Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackpool Fc attempt to sue fan for £150,000 in relation to comments made ....

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Barber wouldn't do the same, he's a decent chap. I've always liked Barber.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Barber wouldn't do the same, he's a decent chap. I've always liked Barber.

Was just about to say that the example seems to be similar to what has been threatened here based on that headline. No defined amount may have been expressed here but litigation was threatened preemptively to a fans forum/board. Very sad to see any similarity between what's happening at Blackpool and at our club given the mess that they are in and the state of their owners

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was just about to say that the example seems to be similar to what has been threatened here based on that headline. No defined amount may have been expressed here but litigation was threatened preemptively to a fans forum/board. Very sad to see any similarity between what's happening at Blackpool and at our club given the mess that they are in and the state of their owners

Absolutely correct, but still a stark reminder to all on here (and elsewhere) that what you write on line isn't exempt from scrutiny or litigation. That's all [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] was trying to make clear, when he was shouted down by those seeking to imagine conspiracies.

http://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/view.php?id=2046672

There was no need for this to go to court, was there?

I reckon most Football fans on a message board, probably dont even realise when they are breaking the law.

That is why at worse, a final written WARNING should have been given, imo.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Details here: http://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/view.php?id=2045406

Whilst not having in-depth knowledge of the specific situation going on at Blackpool, something like this has been coming for a while now, which is why I (and the moderating team) try to ensure NSCers stay on the right side of possible libel litigation. That we then get accused of censorship is somewhat frustrating.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Aren't the Oyston's playing a dangerous game here? If this does go to court they will have to tell the truth about some things they probably don't want in the public domain, like where has the money from the Premier League has gone.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Didn't Blackpool only have eight players (or something) just a week before the season started?

Surely the money spent on legal action would be better invested on the pitch!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting tweet about blackpool

Fansonline.net

Blackpool

Upto now most fans threatened with legal action regarding comments made on this forum and other forms of social media have only received letters of pre action . As you may have recently read on other posts one of our fellow posters has now received documents from the Oystons solicitors which require him to fill in earnings and assets to be presented to the courts as well as a request to submit his defence . They have also paid the court fees for £610 to take the poster concerned to the High Court in Manchester with a claim lodged for upto £50,000 each for John Owen Oyston , Karl Samuel Oyston and Blackpool Football Club Limited .One of the ludicrous claims the solicitors have made is that the comments made by this fan have , amongst other claims for damages , hit this years season ticket sales .
Our request for help is for anyone reading this message board who didn't renew this season , emails on the following address a quick resume as to why they didnt renew . Possible reasons may include a lack of investment over the past few seasons , being treated with contempt by the present owners , having only 8 players upto a week before the season started , pre season training tour cancelled etc etc etc .
This in effect will show any judge preciding that to make a claim for these damages is ridiculous to say the least .
Many thanks for your time and if any other fans have received a summons that we dont know about that these emails may also help please let us know on the below email address .
justice4fans@outlook.com

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Amazing how many months of my life (and every other journalism student in the 80s and 90s) was spent getting to grips with defamation law.

Then a few decades later, the whole population are effectively journalists, publishing opinion, half-truths and hearsay to the entire world without a second thought.

It's always looked like a legal minefield to me but I'm still surprised at how rarely anything actually gets to court, at least in relation to the amount of defamatory stuff that goes online all the time.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Details here: http://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/view.php?id=2045406

Whilst not having in-depth knowledge of the specific situation going on at Blackpool, something like this has been coming for a while now, which is why I (and the moderating team) try to ensure NSCers stay on the right side of possible libel litigation. That we then get accused of censorship is somewhat frustrating.

I can totally understand that and the frustration.

It is depressing that football clubs are taking such action though and in a very selective way and this causes confusion with fans as expressed on the Blackpool message board. Looking through this board there are numerous comments about players ability and attitude, some of which could be argued to be libelous. However, these are still seen to be the norm and part of the football fans basic rights to critique their club; this is why people get so confused I feel. It currently seems OK to criticise players, managers, coaches, heads of recruitment but when it comes to a CEO or chairman then it gets all American.

