Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC local news for Brightin

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I really do find the BBC's local news for Brighton and Worthing odd. It feels very much like we don't fit into either the South East or the South - South East mainly tends to cover Kent (and seemingly more Medway), and Souths coverage seems to cover mainly Solent up to Reading and even Oxford!!! We get a fleeting mention on BBC Souths football coverage, but as an afterthought after Southampton, Portsmouth, Reading and Bournemouth. Should there be another area for the "coastal corridor" from Hastings through to Worthing or Chi perhaps?

Meridians coverage doesn't seem any better either looking at it :(

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I was struck by South East Today's announcement on yesterday's evening news that "Only one South Eastern Club has reached the fourth round of the FA Cup".

That must mean their beloved "Gills" and that london club are out. As well as plucky Crawley? Or am I mistaken?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There should be SUSSEX NEWS.

But aren't we often told that Brighton isn't in either East or West Sussex? So they'll have to stick with Brighton TV, Thelatest it's called isn't it?

Feb 14, 2010
Its always been the way. First they split the county into East and West Sussex and then they split the news so that West Sussex looks to Hampshire and East Sussex looks to Kent. Disgraceful really, they wouldnt dream of doing that to Yorkshire or Lancashire but they had no qualms at all about doing it to Sussex.

Yoda

English & European
Its always been the way. First they split the county into East and West Sussex and then they split the news so that West Sussex looks to Hampshire and East Sussex looks to Kent. Disgraceful really, they wouldnt dream of doing that to Yorkshire or Lancashire but they had no qualms at all about doing it to Sussex.

The split is more in line with the River Adur, could you imagine if London news was split between the North and the South of the Thames?

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
The split is more in line with the River Adur, could you imagine if London news was split between the North and the South of the Thames?

The river is where I always see the East/West split is with Lancing being proudly in West Sussex. Can someone fill me in if this is the case?

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
It's pretty outrageous really, and of course has been mentioned before, but still irritates, as Brighton-Hove-Worthing is one of the biggest conurbations in the country, not to mention the satellite settlements such as Lewes, Haywards Heath etc.

Have you not been to Middlesbrough?

Yoda

English & European
The river is where I always see the East/West split is with Lancing being proudly in West Sussex. Can someone fill me in if this is the case?

Shoreham-by-sea and Southwick are West Sussex. East Sussex starts at Boundary Road, Portslade. But considering that the whole Brighton, Worthing & Littlehampton conurbation is one of the largest built up areas in Britain, my point about it being like London having it's news split North & South of the river still stands.

Oct 25, 2003
Shoreham-by-sea and Southwick are West Sussex. East Sussex starts at Boundary Road, Portslade. But considering that the whole Brighton, Worthing & Littlehampton conurbation is one of the largest built up areas in Britain, my point about it being like London having it's news split North & South of the river still stands.

the boundary isn't boundary road...if you drive along the coast you'll see that the divide is quite a bit further along

boundary rd is the split between portslade and hove

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
But aren't we often told that Brighton isn't in either East or West Sussex? So they'll have to stick with Brighton TV, Thelatest it's called isn't it?

When the channel launched I was able to watch using a set top aerial however over the last month /6 weeks the picture has become unwatchable; (all other channels are fine). Does anyone know if the signal strengh been reduced or has the channel frequency moved?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've recently moved back down to Brighton from London. It has been nothing short of wonderful to come 'home'. I've had absolutely no trouble getting back into the swing of Brighton life. Pubbing, country walks, decent work/life balance.. it's been a dream come true. But one thing that really makes me realise I'm not in the big city any more is the local news.

When the news in London went from National to regional, I'd hardly notice the difference.. It was all about dodgy politicians, stabbings, rapists, ending with an 'and finally..' story about honeybadger that could play the piano or something.

Moving down here the difference is hilarious. It goes from national news coverage to 'An Orchid shop in Cooksbridge, that was due to close down, now isn't.' Then they roll a ten minute VT, with archive footage, about said shop. Then it's back to the studio as our two presenters - who look like real news presenters that have gone off a bit - read out viewers opinions. "Barbara from Lewes has tweeted us to say she's happy the shop isn't closing." all this while earnestly swiping at an iPad in a desperate attempt to appear relevant, modern and 'in touch' with technology and the latest happenings.

I thought I'd entered the twilight zone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here