Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apparently Phil Neville was offered the job in the Summer

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
But he turned it down as he hadn't completed his pro licence and wasn't 'ready'.

"‘I got offered a job in the summer – Brighton – and I turned it down, and people close to me thought I was stupid."

Thoughts?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
"A job" Doesn't tell you exactly what job though

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I suppose this could mean he was offered an interview rather than the job. Another punt in the dark by Bloom though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the lack of backing on players that Oscar and Hyypia APPEAR to have received I'd say he dodged a bullet. Time will tell if getting rid of Burke gives the manager a bigger say I imagine.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
He's talking sh*t, he wouldn't have turned it down if the actual job was offered to him. Well....it was my understanding that he was interested and so were we. The club spoke to him offering him the opportunity to manage us (just like Hyypia, Hantz & Clement were). From there (just like in the majority of management jobs) formal interviews would take place. Neville was so arrogant that he felt he should just get the job and therefore turned down the opportunity to manage the club. Dare I say it.....he wouldn't have got it anyway.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is amazing who comes out later and says they were 'offered' this job or that job.

I'm not saying Phil Neville definitely wasn't offered it, but occasionally the lines get a bit blurred between being interviewed/being in the frame/being sounded out about potential availability/being verbally and unconditionally offered the job/actually having a contract put under your nose.

I heard some days ago (not from an Albion source either, but another good one) that Malky Mackay has been going around saying he could have had the Brighton job in the summer but turned it down as he thought we would have a shocker this season (can't argue with that bit so far, anyway). Maybe he could, maybe he couldn't. Maybe he was close, maybe he was even offered it.

I think the point with Phil Neville is that IF he wants to be a manager, he is probably an idiot for turning it down, he isn't going to get a lot better than that for a first gig. What has changed things for a lot of these people is the alternative cozy, well-paid, easy option of being a media pundit. These jobs simply weren't available years ago on such a scale. FFS, even Ray Parlour and Perry Groves are doing very nicely on talkSPORT. Why would you work harder under so much more stress and uncertainty?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
But he turned it down as he hadn't completed his pro licence and wasn't 'ready'.

"‘I got offered a job in the summer – Brighton – and I turned it down, and people close to me thought I was stupid."

Thoughts?

I'd say he's got some pretty astute mates

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He's the kind of guy I am sure would make a shit manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here