Perhaps we are all in for a shock when a club decides to extend their protection of their suits to the football based staff too.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I can totally understand that and the frustration.

It is depressing that football clubs are taking such action though and in a very selective way and this causes confusion with fans as expressed on the Blackpool message board. Looking through this board there are numerous comments about players ability and attitude, some of which could be argued to be libelous. However, these are still seen to be the norm and part of the football fans basic rights to critique their club; this is why people get so confused I feel. It currently seems OK to criticise players, managers, coaches, heads of recruitment but when it comes to a CEO or chairman then it gets all American.

Perhaps we are all in for a shock when a club decides to extend their protection of their suits to the football based staff too.

There could be a certain amount of sabre-rattling here. Maybe the club just wants to frighten off people who are posting the extreme stuff.

We're allowed to say that Agustein is lazy, or that CMS has a rubbish first touch, if those are honestly held opinions. But if you start accusing players of taking bungs, or not turning up for training when they actually did, that's the kind of stuff that would be actionable.

Maybe it would be useful for messageboards like NSC to have a small section that gives an at-a-glance guide to libel. I know there's already general advice on what is and isn't acceptable, so perhaps that covers all we need to know.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd be interested in seeing exactly what was posted ( assuming I haven't missed it in those links ? ) to see if the post just mentioned the club as an entity or individuals. If the former then the club are very unlikely to be able to prove distress was caused to the club as an entity can't have feelings. A claim for financial losses is probably more viable but how they can prove a post on a forum went and influenced fans not to buy season tickets I would imagine is a whole different challenge. Personally I think it's Blackpool FC trying to rattle supporters to fall in line and the case will either be withdrawn or lost by the club.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Does money gained through legal action count towards FFP?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
****ing ridiculous.
Idiotic club run by morons.
Just more evidence that certain individuals have no business being anywhere near a football club.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Other thread wasn't good enough for you then? :)

You have made me feel better about making the same mistake I made the other day when somebody quoted the Carpenenters at me... 'It's Yesterday Once More.' At least you started the thread on the same day.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That is a totally ridiculous case. They have no chance of winning. Even if they could prove what was said is untrue, what damage has it caused? Quantifying what some fans posted on forum against the general lack of performance on the pitch, it doesn't take a genius to work out why season tickets may have fallen!

Summary posted on their forum (http://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/view.php?id=2045406)

"Up to now most fans threatened with legal action regarding comments made on this forum and other forms of social media have only received letters of pre action . As you may have recently read on other posts one of our fellow posters has now received documents from the Oystons solicitors which require him to fill in earnings and assets to be presented to the courts as well as a request to submit his defence . They have also paid the court fees for £610 to take the poster concerned to the High Court in Manchester with a claim lodged for upto £50,000 each for John Owen Oyston , Karl Samuel Oyston and Blackpool Football Club Limited .One of the ludicrous claims the solicitors have made is that the comments made by this fan have , amongst other claims for damages , hit this years season ticket sales .
Our request for help is for anyone reading this message board who didn't renew this season , emails on the following address a quick resume as to why they didnt renew . Possible reasons may include a lack of investment over the past few seasons , being treated with contempt by the present owners , having only 8 players upto a week before the season started , pre season training tour cancelled etc etc etc .
This in effect will show any judge preciding that to make a claim for these damages is ridiculous to say the least .
Many thanks for your time and if any other fans have received a summons that we dont know about that these emails may also help please let us know on the below email address ."
justice4fans@outlook.com

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It currently seems OK to criticise players, managers, coaches, heads of recruitment but when it comes to a CEO or chairman then it gets all American.

Feel free to criticise TB and PB, you are perfectly entitled to say they are useless, that counts as opinion. If you however said that Tony Bloom has made his fortune from supplying arms to ISIS, and that Paul Barber eats puppies for breakfast before dancing on the graves of small children, then that post would probably be moved, and could result in a minor infraction (3 points) or more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here