Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] ASHTON-JONES ON THE COMEBACK TRAIL

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011

Brighton & Hove Albion women’s defender Vicky Ashton-Jones is delighted to be available for selection again following her recovery from a long-term knee injury.Ashton-Jones joined manager James Marrs and a number of her Gillingham team-mates in making the switch to the south coast last summer, but had to wait until December for her debut against Copsewood, after spending the past 16 months recovering from an anterior cruciate knee ligament injury.
She told seagulls.co.uk, “The game was a long time coming. I tried not to over-think it too much because I thought I’d get too nervous.
“I was feeling so hyped when I was walking out onto the pitch and I couldn’t quite believe it was happening. It was an awesome feeling as I had been out for so long. I had made the move mid-rehab to Brighton and I was so excited to make that first-team appearance and hit the ground running.
“I fully ruptured my cruciate ligament, the typical ACL footballer injury. I played the first game of last season for Gillingham and the following week I basically suffered the injury in a game and had to wait nearly six months for the operation. I spent the best part of nine to ten months in rehabilitation, so it was a long time out.”

LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK

The defender praised the support of Albion’s medical staff and her team-mates for their roles in her recovery and says she had no doubts about changing clubs mid-way through her rehabiliation.“To some people it could be seen as a hindrance, but to me it was only a positive because I knew about the fantastic facilities at Brighton and that I would be in the best capable hands for my rehab.
“I had full confidence in the facilities and all the staff in the physio department were fantastic in helping me to get back fighting fit.
“James [Marrs] and all the girls have provided me with a fantastic support network, but I knew that I was always going to have to fight for my place in the team.
“I’ve been patient in doing so and had games for the development squad, which was important for confidence reasons and to get myself back into the swing of things. I’m not 100 per cent yet and I never expected to be, but hopefully with more game time and training, I’ll be where I want to be in the next couple of months - then I can push on."
Vicky then looked ahead to the Sussex derby against Lewes this afternoon and believes the game is vital in ensuring that the team maintain their challenge at the top of the table.
“It’s a big game; obviously it’s a local derby and our first game after Christmas, so it’s probably one of the most important games of the season.
“With the recent break after picking up some good wins before Christmas, it could have upset our momentum. But if we win, then it continues our good form going into the second half of the season.
“Not only is it a big game because of who we’re playing against, but also because it could set us up to have a strong finish to the season.”
[h=3]ALBION V brentford
[/h]saturday 17th january, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]Albion v ipswich
[/h]SATURDAY 24TH JANUARY, kick-off 3pm

[h=3]Albion v nottingham forest
[/h]SATURDAY 7TH februARY, kick-off 3pm

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here