Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich fan on Hughton

DerbyCanary

Dec 31, 2014
Apologies for starting a new thread, I did read the one when he was appointed, but can't seem to locate it now after I had to wait a day or two for mods to accept my account.

Firstly, I was disappointed to see all the negative comments about NCFC in that thread. Not sure why so many of your fans seem to have taken issue with us, as we generally get on well with other team's fanbases, and I have particularly fond memories of Brighton away about 10 years ago, my first away game with my mates and how well we were treated by Brighton fans, who were nothing but absolute gentlemen towards us, and helped us out with getting the bus to the ground etc.

Anyway, the main point of my post was to give my insight as to Hughton. I think he is a good appointment for you, with the position you are in at the moment.

He didn't work for Norwich, but I do think he is a very good Championship manager, as opposed to a capable Premier League one.

No doubt he was working against circumstance with the position we were in at the lower end of Prem, but he spent 12 million on strikers and then played a system which played to neither Hooper nor Van Wolfswinkel's strengths, resulting in a haul of just 6 goals between them, which was the primary reason we went down to be honest. He presided over a record transfer spend, then employed awful, negative tactics and never had a plan B. This is epitomised at 2-0 down after 30 mins against Man City, and he took a striker off and brought a Defensive Mid on to limit the damage. You might say that's sensible, but when you're in the moment, it's the most embarassing, disappointing display of lack of faith in his players. Basically he looked out of his comfort zone, and out of his depth.

My main problems with him was the negative, horrible football, lack of Plan B, (at Easter in his first season, we went 4 of 6 games without registering a shot on or off target) and absolute ineptitude with subs. He made 64 subs last year before any of them came on and scored, or even got an assist. No other manager in any division managed to have such little impact when making subs last season.

I do think, with another manager, we would have comfortably stayed up last season, and I said in November that if he was still in at Christmas, we were going down. The football we played was diabolical, I've never been less impassioned about Norwich than I was under CH. You may say that's circumstance, bottom end of the Prem etc. But Swansea, So'ton prove that is not necessarily the case if you have the right man in charge.

Overall CH just didn't fit with us, and what we wanted to achieve, and he never looked like a comfortable fit for the club. He did do some good things in the first season, we went on a 10 game unbeaten run, and put several of the big boys to the sword.

Having said all of that though, I do think he is a top manager at this level, and I think you will do well with him at the helm. Personally, I would not want him at Norwich for round 2, but that is purely based on the baggage that would be attached to that reality, rather than lacking faith in his ability. He had Bham and Newcastle playing lovely stuff. What he did at Newcastle is slightly marred by the fact they were a Premier League squad playing in the Champs, but he worked miracles at Birmingham and you only have to look at their struggles since he left to realise what an excellent job he did there.

I wish Chris nothing but good fortune, although it did not work out with us, he is a really nice bloke and deserves to be successful. I would be concerned if I were you with his ability to change a game if you go behind, but he will certainly make you more solid at the back so hopefully that won't happen too often.

It is absolutely nailed on you will sign Bassong off us by the way - he refers to Hughton as a "father". I suspect you may take Elliot Benno too, seems Adams doesn't like him for whatever reason - I think he's a decent player, but he doesn't seem to get a look in with us at the moment so I think best for all parties if he gets the move that I presume he wants, to BHA.

Good luck to Hughton, and good luck to yourselves for the rest of the season, genuinely hope he can help you put the struggles behind you and pushing on up the table.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Well let's hope he's learnt from his Norwich experience. I read that Delia reckons she sacked him prematurely, and Newcastle fans generally seemed to have loved the man.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks DerbyCanary and welcome to NSC. Don't worry about the negative comments, I'm pretty sure that the majority of Albion fans don't have a problem with NCFC.

Some interesting points there.

You mention that CH was always going to take you down but were you not in the bottom 3 when he left? (Presumably it was a case of the damage already done?).

I am a little concerned about a lack of Plan B, particularly as CMS will probably be the the potential sub/game changer.

CH has done well in the Championship before, so I am optimistic.

Cheers

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well let's hope he's learnt from his Norwich experience. I read that Delia reckons she sacked him prematurely, and Newcastle fans generally seemed to have loved the man.

