Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans - which club?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Anyone heard which League One club is being brave enough/fool hardy enough/rape apologists enough to employ him? Rumours everywhere but no names.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Last I saw in the paper a club in Malta were going to make him an offer!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sunday Times says that Gordon Taylor is attending the press conference at the request of the scummy League 1 club involved.

I really hope it isn't Crawley.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone heard which League One club is being brave enough/fool hardy enough/rape apologists enough to employ him? Rumours everywhere but no names.

Put aside the questionable conviction, how is employing someone that has served their punishment being an apologist ? My company employs a couple of people with criminal convictions - does that make my company an apologist for assault and theft ? Do the crime, serve your time and then re-integrate. What about the Albion fan sent to prison - should he never be employed again ?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Put aside the questionable conviction, how is employing someone that has served their punishment being an apologist ? My company employs a couple of people with criminal convictions - does that make my company an apologist for assault and theft ? Do the crime, serve your time and then re-integrate. What about the Albion fan sent to prison - should he never be employed again ?
This argument has been hashed and rehashed on here time and time again. There is a hierarchy of crimes. Being a pro footballer is not the same as other jobs in terms of public eye, role model etc. Surely not that hard to understand

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A few weeks back, when Ronnie Moore had suggested he would like to sign Evans for Hartlepool, it was discussed on sunday supplement and it was mentioned the commute to Hartlepool would be prohibitive, but that a league club closer to where he lived was interested.

Where does he live?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Daily Star claims it's Port Vale.

Edit : The Port Vale chairman has now gone on record as saying it is not them.

Last edited:

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Whoever it is good luck to them for having the balls to ignore the inevitable backlash from this countries PC brigade. No doubt we will hear the predictable 'sponsors threatening to withdraw' and 'season ticket holders vowing never to go again' rubbish. If whoever it is can tough it out for the first two games or so it will soon all be forgotten. If he start scoring on a regular basis he will soon be forgiven. Why should he not be allowed back? He's served his time. Luke McCormack killed two people when drunk behind the wheel of a car (a life changing event for that family) yet he is back playing, he's the captain of Plymouth!!! Likewise Lee Hughes came back to the game. Marlon King who has many convictions has played since being released including Sheffield United. Where were Charlie Webster and Paul Heaton and Jess Ennis when he signed for them in Sept 2013 with a conviction for assaulting a woman?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Can't go abroad due to his conviction.

Surely he should be allowed to play in the EU though? Due to freedom of movement and all. I bet if he appealed to the European Court of Human Rights he'd probably be allowed.

Whoever it is good luck to them for having the balls to ignore the inevitable backlash from this countries PC brigade. No doubt we will hear the predictable 'sponsors threatening to withdraw' and 'season ticket holders vowing never to go again' rubbish. If whoever it is can tough it out for the first two games or so it will soon all be forgotten. If he start scoring on a regular basis he will soon be forgiven. Why should he not be allowed back? He's served his time. Luke McCormack killed two people when drunk behind the wheel of a car (a life changing event for that family) yet he is back playing, he's the captain of Plymouth!!! Likewise Lee Hughes came back to the game. Marlon King who has many convictions has played since being released including Sheffield United. Where were Charlie Webster and Paul Heaton and Jess Ennis when he signed for them in Sept 2013 with a conviction for assaulting a woman?

Difference is, all of them have at least shown some remorse for his actions. Despite being convicted in a court of law, Evans isn't even one bit remorseful as he thinks he's innocent. Obviously we don't know what actually happened in that hotel room, but if the Criminal Review Commission still find him guilty, why should he play?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ignore the inevitable backlash from this countries PC brigade.

It's up to this club what they do as it will be up every individual how they respond to it.

Just because other people have "got away with it" doesn't mean that if people object to this they shouldn't voice their opinion. Evans defiance brought attention this case in the first place, I maintain he would have been far better off to have the appeal done before attempting to resume his career because to many people he's an unrepentant rapist.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The angle expressed on the other thread about him is an interestng one and I can see some logic. The blogger says him beinb stopped playing football is a bad example for offenders wanting to get their life back in order. Allowing him to play would serve as a better example.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Surely he should be allowed to play in the EU though? Due to freedom of movement and all. I bet if he appealed to the European Court of Human Rights he'd probably be allowed.

I doubt it, I don't think freedom of movement applies to someone on parole. Scotland would probably be ok.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Why should Evans be stopped from playing pro football again? Mike Tyson was able to carry on boxing after he served time for rape. Marlon King was convicted of sexual assault, handling stolen cars, assault, credit card crime, fraudulent use of vehicle license, theft, woundng. Graham Rix, convicted of underage sex (rape). Lee hughes, causing death by dangerous driving. Luke McCormick, drink driving causing death by dangerous driving. Lesley Grantham(Actor) convicted of murder. Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness, look at their past associations, but are now free to tale up their seats in Parliament should they so wish.
I seriously doubt whether anyone can come up with a genuine argument to why Evens should not be allowed to resurrect his career as the above mentioned were or have been allowed to resurrect theirs.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Why should Evans be stopped from playing pro football again? Mike Tyson was able to carry on boxing after he served time for rape. Marlon King was convicted of sexual assault, handling stolen cars, assault, credit card crime, fraudulent use of vehicle license, theft, woundng. Graham Rix, convicted of underage sex (rape). Lee hughes, causing death by dangerous driving. Luke McCormick, drink driving causing death by dangerous driving. Lesley Grantham(Actor) convicted of murder. Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness, look at their past associations, but are now free to tale up their seats in Parliament should they so wish.
I seriously doubt whether anyone can come up with a genuine argument to why Evens should not be allowed to resurrect his career as the above mentioned were or have been allowed to resurrect theirs.

Er... this has been covered above.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here