Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG and CMS

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
It's been really interesting to see the interview with COG and his post-match comments. Hughton has rightly supported COG in his post-match interview and hopefully will keep him on and persuade him to stay. It's also interesting how COG supported CMS, saying that CMS did the hard work for him at Brentford. There has never been any doubt that CMS is a good and hard working team member. Maybe Hughton needs to consider keeping both in the squad to get the best of of the team? A key question is whether CMS might improve with match fitness and the chance at last to play in a team with 2 up front?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And Brighton won

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, but don't reckon on all of this over-re-evaluation of COG and CMS. However nice blokes they might be, they're League One players and need replacing.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've been a big supporter of CMS based largely on his work rate but I'm now thinking he's just not up to it .. his ball control is shocking and he's definitely lost his pace since the injury.

Not sure how he can be used any more and don't see the little and large combination being used, or working particularly where little = CMS ... Baldock maybe?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sorry, but don't reckon on all of this over-re-evaluation of COG and CMS. However nice blokes they might be, they're League One players and need replacing.

That's the difference between listening to a match and watching it live.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We did Saturday

Really, thought Baldock spent most of his time in the first half dropping back to a left sided midfield role in a futile attempt to stop the Brentford attacks starting down their right. Still no doubt one man's 4-2-3-1 is another man's 4-4-2

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's the difference between listening to a match and watching it live.

Seen enough of both of them to form a firm opinion. And that opinion is that neither player is good enough for this level. It's the same opinion a huge majority on here shared until the feelgood factor associated with a change of manager and a couple of decent results appears to have caused a worrying number of people to have taken leave of their senses.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It doesn't matter what formation you play if one of the players can't control the ball when it's passed to him. :shrug:

FWIW, I too thought we played 4-2-3-1 and not 442 for most of Saturday.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Seen enough of both of them to form a firm opinion. And that opinion is that neither player is good enough for this level. It's the same opinion a huge majority on here shared until the feelgood factor associated with a change of manager and a couple of decent results appears to have caused a worrying number of people to have taken leave of their senses.

I would agree about CMS, but, in fairness, you haven't seen COG since Hyypia left. The system that Jones and Hughton played is more to his strength.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would agree about CMS, but, in fairness, you haven't seen COG since Hyypia left. The system that Jones and Hughton played is more to his strength.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the merits of seeing out the rest of the season with CMS and COG up front. Personally I'd be gobsmacked if either one of them came good. Neither will overtake Dunk's goal tally - even if Dunk gets sold in January. IMHO, like.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Really, thought Baldock spent most of his time in the first half dropping back to a left sided midfield role in a futile attempt to stop the Brentford attacks starting down their right. Still no doubt one man's 4-2-3-1 is another man's 4-4-2

That's exactly what happened, Baldock did not play up front and Hughton acknowledged he was out of position post match. Sadly Sam was given other duties.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the merits of seeing out the rest of the season with CMS and COG up front. Personally I'd be gobsmacked if either one of them came good. Neither will overtake Dunk's goal tally - even if Dunk gets sold in January. IMHO, like.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...rady-chris-hughton-new-challenge-2181005.aspx

Brighton & Hove Albion striker Chris O'Grady felt he had more success in 30 minutes at Brentford, than he did in his initial four months at the club, and now he is relishing a new challenge under new boss Chris Hughton.

Reinvigorated by his loan spell with Sheffield United, O'Grady replaced Mackail-Smith midway through the second half, and helped Albion into round four of the FA Cup.

He saw one effort saved and trickle agonisingly wide, then he hit the post, before finally firing his first goal for the Seagulls in stoppage time to clinch the 2-0 win.

He said, "The gaffer said work hard and put myself about, and that’s what I did. It was a nice feeling to be on the pitch and have multiple chances. I had three shots in half an hour; I probably didn't have three shots in the first four months here.

"Goals are what strikers need and I'd like to dedicate it to Macca. His hard work before I came on allowed me to do what I did because he had worked the centre-halves to the point that the game was open and they were tired.

"He was a bit down because he didn't get the chance to get any shots away, but he's just got to keep going because I know that position: you just need to keep going. He did really well."

O'Grady says he is now ready to play his part in the club's battle to move away from the Championship drop zone, and hopes the change in manager will also bring a change in fortune for him, having previously believed his future lay elsewhere.

"It's a fresh direction now," he added. "If the team plays to my strengths then that’s what I can do.

"Things are becoming a bit clearer with every game that I play, but as of a week ago I believed my future was back up north.

"But if I'm wanted and utilised here, then I've got something to give – but if people don't believe I've got anything to give then it’s time to go.

"It was the toughest period [in the first half of the season] I've probably had in my life. As well as trying to settle in the area, it was my partner and three babies as well, so it was very tough.

"If it's down to hard work, then I'll be fine. If it's down to playing to my strengths, putting a shift in and contributing, then that's definitely what I can do.

"The style previously didn't suit me, but every manager has the right to have whatever style they want, but it appeared I wasn't really required. If I am required now, then I'm looking forward to the future."

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Two players who have an understanding are worth three players whom don't - give them both a chance together for a few games and see what happens, even if just as a plan B

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We didn't play two up front on Saturday. Baldock was wide right, Tex behind CMS and March wide left.

When O'Grady went up top and Baldock moved central in the Tex role they had a few decent link ups.

It's possible in some of the tougher away games we could see something like CMS - Baldock - Colunga with COG as the focal point as they'll all put a good shift in and help defend from the front.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Always thought CMS runs around like headless Chicken However when Bent went off against Reading he came on and looked dangerous likewise whilst OGrady scored at Brentford I do agree with most that neither are really up to it.. Perhaps if CMS grows 8 inches and can compete in the air he might be ok ..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here