Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save our Hippodrome

Lush

Mods' Pet

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
Don't be lazy. Pay a land registry search if you are that desparate to know. Then £21 million from some lottery funds and grants and then make an application. I've read the save the hippodrome business plan and it is a farce. Not a penny of funding in place

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the hippodrome will be saved as it it turned into a cinema. the decor with be retained and the fabric of the building will be maintained, so whats needing to be saved?

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
the hippodrome will be saved as it it turned into a cinema. the decor with be retained and the fabric of the building will be maintained, so whats needing to be saved?

Spot on. it hasn't been the hippodrome since 1964! Only a bingo hall and a home for pigeons for nearly 10 yrs.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The group campaigning to stop the Brighton Hippodrome on Middle Street being turned into a multiplex cinema has noticed that surrounding properties on Ship Street Gardens have been bought/boarded up.

Can anyone help with the answers as to owns them? (although I would have thought you could ask the Land Registry)

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/SaveOurHippodrome?fref=nf

Link to campaign here: http://ourhippodrome.org.uk/campaign/index.html

Thanks for the links. Despite the views of a couple of other posters, I think the Hippodrome should be treated as a tarnished jewel in the crown of our wonderful city and, as such, it needs a bit of tlc and restoration. It could be the fabulous and only third of it's type in the world, yet our local council thinks we need another multiplex. What's the point of a magical, unique interior if it's covered up.

Oct 25, 2003
not knowing much about the site, what are the opponents to the cinema proposing?

i think it would make a great o2 academy style gig venue, as would the other derelict building on grand parade (forgotten the name). probably don't need two venues of that type so maybe one gig venue and something else

do we need another city centre cinema?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Does our council realise we already have a multiplex in the town and in the Marina,yet another one would cause problems to the existing cinemas,possibly the developers in time will go for flats.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Does our council realise we already have a multiplex in the town and in the Marina,yet another one would cause problems to the existing cinemas,possibly the developers in time will go for flats.

Read last month in the argus that the plan is to demolish kings west building and extend Churchill Square to the seafront. I would imagine Odeon would be keen to get another venue in the city centre when they leave for the building work to commence.

Oct 25, 2003
Read last month in the argus that the plan is to demolish kings west building and extend Churchill Square to the seafront. I would imagine Odeon would be keen to get another venue in the city centre when they leave for the building work to commence.

i know that they're loooking into extending CS into the Brighton Centre and have been for a while- does the plan include getting rid of the Odeon as well? good news if it is...those two buildings are an absolute shambles

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks for the links. Despite the views of a couple of other posters, I think the Hippodrome should be treated as a tarnished jewel in the crown of our wonderful city and, as such, it needs a bit of tlc and restoration. It could be the fabulous and only third of it's type in the world, yet our local council thinks we need another multiplex. What's the point of a magical, unique interior if it's covered up.

its not the council's thinking, a cinema company has decided there is enough demand in Brighton for another multiplex. you might like to look up the proposals - they intend to keep all the interior open as a large resturant area iirc, with the cinemas underneath. the alternative is it remains in its current state as a boarded up memory of yesturyear while someone builds a business plan for another use (which they've failed to do so this far). did Gala Bingo have the same problems all those decades ago?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I am very close to the Hippodrome and see it every day. Yes it would be nice to save it but why has no one done that in the past 14 years?
And what to do with it. One place that comes to mind is the Tunbridge Wells theatre now owned by wetherspoons. In my mind a good restoration keeping most of the old feel and fittings. Not that we need another 'spoons. Reopen as a theatre? The Brighton Centre, Theatre Royal & the Dome more than enough seats and conference rooms. Add to that the big Hotels (Hilton & Grand) with rooms.
I've looked at the new plans which seem to keep much of the interior as coffee bars etc so as long as they are forced to keep that I'm OK with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This, this, this.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
not knowing much about the site, what are the opponents to the cinema proposing?

i think it would make a great o2 academy style gig venue, as would the other derelict building on grand parade (forgotten the name). probably don't need two venues of that type so maybe one gig venue and something else

do we need another city centre cinema?

There was a plan for a live music venue there, but the issue was that there is no way to soundproof the building whilst also conserving the interior. The neighbours around there would object to this type of use and any noise pollution would be guided by strict operating times.

It should be a live performance venue, but it will never happen.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
"Jewel in the crown"? Are you serious? It is derelict and has been a pigeon coup since bingo finished 10yrs ago. Read the business plan that has taken 50 yrs for the luvies to produce after planning was approved!! 50yrs to produce a an based on £21million apparently to be raised by the save the hippo few from the national lottery and other such grants! Laughable. I think the luvies don't want pigeons evicted from their home.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights

Plans have been drawn up yet again for a new conference/concert venue at black rock.the Odeon and Brighton centre will be turned into an extension of Churchill square.Livenation will sponsor the new venue.It is estimated the cost will be £450m

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suspect you have a point. Could people at least look at the alternatives before dismissing the objections?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
A cinema complex would go be good in that area. Lots of places to meet and eat. They should pedestrianise more of that area. The 'luvvies' don't have a sustainable plan. Don't agree with expanding Churchhill Square further though. How many more shops do you we really need?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
A cinema complex would go be good in that area. Lots of places to meet and eat. They should pedestrianise more of that area. The 'luvvies' don't have a sustainable plan. Don't agree with expanding Churchhill Square further though. How many more shops do you we really need?

Depending on type of shop(s) that go to the new Churchill square. If a large department store , john Lewis as example, came in this would be a massive draw for the city. Agree however that another outlet for top man, card factory primary and other such chain stores are not required.

Oct 25, 2003

if it was a large, really good department store like
john lewis then yes. the front end could be used for bars and restaurants overlooking the sea. the current CS is an absolute missed opportunity. people love to come to brighton to shop, drink and eat- if you build it they will come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here