Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the fans go a bit far with the COG songs?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Wondering if over a thousand fans apparently ripping the piss out of one of our own is the way forward. Is this chant a bit far?:

If O Grady scores
We're on the pitch
If O Grady scores
We're on the pitch

It certainly got a reaction, good on COG for keeping his composure and scoring.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well we done it with Nelson ... did they with o'grady ? .... mind you back then we were just ushered back to the terrace

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I did think that. Some of it was basically mocking your own player.

Supporting him is fine, and even the 'He scores when he wants' you'd probably get away with as a funny chant after a first goal, but some of the rest of it was needless taking the piss.

He's had a very good week, helped set up the second at Fulham with a great touch and now a fine goal at Brentford. Second chance for the lad.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Classic Floyd from the Judge and the Bollox Crew at the game yesterday. I think they called it 'COG in The Machine'

"Welcome COG, welcome to the BHA machine.
Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been up in Sheffield, filling in time.."

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not quite how Chris put it in his post match interview.
Seemed genuinely touched and encouraged by the change of heart from the fans...

"I was surprised i was supported by the fans so heavily since i came on...I suppose they spurred [the goal] on. [smiles]... if they wanted to come on the pitch they could have congratulated me"

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8mgpEskrRQ

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I think it did get a bit OTT but it worked! Hopefully it'll be the first of many goals to come.

Made me laugh how no one wanted to the first to get on pitch...

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I didn't hear/see it as taking the piss, I thought it was encouragement.

Besides, "There's only one Chris O'Grady... one, Chris O'Grady,
Walking along, singing a song,
Walking in O'Grady wonderland".

Great song and huge kudos to whoever started it.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The vast majority of it I would say was encouraging, certainly at the game. The 'How shit must you be/O'Grady has scored' chant would have been too far had it been sung in the ground and not at the station afterwards. I think we really would have been on the pitch had he been first on the score-sheet!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wondering if over a thousand fans apparently ripping the piss out of one of our own is the way forward. Is this chant a bit far?:

If O Grady scores
We're on the pitch
If O Grady scores
We're on the pitch
I didn't hear that (on the radio), was it just why he had a chance or an ongoing chant?

"I was surprised i was supported by the fans so heavily since i came on...I suppose they spurred [the goal] on. [smiles]... if they wanted to come on the pitch they could have congratulated me"

Blimey, seems like he's had a really depressing few months.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Interesting interview and i agree with your suggestion re his surprise.. you could tell by the tone he was genuinely surprised and pleased.
Even more revealing are his comments re his fitness/confidence and how he felt he was being played. ..only after gentle probing from the interviewer ..my respect for him has gone up a few notches.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013

If O Grady scores
We're on the pitch
If O Grady scores
We're on the pitch

It certainly got a reaction, good on COG for keeping his composure and scoring.

Clearly the stewards thought we were serious because they suddenly called for reinforcements when that chant started. :wave:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Clearly the stewards thought we were serious because they suddenly called for reinforcements when that chant started. :wave:

The funniest thing was the number of stewards who rushed in front of the disabled fans, at the side, to stop them invading the pitch!!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't hear/see it as taking the piss, I thought it was encouragement.

Besides, "There's only one Chris O'Grady... one, Chris O'Grady,
Walking along, singing a song,
Walking in O'Grady wonderland".

Great song and huge kudos to whoever started it.

I too only heard it as being positive.

That was a very good interview. I really like this guy. As Albion fans we should continue to give him our support and hope he stays here. Clearly he can be a good striker if played in a striker role (what the hell was Hyypia all about?) and with decent support on the pitch.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
This reminds me of when we signed Nogan who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo for the first three months and then he scored a fluke goal as a result of a scuffed keepers kick which rebounded off him and ended up in the back of the net. He then went on to score shed loads for us that season.

Basically with strikers, just one goal can lift their confidence and I've seen so many go on a drought and the with one moment of fortune their season can change.

I hope that's the case for COG and that he becomes a real force for us, as it will give us another option.

I'm still not convinced by Baldock yet, but it may be a similar situation with him.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
What a nice bloke. It's quite revealing that he says that [under Hyppia] he didn't know what he was doing here or why he was here...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

What a genuinely lovely lad. I hope Chris Hughton and Nathan Jones watch that video and give him the backing he needs and I am sure his performances will match his attitude. Good luck to him and his family. IF he stays, a potential Albion hero.

Remember when Poyet said he would build his side around CMS and then did everything but? COG is one you could genuinely build an attacking style round. Will CH do it? I really hope so.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What a genuinely lovely lad. I hope Chris Hughton and Nathan Jones watch that video and give him the backing he needs and I am sure his performances will match his attitude. Good luck to him and his family. IF he stays, a potential Albion hero.

Remember when Poyet said he would build his side around CMS and then did everything but? COG is one you could genuinely build an attacking style round. Will CH do it? I really hope so.

Definitely. Really hope it works out - shame Sami seems to have handled him so badly and wrecked his confidence, form and fitness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here