Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think I might have single handedly turned our season around*

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Seriously.

My brother bought me an Albion (bobble) hat for Christmas. To be honest, I wasn't a massive fan of it but took it with me to wear to the Reading game. Only trouble was, I had it in my pocket and forgot all about it until half time. Those of you who went to the game will be well aware how dire we were in that first half. Fortunately with the temperature dropping and the weather worsening I remembered my christmas present and whacked it on. The result? A warmer head and a much improved second half performance culminating in Calderon's last minute equaliser.

On to Fulham. I had my hat on half an hour from kick off. The result? A dogged and at times fluent away performance ending in only our fourth league win all season and a first clean sheet in eight games.

Finally, today's game. I'm going back to Japan tomorrow morning so have spent this afternoon listening to the game on the radio whilst packing. 88 minutes into the game with the score a stalemate I realised my hat was tucked away in a corner of a suitcase. Surely, it can't, I thought. Nonetheless, with two minutes to go, I put my hat on. Roughly ten seconds later we won a free kick. March steps up, whips it in, Dunk gets a glancing header on it...1-0! A few minutes later O'Grady. The much maligned on NSC Chris O'Grady is put clean through to wrap it up. 2-0!

Three games, put on at different times in those games, three results. Five goals, none conceded. Has my hat turned the Albion's season around?

*Whilst I'm claiming to have single handedly turned our season around, I guess my brother should take some credit too, for buying the hat. But mainly, it's me.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Luckily my apartment is freezing in winter so for the forseeable I will be wearing it while I listen to the games in bed. I can't guarantee what will happen once the weather warms up...

I reckon it was the kids at the Xmas party who gave the slit-throat gesture to Sami

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
His name is Gary Nelson
He wears a magic hat
And when he saw the bobble
He said I'm wearing that!

He put it on at half time
And his spell began to weave
Our spirit soon was lifted
Just like you wouldn't believe

And now we're happy riding
Back on that crested wave
It's thanks to Gary Nelson's Left Foot
Our season he has saved.

La la la la...............:albion:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Can you keep it on for the next 40 years?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You sure you didn't put it on about 5 mins before half time against Reading? I swear that the goal and that series of 3-4 long throws by Halford causing havoc in the Reading box really got the crowd and team going. In the 2.5 games since, we've scored 6 and conceded 0!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Please don't overlook the fact that you have never been wearing it at kick-off. Do not change a winning system.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A truly lucky hat doesn't need to be worn solely on one's head. In the sleepy summer months, simply attach a single-threaded belt around and wear it around the midriff during matches - remembering then come wintertime to strongly wash away the remnants of stagnant parts-juice from the head cover of good fortune.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Any chance that you could post a picture of the young lady in your avatar doing a similar pose whilst wearing said bobble hat? :D

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I read that and all I get out of it is that if your brother had bought you that hat in August, perhaps we'd be looking at winning the division late next month. It's his, and your, fault we are so far down the table. I hope you're both happy with yourselves. You cost two men their jobs.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I read that and all I get out of it is that if your brother had bought you that hat in August, perhaps we'd be looking at winning the division late next month. It's his, and your, fault we are so far down the table. I hope you're both happy with yourselves. You cost two men their jobs.

I see what you mean but I'm not convinced. If he had bought me a hat in August it most probably wouldn't have been this one that is imbued with pure footballing magic when placed upon my head(or body if Meades Ball is correct). Then where would we be? No, Diana Ross's mother knew that you can't hurry love and, likewise, perhaps you can't hurry the marriage of a lucky hat and head. Who knows?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
you could always take 50 or so Seagulls hats with you to Japan and give them away, so increasing our world exposure ....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I see what you mean but I'm not convinced. If he had bought me a hat in August it most probably wouldn't have been this one that is imbued with pure footballing magic when placed upon my head(or body if Meades Ball is correct). Then where would we be? No, Diana Ross's mother knew that you can't hurry love and, likewise, perhaps you can't hurry the marriage of a lucky hat and head. Who knows?

Whatever helps you sleep at night, dude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here