Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jones and hughton just proved how bad sami was

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
1 win in 18 games for sami. Then jones takes over and we get a great come back from 2 goals down, then a 2 -0 win.
then hughton comes in and we grind out another 2-0 win.
i think we have probably scored more goals since sami left than the whole time sami was in charge, we also have 2 clean sheets in the last 2 away games.
I think as both jones and hughton had the same squad as sami ,this proves once and for all that its not just the bad signings . Yes our recruitment was poor but not as bad as bottom 3.

hopefully as bloom really wanted sami to stay, he now realises this. As we all did......well done boys keep up the good work:cheers:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Sami's 4-3-3 formation just wasnt working and he was foolish to persist with it for so long. You need quality players in all positions for it to work.

Jones and Hughton are spot on with the 4-2-3-1 formation, as it suits the players we have perfectly.

el punal

What is apparent, since Hyypia left, is the upsurge in confidence in the team. The way we battled back against Reading, the never say die performance at Fulham, and the continuation of that, today, at Brentford shows the Albion are at last playing like a side with purpose.

My feeling is this would not have been possible a few weeks back - think of the awful display against Millwall. So is this down to Nathan Jones (and of course the introduction of Chris Hughton as the new manager) or is it a collective resolve with the players to "pull their fingers out" and show us what they are capable of.

Whatever it is, the turnaround is nothing short of astonishing. The confidence and the elation shown by the team after winning at Fulham and, today, at Brentford was so gratifying for us long suffering Albion fans.

Early days I know, but at least we can look to the future with a bit more optimism.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I think both jones and hughton had the same squad as Sami

Isn't the squad slightly diminished, as we have had some loanees leave now? Of course, the debate as to whether those loanees were any good is another matter.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Appreciate and respect both the passion and frustration of the post.

I think for all now, the realisation is that the correct two persons have left the building and we move on with scarfs twirling and sold out away ends.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I wonder if our players were too much in awe of Sami? Great footballer with a stellar career as a player is bound to be held in absolute awe by the players we have. Jonesie takes over, the players think,"Well he's just like us!" and relax. Consequently they play good football. Just a thought.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
Nice guy but wrong tactics, wrong formations, square pegs in round holes, dour Finnish character which didn't exactly help him.
A team talk from SH would have resembled having to watch a dour Scandinavian whodunit in dull monochrome, watching your neighbour hanging out their washing, or an episode of depressed enders. One will do.
This obviously propagated the yankee doodle/ay ay adio chants out of sheer boredom.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
seriously?

When Gus took over we were 6-1 to beat Southampton in his first game, and do you remember the score? I do, I won £120.

I thought it was common knowledge that a new manager always gets early results as every player is playing for his place and the confidence lifts. Morales drops with some managers who loses the dressing room, and if players don't want to play for a manager then the results don't come. A new man in charge always brings results, and that's why changes are made.

So judge the man after half a season, not one game. Don't get me wrong, I am delighted the "No shots on target in 6 games" stories didn't come true today and I would love to see a run of straight wins till the end of the season, but it's early days.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
1 win in 18 games for sami. Then jones takes over and we get a great come back from 2 goals down, then a 2 -0 win.
then hughton comes in and we grind out another 2-0 win.
i think we have probably scored more goals since sami left than the whole time sami was in charge, we also have 2 clean sheets in the last 2 away games.
I think as both jones and hughton had the same squad as sami ,this proves once and for all that its not just the bad signings . Yes our recruitment was poor but not as bad as bottom 3.

hopefully as bloom really wanted sami to stay, he now realises this. As we all did......well done boys keep up the good work:cheers:

Did Bloom really want Sami to stay - or was there a meeting where they agreed it wasn't working, Sami said he didn't appriciate more games at the Amex where he was gonna get some stick, and the official line they used was 'resigned' after a compensation package was agreed... I wonder...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Did Bloom really want Sami to stay - or was there a meeting where they agreed it wasn't working, Sami said he didn't appriciate more games at the Amex where he was gonna get some stick, and the official line they used was 'resigned' after a compensation package was agreed... I wonder...

Very much this I suspect. Bloom reluctant to admit he'd got it wrong with Hyypia, Hyypia wishing to salvage a smattering of reputation, both recognising he had to go, a compo package which included Bloom talking up Hyypia, Hyypia resigning and Bloom reluctantly accepting it. Job done.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I wasn't at the game yesterday, but from what I've read and heard from a couple of people we were very much second best yesterday for at least an hour and could have been 2/3 down and out of sight.
Reading some comments on here saying it was one of our best performances, im confused as to what to believe.
Anyone give an unbiased view of yesterday's game?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I wasn't at the game yesterday, but from what I've read and heard from a couple of people we were very much second best yesterday for at least an hour and could have been 2/3 down and out of sight.
Reading some comments on here saying it was one of our best performances, im confused as to what to believe.

We rode our luck for the first 60 mins, and could easily have been 1 or 2 down. The final 30 mins we were on top, hit the post, one off the line and two late goals. We were weak down left side and lacked threat up front until last 30 mins.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

Typical battling Cup away performance in my view - for the first hour or so a mixture of Stockdale, stout defensive work and their poor finishing kept us in it (though we still made a few decent chances on the counter).

After that we grew in confidence, looked much more dangerous and made three great chances to score, hitting the woodwork twice - so no surprise when we nicked it with two excellent late goals. Onwards and upwards.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Typical battling Cup away performance in my view - for the first hour or so a mixture of Stockdale, stout defensive work and their poor finishing kept us in it (though we still made a few decent chances on the counter).

After that we grew in confidence, looked much more dangerous and made three great chances to score, hitting the woodwork twice - so no surprise when we nicked it with two excellent late goals. Onwards and upwards.

Just seen the highlights. Not sure I agree with some posters that said it was a good performance.....battling as you rightly say.

January is a huge month for us on the pitch and in the transfer market. As you say, onwards and hopefully upwards.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Let's not kid ourselves we were any good yesterday! We were completely over-run for the first hour - Brentford should have been three up at half time. The tactic of playing Baldock in the Ashley Barnes position didn't work - we were constantly exposed down our left, and I was amazed it took over an hour to change things. Chicksen was completely out-classed, and there was little in the way of effective support for him. The worst thing was the poor passing, the hoofing of the ball to CMS, who had no hope, and the way we continually let Brentford walk the ball to the edge of our area with little in the way of challenge.

Thankfully, we finally made some changes, and HEY PRESTO things changed!

And CMS surely must be relegated back to League One now….he just doesn't have the skill or physical presence to succeed in the Championship.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Did Bloom really want Sami to stay or was there a meeting where they agreed it wasn't working, Sami said he didn't appriciate more games at the Amex where he was gonna get some stick, and the official line they used was 'resigned' after a compensation package was agreed... I wonder...

I think something along these lines was worked out which met both parties targets

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And CMS surely must be relegated back to League One now….he just doesn't have the skill or physical presence to succeed in the Championship.

This also, after three years with little glimpse here and there time to let him go back to Peterborough if they want him this month. He has never hit the heights as a championship player and his control of the ball is appalling. He needs kick and rush and we don't play that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here