Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toko

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I've just read the Argus article about Toko, and I'm still none-the-wiser as to what the issue with him is. I know that he suffered a knee injury in pre-season, but surely he must be fully recovered from that now, otherwise why would we occasionally name him on the bench for 1st team games?

Looking at his pedigree, it's clear that he's had a decent career at a pretty good standard before joining us, so I've even more mystified.

Anyone have any further insights?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Indeed - just wondered why someone of his pedigree hasn't seemed to be close to the 1st team.

Because the Swiss league isn't very good and his former team are one of the whipping boys allowed into the Champions League every year to make up the numbers?

Remains to be seen whether he is any good or not (not sure we can trust Hyppia's assessment of a players ability) but I certainly wouldn't call the Swiss league a 'pedigree'.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ive seen him play 3 or 4 times for the u21s now, and have yet to blown away, but its so difficult judging a player at that level, with other better players around him who knows.

For me its a no, I would get rid if at all possible.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Because the Swiss league isn't very good and his former team are one of the whipping boys allowed into the Champions League every year to make up the numbers?

Remains to be seen whether he is any good or not (not sure we can trust Hyppia's assessment of a players ability) but I certainly wouldn't call the Swiss league a 'pedigree'.

Yes FC Basle are really a crap team and aren't Switzerland ranked above England in the FIFA rankings

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Yes FC Basle are really a crap team and aren't Switzerland ranked above England in the FIFA rankings

Yes. But thats the national team. Anyway thats al nonsense amyway because in the real world, there would be a lot more teams aboth us.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I have also seen him play for the U21s a few times. To easy brushed aside in tackles, last night he was reminded several times from the bench to pick up his player, he seems to switch off or not have an idea where to be when we do not have the ball. Does not create an awful lot when he has the ball. A lot better players on the pitch then him. He does show the odd bit of skill, but lacks defensively. Can not see him making the first team, maybe he needs to go out on loan

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
he's played a handful of Champions league games, in which they were not necessarily whipped, and was a consistant presence in their team. accepting that the Swiss league isnt too great, that counts for something and i reckon he's suffered some sort of problems with settling in.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I must be one of a select 'few' (2000?) to see him play a first team competitive game.

He did well, can't tell from 20 mins when you ate 2-0 up though!

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
From the highlight video on NSC when we first bought him he looked like a ready made Bridcutt replacement, flying into well won tackles in a DM position ??? Curious.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Listen to COG and remember that Toko has had a bigger learning curve and probably more issues in settling than he did........

Not necessarily well treated or well supported and hardly surprising if appearances in the junior side leave him somewhat dispirited.

Can't see him being here for the full length of his contract but would've said the same about Kemy. :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Thought he would be the 'main man' on the pitch yesterday v Villa.

He wasn't.

Rea, who'd been converted to defensive midfielder, looked much better.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
According to the Argus he turned down more lucrative offers to come here. Now if he is not fitting in here why don't we get shot? There were allegedly 4 or 6 other clubs after him before we signed him? At least send him out on loan. It's all a bit weird this signing, don't you think?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Yes. But thats the national team. Anyway thats al nonsense amyway because in the real world, there would be a lot more teams aboth us.

Oh didn't Basle knock Liverpool out of this years Champions League , and in years passed they also knocked out Man Utd in years passed , they are a quality team , perhaps the Swiss league is better than you think

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
According to the Argus he turned down more lucrative offers to come here. Now if he is not fitting in here why don't we get shot? There were allegedly 4 or 6 other clubs after him before we signed him? At least send him out on loan. It's all a bit weird this signing, don't you think?

Has anyone come in for him re a loan deal? If not that might say something

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
he's played a handful of Champions league games, in which they were not necessarily whipped, and was a consistant presence in their team. accepting that the Swiss league isnt too great, that counts for something and i reckon he's suffered some sort of problems with settling in.
It's the fact that Naylor reports that Spartak Moscow, Augsburg (6th in the Bundesliga) and Hannover (8th in the Bundesliga) among others all made moves to sign him that leads me to believe there MUST be something to him as a footballer, and is part of the reason why I find his complete lack of game-time so mystifying. Those clubs are all far higher up the food chain than we are in terms of the quality of player they can attract.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here