Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Buy to Let Experts? Good and Bad Experiences Sought

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
Happy New Year All

I've thought about going down the buy-to-let route for some time now and, if brave enough, will make 2015 the year I commit!

Throughout the normal course of life, I've bought and sold properties (sole residences that I've lived in) and am now in the fortunate position of having a sizable amount of equity.

Rather than ploughing it all back into another residential property, I'm considering downsizing my residential property and using most of the equity to purchase a flat to rent out. (I'd still need some of the equity as a deposit on the residential property which would have to be mortgaged.)

As a beginner landlord, I would use a letting agency to manage the tenants etc. How astronomical are their fees?

I don't have a very high risk appetite; I've worked too hard for too long to risk losing it all now, so I'd want to play it as safe as possible, i.e. flat near Brighton station. But I'm petrified that tenants will trash the place and I'll end up spending any profit on repairs, or worse, end up in debt.

I'd still be working so looking to do this as a sideline to boost my woefully inadequate pension fund!

I do have an appointment with an IFA next week to discuss financials, but just thought I'd try and get some personal experiences, both good and bad, from the wise owls of NSC. Would you recommend it? Have you done and wished you hadn't?

So please share your thoughts, by PM if preferred. I would appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Uh-oh. Get your tin hat on quick.

BTL landlords are third only to recruitment consultants and Bill Archer, on here.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
brave.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A decent lettings agent 10% tops. Best mortgage rate higher the deposit but some amazing btl deals out there at the moment. BTL is going to BOOM this year with the new pension rules from April. I can see landlords aged 55 and over queueing up to make offers on properties. The residential market gets tougher and tougher due to very strict mortgage rules since 4/14 in fact the latest figures show mortgage approvals down 22% year on year and that is from a relatively low level post 2008 anyway

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Oh great another landlord to rince us poor renters for life

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This will be fun. It was not that long ago Simster was claiming there was no risk and Westdene Seagull was claiming most landlords are in poverty and can hardly make ends meet.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Be extremely discriminatory. You'll be seeking employed, white, mid twenties to early 30 's professional people with references, deposits, work record and good diction. And remember, letting agents are concerned with making money for one person, guess who that is.
You're welcome.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Be extremely discriminatory. You'll be seeking employed, white, mid twenties to early 30 's professional people with references, deposits, work record and good diction.
You're welcome.
You've just described me!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The UK now has a lower level of home ownership than the EU average 63% as opposed to 70%, even France will overtake the UK within 2 years and within 10 years home ownership as things are going will fall below 50% for the first time ever

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Uh-oh. Get your tin hat on quick.

BTL landlords are third only to recruitment consultants and Bill Archer, on here.

I've never understood the dislike with BTL landlords if I'm honest. But I'm a Recruitment Consultant too so I guess I already tick one box so two can't be much worse! :lolol: :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I've never understood the dislike with BTL landlords if I'm honest. But I'm a Recruitment Consultant too so I guess I already tick one box so two can't be much worse! :lolol: :thumbsup:

What about an recruitment consultant who is also a property landlord ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is a market that massively favours buy to let investors now. You can't blame people for taking advantage. The problem is with the situation as it is now literally every property on the market down here will now be purchased by btl landlords especially at the £ 250k and under level, shutting out ftb's and ftm's. If you were a vendor you would go with the investor if you were savvy as it will be far less problematic potentially, I am not saying it is right, far from it but it is the mortgage and property market we have moved onto and that will only get worse or better depending on your viewpoint after April

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No its okay you rent out the tiny one bed flat for £850/month and cream it off to pay your mortgage. That is a cool and good thing to do well done you.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Blame the politicians and regulators for this situation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here