Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
A new year, a new thread, following on from Albums Thread 2014.

Some of these have been mentioned in the previous thread but they are due soon

Belle & Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime want to Dance (out January 19th)
[yt]3vS1Hf3CVGs[/yt]

Public Service Broadcasting - Race for Space (Out February 23rd)
[yt]wY-kAnvOY80[/yt]

Dan Deacon - Glass Riffer (February 23rd)
[yt]kK-1axSGkXc[/yt]

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
There is a Sleater Kinney album being released this year, that's all that matters for me!

Not everyone's cup of tea but Decemberists also have an album out this year.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Public Service Broadcasting album will be an interesting listen. Are they or are they not a one trick pony?

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
There is a Sleater Kinney album being released this year, that's all that matters for me!

Not everyone's cup of tea but Decemberists also have an album out this year.

I thought Sleater-Kinney split up/retired a few years ago? Great if they're back together again.

Two of their previous tracks in particular are brilliant: "I'm Not Waiting" and "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone" punk:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
At least they are sticking to a single subject for this one which is probably the best thing they can do given their limitations - worked brilliantly on War Room EP less so on the pick andmix first album.

Agree. I saw them live twice- once at The Haunt supporting British Sea Power and once as headliners at Concorde 2. Really enjoyed them but wonder if they can maintain the initial attraction.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The release schedule starts to kick in next week with the new Panda Bear record - Sleater-Kinney to follow a couple of weeks later (I'm already excited to see them in Paris in March)

Pitchfork's most anticpated albums - http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9574-the-most-anticipated-releases-of-2015/3/

One of my favourite producers at the moment has a hand in 2 of my most anticpated records. The Haxan Cloak is involved in both the new Bjork album and is sole producer of the album I'm hoping will give music a big kick up the arse later in the year - the new HEALTH album.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Keen to hear, as always, what Bjork and Belle & Sebastien have for us.

Also an imminent new album from my favourite Spector-inspired Welsh indie-poppers The School.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just pre-ordered my first album of 2015. Only heard one track and never heard of them till now.

Love and Logic by Sons of Bill. Only heard one track - Lost in the Cosmos (Song for Chris Bell) but suspect I'm on to a winner here.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Just listened to the new all songs considered, they played a couple of tracks I quite enjoyed one from Jessica Pratt who is a female singer songwriter with some affected vocals which might be the wrong side of marmite for some but I quite enjoy it.

JESSICA PRATT - 'On Your Own Love Again': http://youtu.be/1hLJusxYhbY

Album out Jan 27.

The other was the title track from the new go! team album out March 24th. Super catchy Indie pop.

The Go! Team - The Scene Between: http://youtu.be/lGhFLgaJ2eM

They also played a bit of Panda Bear which I was just a bit bleeeeeeehhhh on, feel like the time of that type of Electro with floaty vocals has been and past.

Thanks for that The School track HKFC I'll make sure to check that LP out.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I thought Sleater-Kinney split up/retired a few years ago? Great if they're back together again.

Two of their previous tracks in particular are brilliant: "I'm Not Waiting" and "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone" punk:

Those are both off Call the Doctor, my favourite Sleater Kinney album, new album is out in January!

Still gutted I lost my yellow dog t shirt I bought off Janet Weiss at a gig in Oxford.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
deletebeepbeepbeep;67527 61 said:
Thanks for that The School track HKFC I'll make sure to check that LP out.

You're welcome. Have another..l

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thanks for the link, I'll be putting it on this evening but any impressions?

I have been enjoying the Ghost Culture album a lot, bits of Fujiya & Miyagi bits of Animal Collective hits a lot of notes across the electro spectrum, lots of toe tapping tunes.

Just saw it, so I haven't listened to it yet. Will do so this evening.

From what I've read it's back to the short, punchy tracks and slightly scratchier production of Dig Me Out. I would have liked to see them continue travelling down the line where The Woods left off. But **** it, it's a new Sleater-Kinney album, it's going to be brilliant and even if it isn't, I get to see them live.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
2015 so far:

Fabulous - The Young OG Project.

Surpisngly OG doesn't stand for Oscar Garcia and this isn't an album about Rohan Ince and his transformation from an average CB to a promising midfielder. It's actually a very solid rap album, nothing groundbreaking here but I've given it a couple of spins and it's a good yardstick for Rap/Hip-Hop in 2015... even though it might be from 2014. Itunes claim it isn't dropping for another couple of weeks, but last.fm and Spotify have it being released around Christmas 2014.

Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife.

I went it to this album with really low expectations but found myself blown away by just how shit this is. Rae Stremmurd are two brothers from Mississippi who will hopefully now fall off the face of the earth. This album offers nothing original, but whereas Fabulous put out a solid, no frills rap album, these two clowns put together a collection of tracks that are just offensive to my eardrums. It's the usual shite about drinking lean, smoking weed, partying and having sex with hookers. This is apart from the last song which is strangely about Safe Sex. I think all rap albums should now finish with a public service announcement. I for one can't wait for Kendrick Lamar to release his song about how you should look both ways before crossing the road.

Ghost Culture - Ghost Culture

Ghost Culture has picked up a pretty big following on SoundCloud over the last 12 months and his debut album doesn't disappoint. Ambient House mixed with IDM and a pinch of Trance. This is an album I can see growing on me throughout the year, wouldn't be surprised to see this make a lot of Top 10 albums in 12 months time. If you like Electric music this is worth a listen.

Låpsley - Understudy EP

The best thing released so far in 2015, by a mile. Understudy is only a little 15 minute, 4 track EP by 18 year old Liverpudlian Singer/Producer Holly Fletcher. She's already been picking up some airplay on BBCR1 and even played at Glastonbury last year on the BBC Introducing stage. Another Ambient/Electric album but elevated above Ghost Culture in my eyes by some beautiful vocals. One to watch in 2015, she's got a big career ahead of her if this is anything to go by.

Camm Hunter - Just Saying & Nipsey Hustle - Mailbox Money

Pretty meh Hip-Hop albums, the kind of records I'll forget I even listened to by March. Neither of them are terrible though.

Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper

Giving it my first listen now and it sounds promising. Will need to give it a few more listens before I come to a conclusion though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper

Giving it my first listen now and it sounds promising. Will need to give it a few more listens before I come to a conclusion though.

Only listened to it the once so far, my overwheming impression was that there is a hip-hop flavour to the beats.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Early thread diversion. I've been having a massive Bowie revival recently.

Is there a better 5 album run by anyone than Station to Station, Low, "Heroes", Lodger and Scary Monster?

Digging this inparticular at the moment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here