Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you think are the 3 most likely signings Chris Hughton will make?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I will plump for Sebastian Bassong, Javi Garrido and Elliott Bennett.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
2 x prem loans ....halford permanent with a view to push dunk forward...palacios .....dereck awrkwright ****ington stanley from bumsmadworth utd......near leigh in essex......some good lads apparently...!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
He'll be the man to end all the rumours and finally deliver us Lampard, Owen and Zamora wearing the stripes.

Or, you know, not...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I will plump for Sebastian Bassong, Javi Garrido and Elliott Bennett.

Bit obvious no?

Bassong I would welcome BUT we signed Halford already so unless we are going to lose Dunk in this window I think it would be a poor use of the transfer fee (reportedly £1.1m) and wages.

Garrido is described as a marauding left back but we have Joe Bennett already so unless on a free this looks like one we would be better waiting until the close season.

Elliott Bennett is a big YES for me depending on the fee and whether their new manager (Phelan or Oscar?) fancies him. I thought he began to show his true form once the weight of Sami's dubious tactics was lifted.

If we hold on to O'Grady (a decision which seems to be as much about emotional and family commitments as financial and footballing ones) then I think we need a back-up target man for him. Bolton's choice of Heskey was inspired in my view - not as a goalscorer but as someone who others can play off. I would go for Vaughan at Huddersfield - injury prone perhaps but that might make him affordable and on his day one of the best target men in this division. Failing that Doyle at Chesterfield looks interesting but the competition for his signature might be too steep.

I think we need to decide between CMS and Baldock as the man to play through channels and play that person every game bearing in mind both have flourished playing off a target man. If it is going to be Baldock who is on a long term deal then CMS either needs to be sold before his contract expires or played wider to compete with Colunga. What we don't have is an attacking central midfielder to challenge JFC. If Tex wasn't so lightweight he has the skills but what we desperately lack is a "midfield captain" who will keep his head and marshall those around him when we don't have the ball and drive us forward when we do. Some names for the hat? Karl Henry from QPR (unrealistic) or Danny Guthrie (Reading).

Last edited:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Jamie O Hara attacking midfielder now at Blackpool, Elliott Bennett and a loan target man striker like Gary Hooper.
Is that the same Jamie O'Hara that was ripped apart by his own fans whilst at Wolves for his absolute lack of toss giving during their relegation season?

He used to be a useful player when at Spurs (I think?) but since then hasn't done an awful lot (certainly not positive anyway).

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Sanogo is going to Bordeaux, as said above.

Think Bassong will join and would be happy with it, better option than Hughes IMO, and the latter will most likely be released in June. Maybe Becchio too?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He had many problems at Wolves and just perhaps he may realise that he has to change his attitude if he wishes to continue playing football, and perhaps CH could be the man to make him realise and change him. Does anybody, players that is, pay attention to what fans shout NO as most is said in jealousy as was demonstrated by the morons from Wolves at The Amex against him simply because he was earning more per week than most of them earned per year.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
He had many problems at Wolves and just perhaps he may realise that he has to change his attitude if he wishes to continue playing football, and perhaps CH could be the man to make him realise and change him. Does anybody, players that is, pay attention to what fans shout NO as most is said in jealousy as was demonstrated by the morons from Wolves at The Amex against him simply because he was earning more per week than most of them earned per year.

True, but then he may also make no effort to change his attitude, leaving him as a bit of a gamble for one of CH's first signings. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to believe that he has/will sort himself out but football is one of the few industries where having an attitude problem can still be amply rewarded (Ranger, Harewood, early Barton), leaving little incentive to change.

I'm pretty sure that their attitude that day had nothing to do with jealousy at his wages, rather his demonstrable lack of effort to actually earn them. If he'd put in as much effort as Bakary Sako that day (who I seem to recall was applauded more than any other by the Wolves fans, though I stand to be corrected) I don't think there'd have been any issue whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here