Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selfie stick

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Don't get the hate for them. Wouldn't personally use one but if it makes people happy and occasionally gets some pretty good photos then what's the big deal?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Depressingly indicative of how image obsessed and self absorbed we have become. The whole selfie phenomenon is this really unhealthy approval seeking (see facebook likes, twitter followers etc...)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Will Self was a big supporter and linking it to a long journey since the industrial revolution. Evan in the end asked him if he was over intellectualising it!

Anyway, those using them seemed to be having fun

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont understand any reason to dislike them. need to seperate the practical act of taking a photo of oneself on holiday/event with the narcisissm of doing so with continous upload and commentry via twitbook.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I don't get the hate for them at all. It's just a device used to take a photo. Did the tripod get this much hatred?

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove
NarcissiSTICK. It's not the device itself, it's what it represents i.e. how self-obsessed people have become (mainly the younger generation).

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Depressingly indicative of how image obsessed and self absorbed we have become. The whole selfie phenomenon is this really unhealthy approval seeking (see facebook likes, twitter followers etc...)

oh this. Watching people put pictures of themselves up and wait for positive comments. Attention seeking, I loath it.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
They ought to have more of what that Aussie Indycar driver has..........Will Power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Power

220px-Will_Power_-_August_2014_-_Sarah_Stierch.jpg

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014

Really ought to 'thumbs up' that but it would be against the spirit of your post!

Its the whole package though isn't it. The smile has cracked before the stick has been folded away, a quick fumble to upload it before wearily trudging onto the next 'must see sight'. Must say that my views were hardened after walking across Westminster Bridge last year.

Doesn't quite seem so bad when you are part of a group or a couple, and I know someone who took some great pics while surfing, but on your own? Miserable.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I don't understand the obsession for photographing everything (followed by the inevitable upload to social media) in the first place, and these things seem to just encourage more of said posts from vacuous attention-seeking idiots desperate to show everyone else what they're doing and where rather than taking the time to properly enjoy it themselves.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I don't understand the obsession for photographing everything (followed by the inevitable upload to social media) in the first place, and these things seem to just encourage more of said posts from vacuous attention-seeking idiots desperate to show everyone else what they're doing and where rather than taking the time to properly enjoy it themselves.

It's the impact on the experience itself that I can't abide. How can you really experience and enjoy a gig when you're watching it through a phone screen? The same with football matches. As for your kids plays it's unbelievable, the majority of parents are watching their kids through a screen and can't possibly enjoy the moment. It must be the same with holidays/tourism; surely you need to take in the atmosphere, experience where you are and appreciate it rather than record that you were there and move on like some sort of speed dating holiday.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apple have been working on Selfie Sticks for a while, here are some under development in the lab....

Attachments

• fall-crafts-for-kids.jpg
    fall-crafts-for-kids.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 378

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Having just traveled for a month in SE Asia I really find the whole thing narcissistic, self indulgent and frankly embarrassing. Everywhere I went there were single travelers using a selfie stick whilst pouting, yes pouting whilst taking a pic of themselves in front of crowds of people - how can they not be embarrassed?

Using one to take a nice pic of you smiling in front of a monument or iconic building is one thing but to pout in front of a tree or road sign really says a lot about our narcissistic society.

It is not the invention itself that is bad but rather the way in which it is being used.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having just traveled for a month in SE Asia I really find the whole thing narcissistic, self indulgent and frankly embarrassing. Everywhere I went there were single travelers using a selfie stick whilst pouting, yes pouting whilst taking a pic of themselves in front of crowds of people - how can they not be embarrassed?

Using one to take a nice pic of you smiling in front of a monument or iconic building is one thing but to pout in front of a tree or road sign really says a lot about our narcissistic society.

It is not the invention itself that is bad but rather the way in which it is being used.

Funny. I was in Barca last week and a solo girl spent over 6 minutes pouting into her camera and checking the images on the roof of the Milo building. It was plain weird, especially as she kept swishing her hair and tossing her head for a windswept look.

PS I was not timing her, knew it took this long as I was able to listen to a 6 min section of the audio commentary and learn something whilst she preened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here