Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BDO "world championship"

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
It's a bit of a con really isn't it? For some reason there is a massive difference in the quality of the darts from the PDC and the BDO. I'm watching the darts on the BBC this afternoon and can honestly say I've seen better darts being played down the pub, whereas the PDC stuff seems more accurate and is more about margin of errors. I think if the BDO players played against the PDC lot they'd get massacred.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Correct, its pony.

Bunting held his own in this years PDC mind you.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
It also seems a little.... Ermmm.... cheap and dated, compared to th PDC. Seems like a big night out for northerners. I'm being stereotypical, but it is!!!!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Love the BDO. It's what the first week of January is made for.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So Bunting, last years BDO champion got to the last 8 of the PDC this week. But were would the second place or lower come in the PDC?
A lot of it is money though. PDC backed by Sky TV and all their millions attract the top players, a bit like Chelsea, Utd, City etc.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Watching the BDO after watching the PDC is like a top prem team against a Rymans team. Switched over after 10mins.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the plus side I enjoyed watching last year's Ladies winner Lisa Ashton beat No. 1 seed Dita Hedman. On the minus side what the hell were these two doing meeting in the first round? If the BDO were a proper outfit with a proper sponsor this shambles would never be allowed to happen.

O'Shea vs Mitchell and Dekker vs Adams in Round 1 is also poor seeding.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In football terms it is very much 'Coming to you live from Hackney Marshes..'.

Amazing the BBC still cover it.

And Hearn always knows who to recruit and who will cut it, it isn't every BDO champion. You knew Bunting was class. Adams wouldn't last five minutes.

damo1971

Jun 21, 2011
More money in pdc and all the top players are already there. You will often get one or two top players in bdo, but you can almost always guarantee that they will defect to the pdc the following year.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
It's good for people like me and other who can't afford Sky, shame we are in this situation, where most of the country aren't able to watch the best players and are stuck with those below par.

People who go to the BDO are more 'dart people' though, the PDC is a fancy dress piss up basically, with the darts as a sideshow.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
People who go to the BDO are more 'dart people' though, the PDC is a fancy dress piss up basically, with the darts as a sideshow.

Most people at the PDC darts are dart people there for the darts and there's more of them than at the BDO. There's just a sizeable fancy dress element that makes it seem like it's just a big piss-up.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We all know there is a difference in standard between the PDC and the BDO but so is there between the PL and the rest of the footballing pyramid. If you are slagging off the BDO you are effectively saying that the grass roots of darts counts for nothing, just the same as slagging off all levels of football below the PL.
The PDC needs the BDO to recruit the best up and coming talent such as Bunting. The BDO lacks the competitive sharpness of the PDC, relying on county and international matches to spot talent. Young players need the platform of the BDO to get noticed. In case you've forgotten, it was only relatively recently that MVG came through the BDO and before him many others.
There are good players at the Lakeside and there will continue to be good players coming through. They can't start their careers in the PDC, they have to earn their place via the BDO. It is the training ground for future stars.
Please don't take the lazy route and keep slagging off the BDO...' Oh its rubbish....I don't watch it...I switched off after 5 mins etc etc '
Just like the football league was here before the PL came along and became the centre of the Universe, so the BDO was here before the PDC. Darts players wanted more money and with encouragement from outside sources engineered the rift in the game that exists today. The two bodies can work side by side like football but SKY has got its ugly grubby mits on the game like football and created elitism.
Taylor, Van Barneveld, MVG, Anderson and many others owe a big debt of gratitude to the BDO for getting them started and getting them noticed and nothing will change in that respect. Without the BDO, darts has a limited future.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
There are good matches in the BDO version. Adams v Dekker and Mitchell v O'Shea both offered excellent quality darts. Obviously it doesn't have anything like the strength of the PDC version but, as has been said above, it is the proving ground for the bigger stage.

There has to be room for both. That's why I shall be going to Lakeside tonight.

:thumbsup:

Proper darts atmosphere, none of the constant singing/slagging between tables and stands. "we pay your benefits" etc.

Got so bad at the PDC this year Sky were constantly muting them. Why go to darts and not watch?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here