Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does Hughton mean by expansive?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I hope this helps.
aexpans.jpg

Better explained here https://footballpoliticsandculture....sive-football-the-future-of-football-tactics/

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
New Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton has relished his first few days back in management with the Seagulls – and says that his immediate focus, alongside tomorrow’s FA Cup tie at Brentford, is on strengthening his squad.
Hughton, who has already brought back defender Greg Halford from Nottingham Forest, told seagulls.co.uk, “We need to get players into the squad, there’s no doubt about that. When you lose the volume of players you have this week then of course you need to replace them.
“The quicker we can get players in, the better, but one thing I have learned over many windows now is it’s never that easy. Sometimes there are deals you can do fairly quickly, ones which have been set up, but I think most teams now have got used to playing the game a bit in terms of the transfer window.
“Also, if players have options, sometimes they want to wait and see what other options they might have. Ideally it would be good to get players in early but it’s not always possible, but we have certainly spent a bit of time over the past days, we’re assessing a lot of things, but yes we certainly need to develop this squad.
“I have enjoyed it. It’s always about getting your feet under the table and of course in a first period there is always so much to do and a lot of that is getting to know people and of course getting to know the players, it’s more difficult to get to know the young players over a very short period of time, but that’s my responsibility and the quicker I do that the better.”

Meanwhile, Hughton says he is pleased to be starting with an FA Cup tie, as opposed to a Championship fixture – and is looking forward to returning to Griffin Park, where he ended his playing career. “I’m pleased it’s the FA Cup because it takes us away from that feel of going into a league game, but that does not mean this game is less important to us than a league game.
“We’re on the back of a draw against Reading and a good result against Fulham. One thing that you want to do in this game is keep some momentum going, and momentum can be in the form of results or how you perform on the football pitch.
“I had a fabulous time [at Brentford]. It was right at the end of my career, I retired after my spell there, but it was a good period for me because we managed to get promotion from the old third division to the second division.
“It was right at the end of my career and that stage I knew I wanted to stay in the game. The manager at the time got me involved in a couple of the coaching sessions as well.
“It’s a club I know quite well, I’ve been to see them quite a few times and have done very well in the last couple of seasons and you’ve got to give them credit for that.
“They play an expansive passing game and sometimes it’s not easy to take that into a higher league after promotion, to perform and get the results like they have this season. They have, but have done it in a very structured way. I think they are a club that have ambitions and plans for the future, but it’s been a very good season for them so far.”

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
With apologies, I'm not so sure any of these responses have helped thus far.
Although it might have been expected that @ RexCathedra would invoke Lewis Carroll at this point.

Jimmy Grimble

If in reference to this season's football, I'd say it's a diplomatic way of saying reckless.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
With apologies, I'm not so sure any of these responses have helped thus far.
Although it might have been expected that @ RexCathedra would invoke Lewis Carroll at this point.

the link [MENTION=14905]symyjym[/MENTION] put up (under the blackboard) explains it perfectly

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Worringly that picture looks a little like what Hyypia was trying to do. I'd rather see the fullbacks defend and cover the centre halves than sit on the wings without touching the ball for half the match.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I always took it to mean the dictionary definition i.e. that we try to play using the width of the pitch, rather than narrow and through the middle.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Sorry. Will do that routinely. I spend a lot of time corresponding with Houghton & Mifflin in the course of work.
It's a Nicky Forster/Foster thing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here