Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 50 Sitcoms

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just finished watching this Channel 5 programme from last night. Now I know these things are subjective and are probably voted for by a lot more women than men. I can almost understand Are You Being Served, It Ain't Alf Hot Mum, The Likely Lads, On The Buses, George And Mildred and a few others not making the list.

But, bearing in mind the list contained Miranda, Mrs Brown's Boys, The Golden Girls, Parks and Recreation among others, I cannot understand how The Office or Phoenix Nights are not in the Top 50. Even weirder is that C5 trailed the programme by talking about the Likely Lads and Happy Days but neither were included.

I'm probably in the minority by quite liking these talking heads Top lists but I won't spoiler the actual list. Can't argue too much with some of the top positions but some of the titles completely missing was completely baffling.

Anyone else watch this? (Probably not live as it was 9-12 last night).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Parks and Recreation - is that one program or two. Either way, never heard of it/them. Not sure The Office would be classed as a sitcom for some reason.
Arrested Development was included - another Mockumentary. Forgot to add that Frank Spencer was notable by his absence. As was Bottom. But Outnumbered was in. I can only guess that the ones that missed out were not on the list offered for public vote.

P&R is a US sitcom - I have heard of it but never seen it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I cannot understand how The Office ... not in the Top 50.
WTF! I watched the last 15 or so, and as we hadn't seen The Office show up yet, we wondered whether it would have the top slot. Ridiculous to not be in the top 50. The number one would be my personal choice too though, so I forgive it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
WTF! I watched the last 15 or so, and as we hadn't seen The Office show up yet, we wondered whether it would have the top slot. Ridiculous to not be in the top 50. The number one would be my personal choice too though, so I forgive it.
At least it is in good company. No Curb Your Enthusiasm either. We must know nothing. Hi-De-Hi and Keeping Up Appearances are obviously much better.

If I was cynical, I would say the availability of Jeffery Holland and Vikki Michelle and a woman from KUA may have swayed the choices somewhat.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I didn't watch it. But if the Top 10 didn't include Dad's Army, Porridge, Curb, Steptoe & Son, In Sickness & In Health, Rising Damp, Phoenix Nights and any Alan Patridge series then, quite frankly, I'm staggered.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I didn't watch it. But if the Top 10 didn't include Dad's Army, Porridge, Curb, Steptoe & Son, In Sickness & In Health, Rising Damp, Phoenix Nights and any Alan Patridge series then, quite frankly, I'm staggered.

Partridge was the only one in the top 10. Curb, ISAIH, Rising Damp and Phoenix Nights not in the list at all.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The Office, like it or not, it has been copied in over 9 other countries of which I'm aware of.
As I said, it is subjective. But not in the Top 50? According to Wiki, it won the following:

At the British Comedy Awards in 2001, The Office won the Best New TV Comedy award. In 2002, the series won the Best TV Comedy award, and Gervais the Best TV Comedy Actor award.

In 2003, The Office won the Golden Globe Award for "Best Television Series: Musical Or Comedy", beating nominees Arrested Development, Monk, Sex and the City and Will & Grace. It was the first British comedy in 25 years to be nominated for a Golden Globe, and the first ever to win one. Ricky Gervais was also awarded the Golden Globe for "Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series: Musical or Comedy" for his role. The same year, the series won a Peabody Award.[9]

In 2005, the series' concluding two-part special was nominated for two Emmys in the categories of "Outstanding Made for Television Movie" and "Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special".[10]

Entertainment Weekly put it on its end-of-the-decade, "best-of" list, saying, "We love the Scranton crew. But Ricky Gervais' mockumentary series about sadsack employees in Slough, England, is the undisputed champion of awesomely awkward cubicle hell."[11] And then the magazine put it 14 on its top 100 TV shows of all time, citing that "Anytime you watch something on TV so awkward you don't know whether to laugh or shield your eyes in horror, you can thank Ricky Gervais' biting British mockumentary for the pleasure."

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
which tells us what exactly?
The presence of more female oriented sitcoms (Miranda, Ab Fab, Will & Grace, Golden Girls etc) above more critically acclaimed, male-centric series. I may be wrong but I would be amazed if it wasn't the case that the number of female voters as opposed to male voters in most, if not all, TV votes is very imbalanced. And it therefore follows that the tastes of the voters will be skewed accordingly.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
What were the top 3?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
What were the top 3?
OK - Spoiler Alert (Probably not spoiling it for anyone)

3. Friends
2. Father Ted
1. Blackadder

OFAH was around 8 or 9 from memory which was surprising.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Some were surprising - the inclusion of Miranda was just insulting. Nice to see Spaced quite high on the list.

I'm also surprised The Office wasn't on there. After several watches I much prefer the US version to the UK one but both are superb.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
If this programme had been done in Germany David Hasselhoff for Knight Rider would have been #1 by a long shot. US show about Hasselhoff talking to his computerized car. Awful, awful programme.

MV5BNjQzNzQwMDk1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkxNzIzMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Die Deutschen lieben Hasselhoff

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Parks & Recreation is quite good. US sitcom quite liked over here but not as good as Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half Men, Were they in it?

And none a patch on The Office. Obviously a silly list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here