Absolutely.

That is the whole point of experience - learning from what worked and what didn't work.

There is nothing set in stone, just because he could have made mistakes at Norwich in the PL, doesn't mean he'd make the same ones again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
he spent 12 million on strikers and then played a system which played to neither Hooper nor Van Wolfswinkel's strengths, resulting in a haul of just 6 goals between them
He'll fit right in.

DerbyCanary

Dec 31, 2014

No, we sacked him too late. Our CEO publically apologised as the fans wanted CH out before Christmas and the board failed to act. Called the failure to sack Hughton when he should have "The biggest failure of my 32 year career". Nobody at Norwich feels his sacking was premature. He needed to go. He's not a bad manager though because it didn't work out for us, Newcastle and Birmingham fans all love him, and if you look on our forums, you will see everyone wishes him well, although we don't share quite the same love for him due to what happened with him in charge of us, we all recognise he is a thoroughly nice bloke, and hope he finds success elsewhere.

DerbyCanary

Dec 31, 2014
Thanks DerbyCanary and welcome to NSC. Don't worry about the negative comments, I'm pretty sure that the majority of Albion fans don't have a problem with NCFC.

Some interesting points there.

You mention that CH was always going to take you down but were you not in the bottom 3 when he left? (Presumably it was a case of the damage already done?).

I am a little concerned about a lack of Plan B, particularly as CMS will probably be the the potential sub/game changer.

CH has done well in the Championship before, so I am optimistic.

Cheers

Cheers pal - Let's hope he has learnt lessons from his time with us. Damage was already done, we dropped points in crucial games we should have won against teams around us - WBA and Fulham (home) being the primary ones that sticks in the mind. It was obvious to all of us he wouldn't keep us up, and if you look at our fixtures when he went - we had Fulham away, Liverpool at home, Man Utd away, Chelsea away and Arsenal at home. Given the spankings we had from the big clubs, and the way we were playing at the time, he would never have kept us up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, we sacked him too late. Our CEO publically apologised as the fans wanted CH out before Christmas and the board failed to act. Called the failure to sack Hughton when he should have "The biggest failure of my 32 year career". Nobody at Norwich feels his sacking was premature. He needed to go. He's not a bad manager though because it didn't work out for us, Newcastle and Birmingham fans all love him, and if you look on our forums, you will see everyone wishes him well, although we don't share quite the same love for him due to what happened with him in charge of us, we all recognise he is a thoroughly nice bloke, and hope he finds success elsewhere.

Interesting comments. I don't think any of us mind Norwich, in all honesty, I think it was only when they were buying our players and coming on here giving it the Brighton feeder club nonsense etc.... probably irritated some.

Re Hughton, your comments are no different to what ours will be regarding Hyypia if anyone asks, seemed a decent bloke but in terms of being a football manager was lacking.

Would like Bassong and Elliott with a re-season may be worth another chance, especially if we play him on the wing.

DerbyCanary

Dec 31, 2014
But, as I say, I think he will do well for you and get you back towards the right end of the table.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
He spent 12 million on strikers and then played a system which played to neither Hooper nor Van Wolfswinkel's strengths, resulting in a haul of just 6 goals between them,

One Club, One Vision.....Kris Hewton fits right into our strategy in my opinion!

HEWTON IN

Feb 14, 2010
Hughton had a nightmare at Norwich. Clough had a nightmare at Brighton and Leeds. I'm not saying Hughton is Clough but as with all of us, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If there is any animosity from us towards Norwich it is probably to do with you raiding us for Crofts and Bennett and a certain arrogance from NCFC fans ( especially as represented on The Pink Un) that they could have whoever they wanted from the gay boys on the south coast. It hasn't always been pleasant (any more than our "six finger" responses).
Nice summary of a manager who does well in some clubs but just can't fit in at others. It really is how it works isn't it. Hopefully for CH we are more a Newcastle or a Birmingham than a Norwich - a club who will surely have to change managers again soon as Adams clearly doesn't cut it.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Some of the negative comments most probably come from when you was taking a couple of our players and we had a few Norwich fans on here being wum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here