Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commuting - how BAD is LONDON Bridge this TIME?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just seen a number of NSCs finest on twitter giving a less than amused response to the latest incarnation of London Bridge. Have they actually managed to make it WORSE? Commuting to there tomorrow and Thursday and dreading it at the moment!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Just seen a number of NSCs finest on twitter giving a less than amused response to the latest incarnation of London Bridge. Have they actually managed to make it WORSE? Commuting to there tomorrow and Thursday and dreading it at the moment!

It's absolutely fine

Just don't travel there by train - I cycle from Vauxhall and it's an absolute breeze!

It's crap - thankfully I'm not far from blackfriars also though which is an oasis of calmness by comparison

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gave up on London Bridge around 6 months ago when it took 20 minutes just get off the platform.

Only use Victoria now

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I've moved office and now work right at Victoria station, so no more tube and more importantly, no more London Bridge. Yippee for me :)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
A friend has as their Facebook status today, "two days into the new year commuting, Brighton to London Bridge and already have four journeys worth of delay repay to claim"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gave up on London Bridge around 6 months ago when it took 20 minutes just get off the platform.

Only use Victoria now

This is, of course, what the train cos and Network Rail WANT you to do. Interesting that you're in the business???

Back in the real world I need to commute Portslade to Canary Wharf and then walk 15 mins or Portslade to Crossharbour DLR and walk 5. My options to get to Victoria direct are the 5.53 (too early) or 7.17 (too late). My change options are go to Brighton (ok-ish if connections work) or East Croydon and stand in a cattle truck. My reward for this? 2.5% extra on my fare, mainly to pay for your boxes to away days.

Luckily, unlike modern football, there is an answer. On Jan 21st my company will be holding a vote on permanent remote working. I am on the board and will be voting yes. The only reason for this is the disgraceful service on the network across the South East that means that we constantly move 9am meetings to 10 and 4.00 meetings to 3.30. Why the f*** should these lazy, idiotic c***s get our money any more. Think this can't be done? Google sococo. Google Office365. Google how City firms make sure their traders WORK from home. Google Go to Meeting and Webex.

We are a small company of 50 people but half commute. A vote in favour will lose 25 x season tickets across the Southern / South Eastern network. Not many is it? At least not until my CEO and others like him get on the conference circuit and start telling the world of tech and finance how they increased productivity by going remote thanks to Network Rail being the singularly most useless, f*** up company in living memory.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is, of course, what the train cos and Network Rail WANT you to do. Interesting that you're in the business???

Back in the real world I need to commute Portslade to Canary Wharf and then walk 15 mins or Portslade to Crossharbour DLR and walk 5. My options to get to Victoria direct are the 5.53 (too early) or 7.17 (too late). My change options are go to Brighton (ok-ish if connections work) or East Croydon and stand in a cattle truck. My reward for this? 2.5% extra on my fare, mainly to pay for your boxes to away days.

Luckily, unlike modern football, there is an answer. On Jan 21st my company will be holding a vote on permanent remote working. I am on the board and will be voting yes. The only reason for this is the disgraceful service on the network across the South East that means that we constantly move 9am meetings to 10 and 4.00 meetings to 3.30. Why the f*** should these lazy, idiotic c***s get our money any more. Think this can't be done? Google sococo. Google Office365. Google how City firms make sure their traders WORK from home. Google Go to Meeting and Webex.

We are a small company of 50 people but half commute. A vote in favour will lose 25 x season tickets across the Southern / South Eastern network. Not many is it? At least not until my CEO and others like him get on the conference circuit and start telling the world of tech and finance how they increased productivity by going remote thanks to Network Rail being the singularly most useless, f*** up company in living memory.

Not really in the business as such as my part of the public railway was purchased by a private company at the time as we were a profitable business.

Out of interest the 06:22 from Shoreham to London Bridge stops at Portslade so is that not an option ?

Interesting about the WFH business as our company are really pushing this as well, I now work two days a week from home as much more convenient. One of my staff is currently "stranded" in Abu Dubai for 9 days due to visa issues and she is just working from there within the UK time zone.

Given we now have no desk phones and use sync it is all very simple providing you have broadband

Last edited:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Also there tomorrow. When looking for a new job last year I specifically ruled out anything that involved more than one, or at the most, two days a week in the City. I'm not prepared to pay the ludicrous cost for the appalling service. In my case I've taken a salary cut to work locally, I do a day a week in the office at Houndsditch and that is plenty.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

whats this remote working you speak of? the world of business will be interested to hear of this revolutionary practice. or maybe not.

it doesnt work for everyone, and its far from productive when wrestling with dropping conference calls, not able to see shared data for a range of reasons, the kids and dog distracting you etc. then theres the sense of not being around, all those casual conversations that wont occur or you're not involved in. some will love it, some will put up with it, some will hate it. i wonder if the company has considered another option - moving to a less central location where employees can live nearby?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Glad I'm out of the commuting game. London meetings are set for 10am for me, and aim to be out by 3-4. I drive a lot now including M25 & M3 before 8am, and it's less stressful than the trains

Jul 7, 2003
I don't envy the regular commuters on here.

I have a few train journeys recently for work and the only problems I encountered have been with Southern. Oxford in December - Virgin Cross Country trains both ran to time - Southern to and from Southampton both very late. Derby before Christmas - East Midland Trains fine, Southern journeys to and from Victoria both delayed.

Today I went to Sheffield - my Southern train to Victoria was 15 minutes late arriving (despite being on time most of the way up). East Midland up all on time, Trans Pennine and East Coast Mainline back all on time. Southern from Victoria 10 minutes late leaving as not all of the train was in place. On that train which left after 7pm, there were still people who had to stand from Clapham Junction to Hove.

For me these are minor inconveniences on ad-hoc journeys. For regular commuters, the constant delays and cancellations and the lack of seats compared with the money you pay must be so frustrating.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Here's a question if I may for commuters / train experts.

I purchased a weekly ticket for travel from St Albans City to Canary Wharf - to run from yesterday, Monday 05 January 2015. Cost was £103.20. I travelled as planned yesterday (Monday). However, I was not able to travel today / will not be able to travel the remainder of this week - due to unforeseen circumstances.

Anybody know if I have any chance of getting a part refund of the ticket (i.e. so I just pay for one day's return travel)? I've looked at various websites (rules not clear) and e-mailed Thameslink (no reply yet).

Thanks!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Here's a question if I may for commuters / train experts.

I purchased a weekly ticket for travel from St Albans City to Canary Wharf - to run from yesterday, Monday 05 January 2015. Cost was £103.20. I travelled as planned yesterday (Monday). However, I was not able to travel today / will not be able to travel the remainder of this week - due to unforeseen circumstances.

Anybody know if I have any chance of getting a part refund of the ticket (i.e. so I just pay for one day's return travel)? I've looked at various websites (rules not clear) and e-mailed Thameslink (no reply yet).

Thanks!

GTR will probably ask for a letter confirming why you cannot travel as a rule of thumb most weekly season tickets are cheaper than three standard returns.

Oh and I heard a rumour this week that if GTR do not sort out this mess by Easter they may well have their franchise withdrawn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here