Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton will not tear up playing style [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
New Albion boss Chris Hughton has vowed not to rip up the club's continental playing style.
Londoner Hughton has followed three foreign managers into the plush seats at The Amex.
The former Norwich, Birmingham and Newcastle boss will tinker with the methods established by Gus Poyet, Oscar Garcia and Sami Hyypia, not abandon them.
Hughton told The Argus: "I'm very conscious there is a style and philosophy of play that we've had here for five years under the last three managers which has been an expansive style of football and possession-based style of play and in some cases predominantly a 4-3-3.
"What would be wrong of me would be to change that completely. I've generally tended to play more of 4-4-1-1 system or a 4-2-3-1 system, which in itself can be possession based, and follow the same philosophy we have followed here in the past.
"Possibly at times not as expansive as what has been employed here over the last five years, but it's up to me to make sure I get that right balance because what you want to do is play winning football.
"You want the supporters to enjoy what they are seeing and you want to have a real good structure to the team. And that's what I'll be trying to do here."
The 4-2-3-1 formation referred to by Hughton was used at times this season by Hyypia during his brief, ill-fated reign.
Caretaker Nathan Jones also set the team up in that way for Monday's 2-0 win at Fulham.
Albion have hired Hughton until June 2018, so he will have the time to develop his own strategy.
For the moment though it is all about the here and now - and that means steering the club out of trouble at the wrong end of the Championship.
They are above the relegation zone only on goal difference, despite Monday's morale-boosting victory under Jones at Craven Cottage.
Hughton said of his three-and-a-half-year contract: "I'm delighted to be here for that period of time. That period of time is a strong indication for me that there is something here that can really develop and push this club forward.
"But first and foremost it has to be about getting ourselves into a position in the league we are more comfortable with.
"But there are ambitions for this club and it is about fulfilling them."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here