Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sad Demise Of The F A Cup...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Happy New Year, and it's FA Cup time. I guess to some of us it matters more than others. I've transcribed my, somewhat bitter, thoughts. (Includes the goals from our defeat of Liverpool in 1984, and coverage of Malcolm Allison's team who simply needed to 'turn up' to beat Halifax Town at the muddy Shay in 1980)

https://brightonlines.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/the-sad-demise-of-the-fa-cup/

Can the tournament ever return to its former glories ?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
No, unfortunately other than a route into Europe it's lost it's sparkle due to the financial allure of the "Almighty" Premier Leagueand the Champions league and as a result of this the countries best sides feilding reserve sides all the way to semis yet inevitably the competion is still won by one of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea or Man city with the odd exepcton e.g Wigan Portsmouth in recent years.

Additionally for me the fact the Semi finals are now played at Wembley which somehow sneaked in the back door after 1991 and the Spurs Arsenal and Sheff Wed/ Sheff Utd semi and has now become a permanent feature devalues the final trip to wenbley all in the name of making a few more quidatmosphere of the semis has been lost due to this.

Finally when i was kid growing up it was the BIG day in teh english football calendar Mid to late eighties i remember watching the coverage from early morning through to the match itself does anyone do this any more?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Normally always look forward to the Cup,however in view of our present position in the league a quick exit would be safer,thinking particularly of injuries.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Has gone down further this season with half the games from each round being played on a Sunday for no other reason than to give the BBC a goals programme on Sunday afternoon. May be better to do away with replays and go to extra time and penalties and also the higher ranked team must play away.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Well I can't wait for the trip to Brentford on Saturday and at £10 its a bargain day out. We win and we are in the draw live on BBC 2. I love the FACup.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Thinking of the first finals that stick in my head 86 Everton Liverpool great game then 87 Spurs Coventry another cracker. 88 Wimbledons crazy gang beat Liverpool, game wasn't great but what a moment. Finals in recent years have been dull old affairs.

Jan 30, 2008
Thinking of the first finals that stick in my head 86 Everton Liverpool great game then 87 Spurs Coventry another cracker. 88 Wimbledons crazy gang beat Liverpool, game wasn't great but what a moment. Finals in recent years have been dull old affairs.
What about 83:whistle:
regards
DR

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Happy New Year, and it's FA Cup time. I guess to some of us it matters more than others. I've transcribed my, somewhat bitter, thoughts. (Includes the goals from our defeat of Liverpool in 1984, and coverage of Malcolm Allison's team who simply needed to 'turn up' to beat Halifax Town at the muddy Shay in 1980)

https://brightonlines.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/the-sad-demise-of-the-fa-cup/

Yes, fully agree -it seem such a shame, given the traditions of the tournament. The money associated with the Premier League surely has something to do with it, and also I think that it might be due to the fact that in the UK there are so many more foreign owners/managers/ players, who have not been brought up used to the tradition of the Cup.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just heard the annual BBC 5Live puff for this years Cup " The FA Cup is back bigger than ever " So, are European teams entering this year ?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Yes, it has lost its sheen but still gives the opportunity for clubs like Hull last season and us in 1983 for a bit of excitement.

I was disappointed last season that we failed to hang on against Hull, had we done so the route to Wembley was set out. Think we would have beaten Sunderland as they were so crap against Hull, and would have fancied our chances against Sheff U. We probably would have lost to the plastics in the Final but it would have been THE day out for many supporters. Hope that CH takes it more seriously; Brentford are beatable.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Great programme on BBC3 (i think) last night from 9pm to 11.....50 greatest FA cup moments. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes I thought it was very good. Good to see our Gordon in there. But the crazy gang beating liverpool in 88 was the biggest upset in my opinion.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes, it has lost its sheen but still gives the opportunity for clubs like Hull last season and us in 1983 for a bit of excitement.

I was disappointed last season that we failed to hang on against Hull, had we done so the route to Wembley was set out. Think we would have beaten Sunderland as they were so crap against Hull, and would have fancied our chances against Sheff U. We probably would have lost to the plastics in the Final but it would have been THE day out for many supporters. Hope that CH takes it more seriously; Brentford are beatable.

Fingers crossed they'll put out a weakened side and we'll be in with a chance.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's the FAs fault only concerned with making money

Well you could argue it's a 'chicken and egg' situation, but ultimately it's the fans who are killing the cup with disinterest. Every year we have these 'not interested in the Cup' posts by people to whom league position is the be-all and end-all. Premier League fans aren't interested because they either want to finish fourth, or they want to avoid relegation. Both those are seen as 'better' than winning the FA Cup. Brighton fans (and fans of other non-prem clubs) simply follow their example.

It's my annual moan, but at least this season the tune's been changed a bit. Normally people on here say the Cup is a distraction from a promotion campaign. This year of course it's relegation they're scared of. And even if we were in mid-table people would still say 'well we can still make the play-offs so we shouldn't worry about the Cup this year and make a determined effort in the League instead'. Bollocks to that. Let's try and win the Cup and let the League look after itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here