Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Copper centenary ... with added Harveys

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tomorrow sees the centenary of the birth of one of Sussex's finest: Bob Copper, folk singer, writer and archivist

It's nice of Harveys to mark the occasion with some special ale but they really could have got the year of his death right - he died in 2004, not 1982. That's not even close

http://www.harveys.org.uk/2015/01/bob-copper-centenary-brew

Here's John Copper, Bob's son (complete with proper rural Sussex accent) with the Imagined Village collective talking about Bob's dad, Jimmy Copper and when he was a labourer up by Saltdean Valley.

.....All you can see now is 'ouses, 'ouses, 'ouses.

...and if anyone's interested (probably not!) in the follow up album John Copper does a brilliant slowed down version of "Cum On Feel the Noize". My favourite track from the album.

Tomorrow sees the centenary of the birth of one of Sussex's finest: Bob Copper, folk singer, writer and archivist

It's nice of Harveys to mark the occasion with some special ale but they really could have got the year of his death right - he died in 2004, not 1982. That's not even close

http://www.harveys.org.uk/2015/01/bob-copper-centenary-brew
A shocking mistake that I will take up with Ed Jenner when I see him on Wednesday. I thought it might have been the year that Ron Copper (Bob's cousin, who ran The Queen Victoria in Rottingdean) died - but I've looked that up and found that Ron died in 1979.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sad to see Harvey's stooping to this level in order to boost sales. It will be the same old Harvey's but with a different label.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Reading his pastoral works and I am always taken to the fabulous early August walk from Lewes Golf Club over to Glynde. Through styles and pathways surrounded by acres of golden wheat. Heaven indeed in all it's Summery guises.

TNBA

TTF

His books are well worth a read - his most recent (published posthumously) is a " A man of no consequence" dealing with his life in the army and later in the Sussex Police at Worthing during WWII.

It is hard to imagine Rottingdean being in the middle of open downland with trips to Brighton probably rare. One of the books details a village trip in a lorry to Chailey which to many was probably an exotic far away place!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sad to see Harvey's stooping to this level in order to boost sales. It will be the same old Harvey's but with a different label.

I don't see why this "stooping". it's standard practice for many small brewers to celebrate local events: Harveys has produced several one-off brews in the past and will do so again. And Bob Copper is certainly one local who deserves celebrating - better him than Norman Baker :)

EDIT: Harveys have just tweeted me that they've corrected the date of his death on the website

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
One of Bob Copper's poems, "A True Story" is about my great uncle.

I went to see the Copper family perform a few years back at Piddinghoe Church. Wonderful!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Don't worry about vegster, If it was Slop Street Craft Co producing a Bilberry and Mango IPA he would be saying what an inspiring and appropriate celebration of a local hero.

Well obviously I would, after all he was found dead, head first, in a Bilberry bush with a Mango shoved up his arse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here