Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we a better side without JFC ?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Missing the last two games and arguably two of our best performances of the season.

Are we a better side without him and does he start against Charlton ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not necessarily but we are a better side with a ball winner, a ball player and a more creative sort. We always have been.

The midfield balance under Hyypia was completely wrong.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
A lot of the criticism of him has been unfair as he has played mostly out of position. Depending on how Hughton wants to shape the team if JFC plays in front of Ince and Holla then we'll see the best of him!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think the main issue was that both him and Gardner were playing at the same time and they were very similar players. Should have been one of the two.

Happy to see Holla & Ince as the holding pair now though.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Depends where he is played. His natural area is in a more advanced, attacking role but he is almost always played much deeper. He's tidy and dependable in possession but doesn't quite have the physical presence to play that holding role to the level that Ince or Holla can. It'll be interesting to see how Hughton utilises him.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We had a better record without Vicente. England have a better record without Rooney. sometimes football doesn't make sense. Is this one of those occasions?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Depends if you ask him to play as a defensive midfielder as Sami did, he is simply not a defensive midfielder and should never have been played in that position. As far as I'm aware he plays in a more advanced role for England U21's and he's done nothing but impress for them, and the few times I've seen him played further forward and given more of a license to play he's a much better player.

JFC is a talented young player, with a good head on his shoulders which is rare to find, lets give him so more time to develop and hopefully we'll see him in a more advanced position. He's too good to loan out but in some ways I think a loan out to a team that guarantees him starts in a more advanced position might get his development back on track.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
We certainly are, at least in the role he'd been playing. He's simply not mobile enough to do that job - watching attacking players stream past him toward our goal has been one of the many frustrations of the first half of this season. Maybe Hughton will use him differently, but with two wins and two clean sheets in a week with Holla and Ince playing, and a stated need to add some experience to the centre of the park, he may have to wait to get back in.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well with two wins seems Holla and Ince works, so you would either have to drop Tex or March or Colunga, depending on which ones play....would you?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
No, but we are a better side without Hyppia.

JFC was being worn out. He even said he was tired two months ago after playing two under 21 games in the international break and yet Hyypia continued to pick him every week after that.

The break will do him good. Hopefully when he comes back the midfield will be stronger and more experienced and it will allow him to get forward more which is the better part of his game.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
Well with two wins seems Holla and Ince works, so you would either have to drop Tex or March or Colunga, depending on which ones play....would you?

The no brainer pairing of Ince and Holla in midfield has led to the renaissance, but our previous manager was too dumb to spot the obvious.
I think JFC would thrive in an attacking mf position given the defensive backup as above.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The no brainer pairing of Ince and Holla in midfield has led to the renaissance, but our previous manager was too dumb to spot the obvious.
I think JFC would thrive in an attacking mf position given the defensive backup as above.

Yep, probably, but who would make way from the team that played at Fulham and Brentford?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Depends what job your asking him to do in a game. He is suited to a role where he has got midfielders in behind him who can do a sitting job. If your asking him to do the sitting job then we have better players suited to the role.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
My abiding memory of JFC is from a couple of years ago when he first broke into the first team under Gus. He only had a few cameo appearances but he seemed to have the ability to arrive in the box like a young Lampard.
Gareth Southgate is the England U21 manager and has played young Jake pretty much every game that he has been available. I watched last years U20s competition and was relieved, after the first two games, when he finally put Jake on the bench. After about 15 minutes there was an injury and Jake was on! I was selfishly worried about Brighton instead of England!
I think what I am trying to say is that the boy is a player and we are lucky to have him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here