Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think this question needs to be asked.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Glenn Murray , alex revell , tommy elphick , chris wood , dean hammond , Ashley barnes and the list goes on.

all these players played for us, then left and went on to do better than when they were here. Even players that came to us like cms, augustein, baldock dobbie the list goes on....... were highly rated players that for some reason came here then struggled.

I know cms and baldock might just not be championship level and in baldocks case hasn't had a good enough run to put his down as failed with us yet..
but what is the problem here ? Is it our coaches, as it does seem that murray aside ,most brighton fans were ok with the club selling most of these players only to want them back again when the start playing really well.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think some of these issues come down to wages and contract lengths, not coaches and ability.

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Not sure you can really get away with having Revell in that list.
Chris Wood was a loanee and ended up at Leicester where they probably offered him more money (whish is assuming we even tried to sign him permanently at all).
When we sold Tommy Elphick we had plenty of quality centre backs, Greer, Upson, Dunk, El-Abd. No use keeping a player with ambitions to play regularly when he wasn't for us.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Don't most clubs of our size have a similar list of good players that have moved on (for whatever reason) and done well elsewhere...?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Glenn Murray , alex revell , tommy elphick , chris wood , dean hammond , Ashley barnes and the list goes on.

all these players played for us, then left and went on to do better than when they were here. Even players that came to us like cms, augustein, baldock dobbie the list goes on....... were highly rated players that for some reason came here then struggled.

I know cms and baldock might just not be championship level and in baldocks case hasn't had a good enough run to put his down as failed with us yet..
but what is the problem here ? Is it our coaches, as it does seem that murray aside ,most brighton fans were ok with the club selling most of these players only to want them back again when the start playing really well.

Yes - and considering the wealth of players who only ever play for one club, such as Gerard and errr, that's it...

Unfortunately this is football - and any job come to think of it. It is more about setting the structure up right to be sustainable, getting the best out of the team that you have at any one time. Whilst we should learn from every player that has got away from us, we shouldn't dwell on players that have left us. Let's enjoy what they did when they were here and wish (some of) them the best for the future.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Its part and parcely of being a bigger club, I would rather see a list of players who has come to the club and done well, rather than lists of old where players careers have died out after leaving us.

The real question is, why did we not go up when we had all these great players, look at Bournemouth they have a great squad and are making the most of it, if they dont go up expect them to lose a lot of their players much like we did.

We failed when we had our best chance and have to rebuild and go again.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Were they that bad when they were here, if they where why would another club want them - Remind me how well Revell has done in the Premier League and Championship - Ashley Barnes was excellent when with us, scored a great goal and then provided the cross of the season against a top for premier league side when with us - Tommy Elphick is having his first season higher in the league than us, Dean Hammond hardly set the world on fire when he left.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Can you also list all the players that left us and turned to crap? Just to compare..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here