Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Ali: The man taking on Sepp Blatter for Fifa Presidency

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Fifa vice-president Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan, has announced he will challenge Sepp Blatter for the presidency of world football's governing body.

The Jordanian Prince, 39, will stand as a candidate at Fifa's presidential election on 29 May, where Blatter, 78, will seek a fifth term of office.

Prince Ali, who has been in charge of Jordanian football since 1999, has said: "It is time to shift the focus away from administrative controversy and back to sport. The headlines should be about football, not about Fifa."

But then

"Jerome Champagne will still contest Fifa's presidency despite Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein announcing he will also run to depose Sepp Blatter.

Champagne, 56, announced his candidacy in January 2014 but the involvement of current vice-president Prince Ali, 39, will mean a three-way split in votes.

Asked if he will step down, he said: "Of course not, I'm the only candidate to present a detailed programme."

The former French diplomat called on Prince Ali to explain his plans."

"Last year he lost the election in Asia, so if you don't have a base in your own region and own continent how can you be expected to be elected at the world level?"

Prince Ali is currently one of seven vice presidents who work under Blatter.

He is also vice-president of of the Asian Football Confederation and his decision to challenge a potential fifth term in office for Blatter was welcomed by key figures in the game on Tuesday.

Candidates must announce their intention to run for the 29 May election by 29 January.

Upon outlining his desire to succeed Blatter, 78, almost a year ago, Champagne outlined detailed plans. They included proposed quotas on foreign players and changes to football's rule book.
Asked if he was fearful multiple candidates would split the vote to oust Blatter, Champagne told BBC Radio 5 live: "I've been a candidate for a year now, I've a concrete platform, I've exposed everything, it's a question for him [Prince Ali].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here