Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gerrard, one of the greatest modern footballers

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Or massively over rated ?
personally id rather have scholes in a brighton shirt when in his prime than gerrard. But then thats just my opinion

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good but hardly one of the greatest modern players.

Feb 14, 2010
Massively over rated. Average ball control. Typical box to box midfielder loved in England. Never did it on the international stage and would not have got in Barca's B team. He is not a world class player. Ronaldo, Messi, Maradona, Gaza are world class players. Gerard is a good club footballer. Anyone who knows anything about football also knows that Scholes was the far better player. Shame our managers couldnt see beyond Gerard and Lampard.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's a hard one. A very good player, without question, but to be 'great' I think he'd need to have been at a more successful club than Liverpool. That's not to belittle the trophies he won there (mostly on his own) but he could and should have been lifting silverware on a regular basis.

As for Scholes, barring Zidane, there's no modern footballer I'd rather have in midfield.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Anyone who knows anything about football also knows that Scholes was the far better player. Shame our managers couldnt see beyond Gerard and Lampard.

If Scholes hadn't retired from international football he'd have been starting every match ahead of both of them I suspect.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As modern footballers go a model professional,no divorces, no affairs, no major car crashes, never missed a drugs test, never shagged someone's wife other than his own and never bit anyone. We will not see his like again. Mind you, he was a failure.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Heavy first touch resulting in some rash challenges. Can't fault his work rate or commitment though. Shone in a mostly average Liverpool team bar Suarez and Sturridge

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Feb 14, 2010
If Scholes hadn't retired from international football he'd have been starting every match ahead of both of them I suspect.

I thought he got pissed off with playing wide and the managers building a side around Gerard despite everyone knowing (except the press and manager) that Scholes was a footballer who could pull strings, and Gerard? Well he could run around from box to box chasing shadows of international teams who could pass it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought he got pissed off with playing wide and the managers building a side around Gerard despite everyone knowing (except the press and manager) that Scholes was a footballer who could pull strings, and Gerard? Well he could run around from box to box chasing shadows of international teams who could pass it.

Scholes was by far the better footballer, when he chased shadows, he caught them ,and, he usually put his studs right through them.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

He was definutely a victim of the English inability to play on the left that we were suffering back then. Even so, by removing himself from the equation it forced the Lampard/Gerrard partnership to continue for years due to our incredible lack of other decent options.

I think you're possibly being overly harsh towards Gerrard, you don't achieve the things he has in the game if you're merely an average midfield workhorse.

Feb 14, 2010
Scholes was by far the better footballer, when he chased shadows, he caught them ,and, he usually put his studs right through them.

Yep. Scholes didnt have to run around as much as he had vision to be in the right place. Hepulled the strings. Effortless class hence under rated. The best English player since Gaza, different to Gaxzza and not as good as Gazza but far better than Gerrard.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton

Also done a very good job aswel. Everyone thought he was a bit clumsy at tackling, including refs. But ex players who played against him say he new exactly what he was doing.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Sadly greater than any player we've had come up through the ranks, and who would have been first on our wall of leg ends.

Feb 14, 2010
He was definutely a victim of the English inability to play on the left that we were suffering back then. Even so, by removing himself from the equation it forced the Lampard/Gerrard partnership to continue for years due to our incredible lack of other decent options.

I think you're possibly being overly harsh towards Gerrard, you don't achieve the things he has in the game if you're merely an average midfield workhorse.

Yes maybe. He also to be fair turned around a Champions League final. He had a great second half in that game. But look at him as a player, average ball control and just not in the same class as Scholes if you ask me. But its all about opinions as Saint & Greavesie used to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here