Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gambles on players from non-league that have paid off

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
With Andre Gray enjoying a great season with Brentford (although not today :) it got me wondering as to just how often plucking players from non-league actually pays off.

I can think of a fair few the Albion have tried to get up to speed, sadly without success (Doug Loft, Chris Holroyd, Nathan Elder) and the only real success story I can recall is the great OGH. But of course when Hart was a great player for us, we were a different club, and he was at his best when we were knocking about the bottom two divisions.

How many examples are there, Albion or otherwise, of players being plucked from relative obscurity in non-league football, and going on to enjoy a great career in the Premier League or Championship?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Charlie Austin, Chris Smalling the obvious recent ones

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Charlie Austin, Chris Smalling the obvious recent ones

Good shout on Austin, and I genuinely hadn't realised Smalling began at Maidstone. That's a fairly impressive rise all the way to international level, albeit in a team short of quality, and not convincing when he has played...

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Ashley Barnes.

Playing for Eastbourne to earning his team a point at Man City in 7 years. (8 years from non-league to Premiership if you want to only count clubs he was at peremntly.)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ashley Barnes.

Playing for Eastbourne to earning his team a point at Man City in 7 years. (8 years from non-league to Premiership if you want to only count clubs he was at peremntly.)

Not sure that really counts, he's always been pro, just went on loan to Eastbourne as a youngster

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chris Waddle, Ian Wright

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Alex Revell is doing ok, and limited as he was, I loved him when he was here.

Chris Holroyd probably should have stayed where he was...

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Graham Pearce

1982 - played for Barnet against the Albion in the Cup
1983 - Cup Final with the Albion

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It also seems to be something that happens a lot to strikers, and not very often for 'keepers, defenders & midfielders.

Ian Wright, Kevin Phillips, Les Ferdinand, Jermain Beckford, Gary Hooper & James Vardy have all come up from non-league football with varying degrees of success.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Not sure that really counts, he's always been pro, just went on loan to Eastbourne as a youngster

As somebody else has pointed out, he started in non-league before signing for Plymouth. Just mentioned Eastbourne due to them being local which I thought helped put his achievements in to perspective.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For us there is nobody to compare with Peter Ward but surprised nobody has mentioned the football genius Johnny Crumplin who Barry Lloyd brought from local football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here