Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing!!

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Doesn't usually bother me. I sit in the North stand for the atmosphere and like it there. I've been going to footie since the 70's so I know the score.

My littleun is getting into footie now, she is 7 and has been to Chelsea about half a dozen times with me and to Brighton on Boxing day. Taking her to Brigthon again on the 17th, the day of her Birthday as that is what she wants to do. I'm chuffed about that.

The swearing on Boxing Day from right behind me made me feel quite uncomfortable with my littleun being there. I never ever swear when she is about, I have tried explaining to her that it is just part of the football and that she will hear bad words and that she shouldn't use them....

I aint no prude (ex sailor of 8 years) and I swear with the best of them in certain circumstances, but if there are kids about I just don't do it.

I nearly turned round to say something but bit my tongue, and that's not like me...lol....

It's not really nescessary to swear with every other word, is it?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Prepare for various "**** you, you ****" comments!

I agree, and it seems to get worse and worse (in society generally). It really is a sign of a limited vocabulary.

Having said that, I think it's always been the same at football, and I don't really think it did me any harm.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Why should they stop swearing for your kid, if you were in the family stand and mouthing off I could see your gripe, but if you take them to the North its part and Parcel of the North.

I dont get the big deal with parents these days, I was always warned about swearing and if I was caught using it I'd be in trouble. Kids will have heard most things by 7 anyway apart from maybe the ****.

If you dont want her to hear swearing dont take her in the north, dont expect people to change how they behave just for you.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Following advice I "had the talk" with my boy (10 at the time) about language at football.

It went along the lines of "there are things that you will hear at the football that you can repeat at the football, but NOWHERE else." It was made very clear that it wouldn't be tolerated at home or even on the train or the approach road to the Amex, but at the game, in the heat of the action, that passion was part and parcel of football for many - and rather than pretend it didn't happen, we would approach it maturely.

Then the first time he stood and, at full voice, called the referee a w@nker, I died a little inside. It had seemed a sensible way to approach the issue of swearing with a pre-teen but, in hindsight, I'd really have preferred it had I never had to hear him say it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I sit in the North stand for the atmosphere and like it there.

You know full well that if you're in the North, there WILL be swearing. Every game.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Prepare for various "**** you, you ****" comments!

I agree, and it seems to get worse and worse (in society generally). It really is a sign of a limited vocabulary.

Having said that, I think it's always been the same at football, and I don't really think it did me any harm.

Not really I have an extensive vocabulary and swear with the best/worst of them. Surely if you swear that gives you a greater range of words to choose from and those that don't have less words to illustrate their world. The North Stand is great for atmosphere (Usually) and letting off steam, swearing is part of that for me. I take my kids to the Upper West if I want them to go to the footy.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
You know full well that if you're in the North, there WILL be swearing. Every game.

This.

And also who cares. Swearing is brilliant, and our language would be significantly poorer without it. Kids need to learn this sometime, and there's no better place for this than the football.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Following advice I "had the talk" with my boy (10 at the time) about language at football.

It went along the lines of "there are things that you will hear at the football that you can repeat at the football, but NOWHERE else." It was made very clear that it wouldn't be tolerated at home or even on the train or the approach road to the Amex, but at the game, in the heat of the action, that passion was part and parcel of football for many - and rather than pretend it didn't happen, we would approach it maturely.

I had exactly the same conversation with my son at about the same age, we had only previously been in the family stand at Withdean, which was usually pretty quiet. We agreed we wouldn't tell his mum anything he said at football, within 10 mins of arriving home after his first game at The Amex he pretty much confessed everything he had said at the game.

The 'funniest' moment was when Casper spilled the ball in the Arsenal cup game, and cost us the match, and in complete frustration he dropped the C-Bomb. He apologised profusely, but was so angry with him he couldn't contain himself.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Why not go in family stand? Should solve the issue and it's cheaper. Sit near enough to the North to catch the atmosphere but not too close to hear the swearing.

Better still, teach her to sing the songs and improve the atmosphere in the East Lower. Well maybe not "My Ole' Man......"

PG

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Doesn't usually bother me. I sit in the North stand for the atmosphere and like it there. I've been going to footie since the 70's so I know the score.

My littleun is getting into footie now, she is 7 and has been to Chelsea about half a dozen times with me and to Brighton on Boxing day. Taking her to Brigthon again on the 17th, the day of her Birthday as that is what she wants to do. I'm chuffed about that.

The swearing on Boxing Day from right behind me made me feel quite uncomfortable with my littleun being there. I never ever swear when she is about, I have tried explaining to her that it is just part of the football and that she will hear bad words and that she shouldn't use them....

I aint no prude (ex sailor of 8 years) and I swear with the best of them in certain circumstances, but if there are kids about I just don't do it.

I nearly turned round to say something but bit my tongue, and that's not like me...lol....

Oh my god! Where were the stewards?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Seriously, you should not be taking your kid to the North stand if you do not like bad language.

It's a bit like standing in a pub and complaining that people are drunk and the club have always made it clear that if you're going in the north then the language will (not maybe but WILL) be more colourful.

I sometimes swear at matches and especially in the heat of the moment after a bad refereeing decision and if you'd had turned round to complain to me about my language, I would have told you to move.

The club try to cater for everyone but sometimes, and especially in circumstances like this, fans have to use their common sense and help the club out.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This.

And also who cares. Swearing is brilliant, and our language would be significantly poorer without it. Kids need to learn this sometime, and there's no better place for this than the football.
Swearing is brilliant? I find that a strange comment ..with regards to the OP, as has been said by others don't sit in the North

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
As a rule, I try to tone down the swearing if there is anybody clearly pre-teen around me, either on the train to football or at the ground. However, it's football and the odds are that I've had a few beers too, so I'm still going to swear a fair amount. Whilst I agree with others that there will always be swearing in the North Stand, I do find it a bit much when somebody is calling the ref a "F*cking C*nt" in front of a kid who can't be any older than 9 or 10.

:shrug

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not really I have an extensive vocabulary and swear with the best/worst of them. Surely if you swear that gives you a greater range of words to choose from and those that don't have less words to illustrate their world. The North Stand is great for atmosphere (Usually) and letting off steam, swearing is part of that for me. I take my kids to the Upper West if I want them to go to the footy.

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear enough. What I meant was, you often hear people in everyday conversation (i.e. at the bus stop or down the pub), say something along the lines of "I was like ****ing at work and my ****ing mate was ****ing drunk, would you ****ing believe it?" Shouting "Oh ****", when Gardner's cross misses his man by thirty yards is a completely different matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here