Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curse you Science Museum

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've spent the last 6 and a half hours in the Science Museum and still missed out on at least one and a half levels.
It's no wonder they don't charge entry if that's what they call value for money. :lol:

Cracking day out, I aged terribly when showing the kids how to use an old skool dial telephone. :facepalm:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Did you also explain having to phone the operator to ask her to put you through to the number you wanted? Maybe you didn't go that old school

I did have to explain reverse charges once to someone at work....come to think of it can you do that anymore?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's all there to be played with [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION].
Plus a Morse code tappy thing, then round the corner I heard:-

'what's that?'
'but how does it work?'.
'well my old number was 7724266, so if I called home I had to dial that?'.
'how?'.
(oh Jesus wept). :lol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We've spent the last 6 and a half hours in the Science Museum and still missed out on at least one and a half levels.
It's no wonder they don't charge entry if that's what they call value for money. :lol:

Cracking day out, I aged terribly when showing the kids how to use an old skool dial telephone. :facepalm:

Absolutely right, and when you consider that you have the Natural History Museum, and the V & A close at hand too. You could almost be there for a week lol.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is a nightmare in summer when there are millions of bespectacled Asians queueing up to get in.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Did you manage to touch the ball in the middle of the circular table? Couldn't do it about 40 years,ago but I can do it now!

Did you manage to touch the ball in the middle of the circular table? Couldn't do it about 40 years,ago but I can do it now!

Fond memories of that, is it still there? I recall that when we visited Ambeley Museum a few years ago the younger Pottings were fascinated by the phone exhibit particularly the dialling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All the classics are still there.
But unlike the Natural History Museum it just doesn't look 'tired'.
Maybe that's to do with the lay out, not quite knowing what's round the next corner, or hanging from the ceiling.

If a museum has you thinking:-

'I wish I had more time to look at history of wrist watches' :yawn:

it's clearly doing something very right.

As and when we next go, we're going to have to make a blinkered bolt to the lift, go to the very top and work our way down.
It's bloody impossible to get off the ground floor.

Last edited:

el punal

As aged as remembering to press Button A on a public telephone when connected, or press Button B to get your money back! :smile:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I did have to explain reverse charges once to someone at work....come to think of it can you do that anymore?

Still available via the 100 operator or 0800-REVERSE but the charges are exorbitant.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did it have A & B buttons. I vaguely remember them in public phone boxes but cannot remember what they were for.

press button A when the distant subscriber answers or press button B to get coins back if no reply.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

If you can get into the smoke relatively cheap and take a pack lunch you can have a great day out for very little but you need a bit of stamina.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did it have A & B buttons. I vaguely remember them in public phone boxes but cannot remember what they were for.

The last working A/B button kiosk on the BT network was in the village of Rhenigidale on the Isle of Harris , in the mid 80's it was converted to a "blue" payphone and given a 6 digit number to allow incoming and outgoing calls without using the local operator.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here