Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2015

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Went to see Birdman at the DoY's this afternoon. Very good turnout for this,the cinema was 85% full it seemed.

My overall impression was that the film is a masterpiece although I find it hard to actually categorise why. All the actors have their chance to shine but Keaton shines through as the ex " Birdman" superhero actor, Riggan Thomson, who is on a desperate quest 20 years later for respect and adoration as a serious performer and director.

It's part comedy,part drama,part tragedy,part surreal but a must see.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Went to see Birdman at the DoY's this afternoon. Very good turnout for this,the cinema was 85% full it seemed.

My overall impression was that the film is a masterpiece although I find it hard to actually categorise why. All the actors have their chance to shine but Keaton shines through as the ex " Birdman" superhero actor, Riggan Thomson, who is on a desperate quest 20 years later for respect and adoration as a serious performer and director.

How does the marking work on this ?
8.8 for a masterpiece.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Paddington (went on a school trip) - 6.7

The start was briliiant, but the rest was a bit of a let down. There were bags of options other than the heroic path they chose. Disappointing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How does the marking work on this ?
8.8 for a masterpiece.

9.0 + for a Masterpiece. It came close though. maybe I should have downsized my original statement to " close to a masterpiece"

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The start was briliiant, but the rest was a bit of a let down. There were bags of options other than the heroic path they chose. Disappointing.

I agree, after a good start it became very formulaic with an unlikely evil nemesis and a contrived rescue plot. Pity.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
9.0 + for a Masterpiece. It came close though. maybe I should have downsized my original statement to " close to a masterpiece"

Ok , but be careful I,m watching from now on.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Like the sound of this and hope to see it this week. I read that there are a lot of long single takes that are impressive but distracting - was this the case?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Battle of the 5 Armies (yes ok it was Dec but saw it NYD)
probably the best of the "new" Hobbit movies. Im taking them as movies in their own right as opposed to looking to close to source material. 8/10. Probably second to The Two Towers.

Street Fighter Assasins Fist. This is a great martial arts movie this is NOT the JCVD rubbish. Proper bona fide martial arts movie that happens to use Ken and Ryu from the games. 8.5/10.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Like the sound of this and hope to see it this week. I read that there are a lot of long single takes that are impressive but distracting - was this the case?

Yes but they are not distracting, you do have to concentrate though and there are lots of walk through scenes as the camera follows one of the leads through the theatre backstage.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I ran across them filming when walking btw a couple of work sites in London. It was their last day of shooting and the crew i met were really fun, chatting lots. Small clip in the film.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Saw the final of the Hobbits with my preferred, uncrackable flask t'other day. I'd seen the other 2, both times, i think, on Netflix, and maybe that is part of the reason i had no feeling for anyone involved, with me really probably boredly watching whilst doing my Fantasy Football. This was the best of them, with less chatter and more action. Not particularly great, and a disappointment that the more inventive and odd direction of Fernando Del Toro didn't infuse this trilogy, but wasn't as unbearably dull as the last 2.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

My other half's friend's husband was the film's director. We both thought it wasnt all that. I slept through half an hour of it in a packed Duke of Yorks a few days back. The previous film we saw there was Wild, the Reece Witherspoon hiking one. I slept through about ten minutes of that, which brings me onto the Stephen Hawking film that we also saw at a packed a Duke of Yorks the day after Birdman - what a film and what a performance by Redmayne and yes you guessed it, I didn't sleep at all and not a dry eye on our row, just a great watch.

Birdman 6.8
The Theory of Everything 9

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I cannot agree about Paddington. I thought it was a Triumph. From start to finish. It could not have been possible to make a better first film imo. The added bit with Kidman as the Taxidermist was done to make it edgier and keep people on their toes and it worked, for me and judging from the reaction every person in the sold out cinema. The stories in the original 14 books are all very slow paced and gentle. It has a very strong cast, Michael Bond endorsed the film and was in an early scene raising a glass of wine to Paddington as he walked past, nice touch. The cgi was magnificent and the bear, perfect with the voice inspired as well. It ran along nicely for 96 minutes with a seamless flow of great scenes and gags for young and old, it is a film for 4 - 94 year olds. Lovely 8.7

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I cannot agree about Paddington. I thought it was a Triumph. From start to finish. It could not have been possible to make a better first film imo. The added bit with Kidman as the Taxidermist was done to make it edgier and keep people on their toes and it worked, for me and judging from the reaction every person in the sold out cinema. The stories in the original 14 books are all very slow paced and gentle. It has a very strong cast, Michael Bond endorsed the film and was in an early scene raising a glass of wine to Paddington as he walked past, nice touch. The cgi was magnificent and the bear, perfect with the voice inspired as well. It ran along nicely for 96 minutes with a seamless flow of great scenes and gags for young and old, it is a film for 4 - 94 year olds. Lovely 8.7

I agree - saw it with the family on Xmas Eve Eve, and we all loved it. It got a resounding 8.5/10 from us, and that would have been higher we it not for the low score the wife gave it because Paddington didn't look like he does in the books. Kidman was as always very sexy in her jumpsuit (not that that was the purpose in this film)

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Night of the Museum 3 - Fell asleep it was that dull. I give it a 2.9 although my son who stayed awake said he enjoyed it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Paddington a " Triumph " ? Someone must have given you some dodgy Jelly beans Uncle ? A good start but downhill all the way once the " evil " Kidman turned up. It's difficult to be kept on the edge of your seat worrying that a CGI bear might/might not get stuffed.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Paddington a " Triumph " ? Someone must have given you some dodgy Jelly beans Uncle ? A good start but downhill all the way once the " evil " Kidman turned up. It's difficult to be kept on the edge of your seat worrying that a CGI bear might/might not get stuffed.

Well the books were very special to me as a young boy so it is personal

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well the books were very special to me as a young boy so it is personal

I can understand that, I'm still hoping there will be a big screen version of The Clangers. Mind you, if the plot revolves around a plot to turn The Clangers in to cuddly toys I will not be happy.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to watch Birdman this evening.

Very weird. It felt like it was either saying something deep, with lots of symbolism, or suggesting the lack of meaning and empty symbolism of things and I'm not sure which. But generally, I liked it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here