found a way of charging up a phone battery from flat to fully charged in under 3 mins.

All the major phone makers have began talks with the start up to either license or to buy exclusive rights to the tech.

Technology has yet to be peer reviewed and can not be retrospectively fitted to old phones as the technology would fry the battery but new phones could have the technology fitted. Relatively slim to use as well.

Yes I know we have heard similar claims before but the BBC believes this one is a serious goer because the main people behind this technology also held very senior posts at SanDisk which helped make SanDisk a leader in flash memory tech.

Apparently Mr Abramovich has personally backed this start up to the tune of several million dollars.

I am constantly amazed that such a tiny country like Israel which is about the same size as Wales, keeps producing companies that are able to revolutionize the way we do things in technology that has such a big impact on the world.

Amazing really particularly as they have the minor issue of terrorism to have to deal with on a constant basis as well.

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
and some people want to boycott Israel!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Sidestepping the Israel element of the story, it really is crazy that the group of scientists might have cracked something that's been bugging the phone industry (and definitely phone owners) for ages. Hopefully it works out being as effective as suggested within the article.

Also, as always, the comments section of the story on the BBC makes for good reading. It swings wildly from pompous to hate-filled before pulling firmly into lunatic station.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The technology sound great. As it would have been regadless of where the company was based. That part of the OP seems rather superfluous.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So, I clicked the 'highlighted' phone battery (thinking it was a link to said article and came across a load of sex toys!) :blush:

Edit: Had to seperate phone battery as I was linking to them as well!!!

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
and some people want to boycott Israel!

Yes, and for very valid reasons. Just because they have produced something incredible, it doesn't not mean many will change their minds about buying Israeli products. Not the committed ones anyway.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Isn't the breakthrough going to be making a battery capable to running a phone for more than half a day (like the good old days when a Nokia would run for 3 weeks on one charge) so avoiding the necessity to re-charge quickly

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
So, I clicked the 'highlighted' phone battery (thinking it was a link to said article and came across a load of sex toys!) :blush:

Edit: Had to seperate phone battery as I was linking to them as well!!!

Haha me too! I was looking at the product page really confused, thinking the phone slots into that device and that's what charges it so quickly. But nope, it's just a device that holds your phone around your thigh so you can have some "hands free fun".

I should have spotted that the product was called a "Fleshlight Phone Strap" and that the recommended products, next to it, were lube.

Last edited:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Isn't the breakthrough going to be making a battery capable to running a phone for more than half a day (like the good old days when a Nokia would run for 3 weeks on one charge) so avoiding the necessity to re-charge quickly

I think this should be the bigger priority. Surely the battery being charged has to be a special type of battery?

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Yes, and for very valid reasons. Just because they have produced something incredible, it doesn't not mean many will change their minds about buying Israeli products. Not the committed ones anyway.

Prey elaborate?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There are new battery technologies on the way that extend the life, but as always they are not cheap and in some cases use rare / expensive materials.

BTW - there are other people who have made the same breakthrough http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/brea...per-cent-in-2-minutes-last-20-years-1.2052729

Oh. So those clever folk in Singapore have done it again?

I am constantly amazed that such a tiny country like Singapore which is only half the population of Israel, keeps producing companies that are able to revolutionize the way we do things in technology that has such a big impact on the world.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Exactly what I was going to post. The ideal situation would be having a battery that can keep a smartphone going for days so you wouldn't need to have to worry about charging in a hurry.

A 3 minute charge would be great though as I'm sure you'd get 'charging stations' in major public areas, where you could pay a small amount to plug your phone in, stand there for 3 minutes and be done.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am constantly amazed that such a tiny country like Israel which is about the same size as Wales, keeps producing companies that are able to revolutionize the way we do things in technology that has such a big impact on the world.

Amazing really particularly as they have the minor issue of terrorism to have to deal with on a constant basis as well.

Or you could say it's because they have to deal with terrorism. They spend huge amounts on defence and many of the projects that emanate from Israel result from the R&D in the defence and security sector

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Or you could say it's because they have to deal with terrorism. They spend huge amounts on defence and many of the projects that emanate from Israel result from the R&D in the defence and security sector

With a large helping hand from the US.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here