Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This sounds uncomfortably familiar...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?409-Chris-Hughton-the-view-from-Norwich

"Hughton’s ultra-cautious and defensive approach was maintained and unrest on the terraces soon began to be voiced. He didn’t really seemed to know his best starting eleven and never broke away from a cautious style of play - even when a goal or two down and needing to chase the game. If he had demonstrated a little more flexibility, we may well have gleaned a few vital extra points. His substitutions were often strange and always far too late to influence the course of a game. It almost appeared as though he was happy to defend a narrow deficit, as well as managing to grab defeat from the jaws of victory on several occasions."

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?409-Chris-Hughton-the-view-from-Norwich

"Hughton’s ultra-cautious and defensive approach was maintained and unrest on the terraces soon began to be voiced. He didn’t really seemed to know his best starting eleven and never broke away from a cautious style of play - even when a goal or two down and needing to chase the game. If he had demonstrated a little more flexibility, we may well have gleaned a few vital extra points. His substitutions were often strange and always far too late to influence the course of a game. It almost appeared as though he was happy to defend a narrow deficit, as well as managing to grab defeat from the jaws of victory on several occasions."

That's in the Premier League though. In the Championship, his record at Newcastle and Birmingham were great. To be honest, I read that review from the Norwich fan and thought that is one of the problems with the Internet. In the old days, Hughton would largely have got a fresh start with us but he's already being judged by our fans based on his mistakes at Norwich. If he'd done well at Norwich, he wouldn't be here so let's give him a chance rather than writing him off already!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really hate the way human beings refuse to learn from previous mistakes.
The way we continue to do exactly the same things that previously got us the sack, is baffling.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm taking that with a pinch of salt. Norwich were one of the smaller clubs in the Premier league with a small budget.

Anyway why not post stuff from Newcastle or Brum fans who held Hughton in high esteem? Bored of hearing negative views from Norwich fans only

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I could write some pretty negative things about the way we played under Poyet on occasions, it would be true but overlooking all the good things he brought and the times we were fabulous.

I think Norwich are the new Charlton, didn't know when they had it good and expected not to be struggling when they were patently bottom 6 material the whole time that they were in the Premier League. They might well have stayed up if Hughton had stayed as they were not in the bottom 3 when they sacked him. Aren't they now whinging about Hughton's replacement? The wonderful Lambert isn't pulling up any trees in the Premier League either.

That's not to say that Hughton may well bore us to tears but hopefully we can worry about that once he has got us clear from relegation to League One *shudder*

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As said before, Norwich fans are not a good guide. Speak to them a few months ago and Adams was doing a great job. Now...its a different story. They are like a mini Liverpool, wrapped up in their own self-importance, demeaning the Championship. They reckon they have the best, most loyal fans anywhere but they invented the word fickle.
They sacked Hughton when they wereb 17th in the PL and 5 points above safety. Not good enough for them...he had to go. Result...they got relegated. Panic stricken directors and fans.
Previous posters are right. Forget Norwich. The true guide, for us, is what he did at Newcastle and Birmingham.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
As said before, Norwich fans are not a good guide. Speak to them a few months ago and Adams was doing a great job. Now...its a different story. They are like a mini Liverpool, wrapped up in their own self-importance, demeaning the Championship. They reckon they have the best, most loyal fans anywhere but they invented the word fickle.
They sacked Hughton when they wereb 17th in the PL and 5 points above safety. Not good enough for them...he had to go. Result...they got relegated. Panic stricken directors and fans.
Previous posters are right. Forget Norwich. The true guide, for us, is what he did at Newcastle and Birmingham.

Agreed. They booed at the final whistle of our 3-3 draw up here recently. They have, dare I say it, a rather insular view of life.

Having said that, they should be top 3 this season given the players they have.

Fresh start for Hughton please, let's all not be too quick to judge whatever happens tomorrow.

PG

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
You could equally say Gus had no plan B and Garcia was too defensive, but look where those two got us in the league. Can't believe that Hughton wouldn't have learnt from all of the clubs he's managed, including Norwich. I would hope by retaining Nathan Jones and having knowledge of how we've played over the last few seasons, will help Hughton to get it right.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Even the Norwich blogger admits that the Canaries fanbase was split on the subject of CH.

Therefore there must be some who thought he did OK.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think Norwich are the new Charlton, didn't know when they had it good and expected not to be struggling when they were patently bottom 6 material the whole time that they were in the Premier League. They might well have stayed up if Hughton had stayed as they were not in the bottom 3 when they sacked him. Aren't they now whinging about Hughton's replacement?

True, Hughton might have kept them up but 4 of their last five fixtures were Liverpool (H), Manchester united (A), Chelsea (A) and Arsenal (H). I think they sacked him hoping for the "new boss boost" which never came.

That said, I agree wholeheartedly with your overall sentiment. I don't understand why people automatically look for the negatives and studiously avoid the positives. As others said, where are the quotes from Newcastle fans? Or Birmingham fans? Lets look forward with hope!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Humans do have the ability to learn from their mistakes.

Some do ...

I have an active interest in "change" and the impact change has on human behavior -its often rooted in fear of the unknown, closely followed by fear of failure.

Couple of quotes first:
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what to always got"
and
"If you want something to change, first you have to change something"

When I come up against resistors to change, I love to quote house design [since almost all of us live in house, so can easily assimilate].

Before 1900 pretty much everyone except the high gentry took their "dump" in the proverbial "brick shit house". A separate detached building to the main house. With the arrival of mains water and sewerage, house design changed to enable you to crap in the comfort of your own [warm-ish] home - change for the better? The concept of taking a dump in your own home was unthinkable to the Victorians but now its the norm.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think the fact Ricky van Wolfswinkel couldn't score in the PL was a big factor for the board despite his scoring record at Sporting. Wolfswinkel most likely needed a season to adapt to life in the PL Delia panicked and CH was the scapegoat, also Lambert left at the first chance he got suggests all is not right at Norwich, I have a hunch CH will do well with us and hopefully will get us into the top six next season.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Oh, by the way Winston Churchill's dead!!! This stuff was being touted when his name first came up, what the f**ks the point in regurgitating it.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
So essentially CH has previously made the wrong decision from time to time. Clearly this is a sign of impending doom for the Albion.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Managers will always look good at some clubs and total rubbish at others. Where are Norwich now? Are they tearing this league apart? Remember it's not just about the manager, the clubs ambition plays a big part and whether they can afford to fund a relegation battle. They will tell you They would rather have Lambert back. Ask Villa fans about Lambert and it will not be the same if you ask a Norwich fan. Let's give him time and not judge him on his first priority which is to keep us in this league. Give him a chance to get us out of trouble and then let's see how he approaches next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here